Subject: [saag] Mailing List for MAC Labeling Discussions

From: "David P. Quigley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:58:32 -0400

Hello,
	Jarrett Lu of Sun was able to set up a mailing list to discuss topics
related to the BOF[1]. The main objective at the moment is to clearly
define DOIs with respect to MAC Labeling. The traditional view of MAC is
purely MLS but from our perspective MAC also contains things like Domain
Type Enforcement (DTE). SELinux also includes an MLS field in its
security context but there are larger issues to consider. For instance
how do you handle negotiation of translations between domains? If a
system provides more fine grained protections than the receiver on the
other end or vice versa how do you handle this? How do we organize the
DOI space? Do we share this space among all protocols or do we create
separate spaces for each? In terms of things like Labeled NFS and
Labeled IPSec is seems reasonable to maintain the same DOI namespace for
both of them. Another issue to consider is should we define a standard
internal structure for a security context?

	Also, some people have mentioned their work with security labels in
other spaces within the IETF. If you have anything you would like to
discuss with respect to work outside of the realm of DOIs (still MAC
related of course) feel free to bring it to the list's attention.

[1]http://mail.opensolaris.org/mailman/listinfo/doi-discuss

_______________________________________________
saag mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag