Subject: [saag] TSVWG last call on "UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers" to BCP

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:09:22 +0200

Hi,

I would like to inform that currently TSVWG has started the WG last call
on "UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers"
(draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-06) with the intended status of BCP. It
runs until the 21st of April. If you like to provide any comments please
send them to the TSVWG mailing list ([email-masked]).

Abstract:

    The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal, message-passing
    transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.
    Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
    Internet, applications and upper-layer protocols that choose to use
    UDP as an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent
    congestion collapse and establish some degree of fairness with
    concurrent traffic.  This document provides guidelines on the use of
    UDP for the designers of such applications and upper-layer protocols.
    Congestion control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document
    also provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
    reliability, checksums and middlebox traversal.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-06.txt

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------