Subject: [RTG-DIR] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-03

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 16:50:28 +0200

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. 
The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related 
drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and 
sometimes on special request. The purpose of the review is to provide 
assistance to the Routing ADs. For more information about the Routing 
Directorate, please see 
​http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgDir

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it 
would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF 
Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through 
discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-03
Reviewer: Thomas Morin
Review Date: 2017-07-10
IETF LC End Date: ?
Intended Status: Informational

Summary:

     No issues found. This document is ready for publication.

Comments:

     Saying that the draft is well written would be an understatement: 
it reads like a fairy tale.  And a nicely illustrated one.

     Beyond the (barely) private joke, despite the document being 
overall fairly honest in detailing the conditions under which the PCE 
architecture and PCEP could be generically applicable to central 
control, I'm under the impression that the document could exercise a bit 
more criticism on this idea in some places. In particular, section 3.2.3 
on service delivery and the start of section 4, may lead the reader into 
believing that it it may actually be easy to adapt PCEP for this use 
case ("only realtively minor changes"), even though the document does 
not provide rationale to support that this would be easier than, for 
instance, completing the Netconf/YANG framework for the same purpose. 
That is to say, the document would be more interesting in this area, if 
it was discussing whether or not actually choosing to extend PCEP for 
this purpose is a direction to favor in particular.

Nits:

     First paragraph of section 2.1.1 ends with 'control "domains." ' 
where I would have expected 'control "domains".', but this is possibly 
just me being not aware of a typography rule.

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:01:56 +0000

Thanks Thomas for your interesting review!

Authors, please address Thomas's comments.

Deborah

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Thomas Morin [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:50 AM
> To: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Subject: RtgDir review: draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-03
> 
> Hello,
> 
> ​https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-
> 3A__trac.tools.ietf.org_area_rtg_trac_wiki_RtgDir&d=DwIDaQ&c=LFYZ-
> o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=6UhGpW9lwi9dM7jYlxXD8w&m=dYt_uZ5uB08O3EFhi
> 5aQ3Fgt9fIdElyYA8nWKgoWnII&s=VgngsyYiKcZuyhBvK4WMbM78q0tadt-
> KHydEo2C7u1A&e=
>

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:04:02 +0000

Thomas,

Regarding the NIT, there is a grammar rule that (generally) applies: punctuation that would follow the last word in quoted text is (generally) included before the closing quotation mark.

There can be an argument against this usage in those cases where including the punctuation "as part of the quotation" might be seen as an abuse of the general rule, where including the punctuation is arguably the same as misquoting the original text or statement.  

For examples:
1) including a period in a partial quote that might cause a reader to conclude that the quote represents the complete thought (or statement) of the originator when this is not the case (particularly if it is likely that this conclusion would cause a reader to get an impression of the originator's intent that quite obviously diverges from their actual intent - this is quite often referred to as "quoting out of context"),
2) when punctuation is used to emphasize a quote where no such emphasis was included or intended in the quoted text.

There are very likely other examples where similar issues might arise as a result of inadvertent or deliberate abuse of the rules for using quotation marks.

I believe it is useful to avoid this issue if there is any possibility that it may lead to misinterpretation of the originator's possible intentions.

--
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: rtg-dir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas Morin
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:50 AM
To: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [RTG-DIR] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-03

Hello,

Summary:

Comments:

Nits: