Subject: [Rucus] minutes (was: Re: IETF75: lunch on thursday?)

From: Hendrik Scholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:18:44 +0200

Hi!

Well, there isn't much worth writing about regarding the last
meeting.
Victor Pascual Avila, Jan Janak, Nils Ohlmeier, Jan Seedorf and me
gathered for some food.

Some companies/organizations cut back on spendings with regards
to Anti-SPIT development/research and thus not too much is happening.
No interesting new SPIT case was found (I guess that could
be good or bad ;).

No consent was found during a discussion on the SPAM score draft.
We have contradicting believes on whether this approach makes sense
and if ITSPs would trust headers sent by remote/originating SSPs.

I also mentioned that the VoIP Security Alliance (VoIPSA.org)
needs some more traffic and an overhaul of their good but
outdated whitepaper. If you have some time to spare it might
be worth contributing.

Since IETF 71 I summarized a few issues and uploaded
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-scholz-endpoint-security-00.txt
Please post feedback on this to the list or directly to me.
I plan on uploading an updated version in time for Hiroshima.

Cheers,
 Hendrik

-- 
Hendrik Scholz <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:09:29 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Hendrik Scholz
> Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:19 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Rucus] minutes (was: Re: IETF75: lunch on thursday?)
> 
> Hi!
> 

They wouldn't trust those headers.  That wasn't my intent when I
wrote the spam score draft, though.  Rather, my intent was exactly
how "X-Spam-Score:" is used in email today:  it is generated by
your own mailer -- which you trust enough to store your email
and send your email on your behalf.  Likewise, the SIP spam score 
header would be generated by your own, well-loved farm of SIP proxies
that, as a whole, are your ITSP.

This allows the ITSP to do spam scoring on your behalf and you
could then configure the last-hop proxy, or your own SIP UA,
to accept/reject/redirect incoming calls based on time of day,
the spam score, the from: field, or whatever other criteria are
interesting.

It's *far* down the future before an ITSPs would trust a spam
score generated by some other ITSP -- if ever.

-d

> _______________________________________________
> Rucus mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rucus