Subject: [saag] MSEC report

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:55:02 -0700

The MSEC WG met for about an 1.5 hours on Wednesday morning. It was  
noted that we are coming to the end of our active work items, and that  
it was time to consider whether to take on new work or shut down.

Sheela Rowles presented changes made to the GDOI Update draft (updates  
to RFC 3547). This I-D describes clarifications to the GDOI protocol  
based on implementation experience, and also adds a few new attributes  
to harmonize with other recent WG work items. It is ready for WG last  
call.

We had two proposals for new work items. Sheela stated the need for a  
GDOI MIB. Tim Polk cautioned against taking on MIB work unless there  
is a substantial number of participation from the WG. We'll take that  
to the mailing list. Seokung Yoon presented a draft that adds support  
for the SEED cipher to MIKEY. After discussion, it was determined that  
the WG did not object to its publication, but it was complete enough  
that there was no need for the WG to adopt it. Tim agreed to sponsor  
it as an individual contribution.

We concluded with a discussion of Gregory Lebovitz' KMART Roadmap I-D.  
It was pointed out that a number of the routing protocols mentioned in  
the I-D make use of group security in some or all use cases. A number  
of presentations introducing methods of providing automated key  
management for these routing protocols have been made in past MSEC WG  
meetings. A suggestion was made that since the WG was coming to the  
end of its current work items, it should consider re-chartering to  
allow us to address automated key management which could be used by  
those protocols.