Subject: [saag] MSEC WG Report for IETF 76

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:15:18 +0900

The MSEC WG met Monday morning for about 2 hours. After a brief  
document and WG status review we had several presentations. We started  
with two presentations preposing new modes of MIKEY key agreement.  
Rolf Blum presented MIKEY-TICKET, a Kerberos-like method where a  
trusted third party provides session keys and policy to devices.   
Violeta Cakulev presented MIKEY-IBAKE, an identity based  
authentication method based on RFC 5408. Both presentations had lively  
and interesting discussions.

Following both presentations the WG engaged in a discussion as to  
whether the WG should continue to publish MIKEY specifications. MIKEY  
specifications are generally used as key agreement methods for SRTP.  
It was noted that some time ago that IETF WGs specifying SRTP have  
adopted other preferred key agreement methods. However, it was also  
noted that the 3GPP SDO does specify the use of some MIKEY modes,  
which requires IETF Consensus to add to the MIKEY IANA registries. The  
chair asked for a declaration from individuals who would promise to  
spend time reviewing the documents. There was not enough response, and  
so the WG will not take up the new MIKEY work. Tim Polk did agree to  
sponsor these I-Ds as individual submissions.

The meeting concluded with an informational presentation on a link- 
layer group key agreement method being standardized by IEEE 802.1. It  
was pointed out that the techniques used in this method could be very  
useful in addressing link-layer routing protocol security in the future.

Brian Weis