Subject: [saag] SMIME WG summary

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:56:02 -0400

This is a summary of the SMIME WG meeting held in Philadelphia as part of
IETF 71.

The S/MIME WG met immediately after SAAG on Thursday, March 13 2008.  Mr.
Turner provided a status overview of the WG:
 - There has been one new RFC since the last IETF: CAdES was published as
RFC5126
 - There is one ID with the RFC editor: draft-ietf-smime-symkeydist
 - There are two drafts working out IESG comments: 
      draft-ietf-smime-ibarch and draft-ietf-smime-bfibecms
 - There are two drafts working out IETF LC comments:
      draft-ietf-smime-sha2 and draft-ietf-smime-multsig
 - There is one draft working out an IPR statement: draft-ietf-smime-rsa-kem
 - There are four active IDs in the working group: S/MIME MSG and CERT v3.2,
an ASN.1 modules update, and an Update to ECC use with CMS.

Mr. Turner presented the status of the S/MIME v3.2 IDs.  The big change was
to remove the ECC algorithms: ECDSA and ECDH from both IDs.  The rationale
was that they are IPR issues and they are better situated in an
informational ID rather than the base IDs.  The one remaining issue in the
S/MIME v3.2 IDs is to settle on the key size text.  The key size text will
be discussed on the mailing list.

Mr. Turner presented the status of the Update to ECC use with CMS ID.
Updates to RFC 3278 include allowing the use of the SHA2 family of hash
algorithms, adding the OIDS for these algorithms, and adding the OIDs for
ECDSA with these algorithms.  Comments are encourages as the ID is quite
short.

Mr. Schaad presented the status of the ASN.1 modules update ID.  He
indicated that no comments have been received since Vancouver and that more
comments are requested.  Mr. Shaad also gave presentation in PKIX on
algorithm classes that applies to both PKIX and S/MIME.

Ms..Shanin and Mr. Gennai, both from the Institute of Information Science
and Technologies at the Italian National Research Council, presented Posta
Elettronica Certificate (PEC). PEC, which is equivalent to Registered Mail
service with a return receipt, was designed to address the Italian
Government's decision to adopt electronic exchange of documents between its
Public Administrations.  Their presentation provided details on the message
flow, transport message, and receipts.  The WG suggested that the current
state of affairs be drafted as an individual submission.