Subject: [saag] IETF74 SASL summary

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:34:35 -0400

Simple Authentication And Security Layer (SASL)
IETF74, San Francisco, CA

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 0900-1130
====================================

Chairs:

Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>

Scribe: Cyrus Daboo

====================

* draft-melnikov-sasl-scram-ldap-01
* draft-newman-auth-scram-11 - near consensus
* draft-newman-auth-scram-gs2-01 - fold into SCRAM
* draft-ietf-sasl-4422bis-00 - needs refresh
* draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5-10 - expired; consensus call in-progress
* draft-ietf-sasl-digest-to-historic-00 - needs refresh; to IESG with SCRAM
* draft-ietf-sasl-gs2-11 - near consensus
* draft-zeilenga-sasl-crammd5-00 - 

SCRAM - PBKDF2 iteration count: Pasi suggests using largest count that
allows an acceptable user experience.

SCRAM - open question on including "service name" URI to avoid a "bad"
server proxying to a "good" server and thus gaining access to the
"good" server as the user.  No clear consensus.

New GS2 approach, very text-oriented.  Considered acceptable for
SCRAM.  Distinguish channel-binding vs not by using a suffix on
mechanism name.

GS2, SCRAM edits done by end of month.

CRAM-MD5 - ongoing consensus call.  So far, general agreement about
abandoning work, etc. as in Tom's statements in the consensus call,
except for the adoption of SCRAM as the replacement for CRAM-MD5.

Milestones:

Mar 09 GS2 WGLC
Mar 09 SCRAM WGLC
Apr 09 decide CRAM-MD5 approach
Jun 09 4422bis I-D and implementation report
Oct 09 4422bis WGLC