Subject: [Rucus] case study of the recent VoIP attack

From: Hendrik Scholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:09:39 +0100

Hi!

During the f2f meeting the recent 'SPIT' case in Europe (esp. Germany)
came up. Klaus Darilion already wrote a good summary on
this: http://www.ipcom.at/index.php?id=565

We do know a couple of weaknesses in current IAD/CPE/UAS/endpoint 
implementations. These are not protocol weaknesses but rather pitfalls
that (may) exist in endpoints.

I agreed to write these up but before starting just like to know what 
kind of format would be best. draft-style?

The content outline I think about would be along the lines of
mistakes that UASes could make when interpreting inbound messages, i.e.
  - missing/wrong RURI checks
  - accepting From/P-Asserted-Identity/... as valid
  - accepting traffic from everywhere

Focus (from my point of view) would not be on media but on
mostly on SIP layer as well as some IP stuff.

Cheers,
  Hendrik

-- 
Hendrik Scholz <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Rucus mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rucus

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:11:00 +0200

A writeup in a draft style format would be good. 

Ciao
Hannes

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>On Behalf Of ext Hendrik Scholz
>Sent: 18 November, 2008 02:10
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Rucus] case study of the recent VoIP attack
>
>Hi!
>
>During the f2f meeting the recent 'SPIT' case in Europe (esp. 
>Germany) came up. Klaus Darilion already wrote a good summary on
>We do know a couple of weaknesses in current 
>IAD/CPE/UAS/endpoint implementations. These are not protocol 
>weaknesses but rather pitfalls that (may) exist in endpoints.
>
>I agreed to write these up but before starting just like to 
>know what kind of format would be best. draft-style?
>