Subject: [saag] Fwd: Proposed W3C Charter: XML Security Working Group (until 2008-05-02)

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:30:16 -0400

What, if anything, does this mean for the XMLDSig work that was done 
in the IETF?

At 10:27 PM 3/19/2008, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Today W3C Advisory Committee Representatives received a Proposal
>to revise the Security Activity [0] (see the W3C Process
>Document description of Activity Proposals [1]). This proposal
>includes a draft charter for the XML Security Working Group:
>   http://www.w3.org/2008/02/xmlsec-charter
>
>As part of ensuring that the community is aware of proposed work
>at W3C, this draft charter is public during the Advisory
>Committee review period.
>
>W3C invites public comments through 2008-05-02 on the
>proposed charter. Please send comments to
>[email-masked], which has a public archive:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work-comments/
>
>Other than comments sent in formal responses by W3C Advisory
>Committee Representatives, W3C cannot guarantee a response to
>comments. If you work for a W3C Member [2], please coordinate
>your comments with your Advisory Committee Representative. For
>example, you may wish to make public comments via this list and
>have your Advisory Committee Representative refer to it from his
>or her formal review comments.
>
>If you should have any questions or need further information, please
>contact Thomas Roessler, Security Activity Lead <[email-masked]>.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Ian Jacobs, Head of W3C Communications
>
>[0] http://www.w3.org/Security/
>[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/activities#ActivityCreation
>[2] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs ([email-masked])   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
>Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:40:08 +0100

On 2008-03-20 16:30:16 -0400, Russ Housley wrote:

> What, if anything, does this mean for the XMLDSig work that was
> done in the IETF?

It mostly means that there seemed to be critical mass for sorting
out some referencing and transform model related issues at the W3C
workshop last September, and that the community seems to agree that
the current canonicalization model is really due for an overhaul.

  http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/ws/report.html

That workshop was announced on the saag list and at the Security
Area meeting in Chicago; in fact, we deliberately aligned the
position paper deadline so people could write and submit some
*after* that meeting.  I don't think many actually made use of that
possibility.

The workshop report was announced on saag in October.

Note that the charter calls out close coordination with the IETF as
an explicit requirement:

  The XML Signature specification was produced in a joint effort
  between W3C and the IETF. It is expected that the XML Security
  Working Group will liaise closely with the IETF Security and
  Application Areas in developing its deliverables.

That said, if there are IETF participants who are specifically
interested in this work and can't go the usual way through member
companies, or if there are specific comments about the charter,
please drop me a line.

Regards,
-- 
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[email-masked]>  +33-4-89063488

> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/saag
>