Subject: [Rucus] Proposed Charter Text

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:23:35 +0200

Here is the current proposal for the charter that includes some of 
suggestions I received.

--------------

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines a system for user-to-user 
multimedia communications.
Therefore, it is susceptible to unwanted communication attempts. RFC 
5039 analyzes the problem of
spam in SIP and examines various possible solutions that have been 
discussed for email and considers
their applicability to SIP.

RFC 5039 gives good, high-level recommendations regarding future work, 
namely

    * Strong Identity
    * White Lists
    * Solve the Introduction Problem
    * Don't Wait Until It's Too Late

Strong identities and white lists will be essential but do do not 
address all problems. Among the
challenges are compromised  hosts controlled by a botnet, even with 
access to credentials, are
the major source of email spam today and expected to remain the main 
source of SIP spam in the future.

Among the many individual solution building blocks that are discussed in 
RFC 5039 (including content
filtering, black lists, white lists, consent-based communication, 
reputation systems, address
obfuscation, limited use addresses, turing tests, computational puzzles, 
payments at risk, circles
of trust, and many others) there is no framework outlined how various 
mechanisms work together to
produce a complete solution nor does the document attempt to offer a 
ranking to determine which
solutions could form an initial set of candidate for subsequent 
standardization.

This exploratory group chartered for one year aims to create a venue 
where discussions on unwanted
communication in SIP can take place. The main goal of the group is to 
produce an architecture
document that sheds light on the interworking between a minimal set of 
building blocks.
The architectural investigations should cover different threat models, 
including those of
compromised end hosts.

The group will consider prior work on SIP identity and related 
techniques and will consult with
privacy experts to deal with the regulatory aspects of blocking 
communication attempts.

Outside the scope of the group are investigations in the area of voice 
analysis and algorithms for
statistical analysis.

Milestones

Mar 08.....BoF @ IETF#71
Jul 08........Formation of an exploratory working group
Jan 09.......First WG draft on the architecture document
Jun 09.......Submit architecture document to the IESG for consideration 
as informational RFC
Jul 09........Close group and decide on future work

_______________________________________________
Rucus mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rucus