Subject: [Rucus] article: Six botnets churning out 85 percent of all spam

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:13:47 -0800

To get a feeling of botnets and their contribution to today's email spam:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080305-six-botnets-churning-out-85-perc
ent-of-all-spam.html

        "...
        At its peak, the Storm network accounted for 21 percent of all spam
and contained an estimated 85,000 bots. Mega-D, on the other hand, grew to
encompass 32 percent of the spam network in early February, but contained only
an estimated 35,000 bots.
        ..."

        http://www.marshal.com/trace/traceitem.asp?article=567

-d

_______________________________________________
Rucus mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rucus

---

From: Otmar Lendl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:07:17 +0100

> an estimated 35,000 bots.

If we think that the threat to open SIP proxies is comparable to the
spam problem in the current email ecosystem, then this bodes ill for any
approach which is based on trust between originating and terminating SIP
provider. (e.g. interface (b) from draft-niccolini-sipping-spitstop-01)

/ol
-- 
-=-  Otmar Lendl  --  [email-masked]  -=-
_______________________________________________
Rucus mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rucus