Subject: [saag] SASL Working Group Summary - IETF 76

From: "Shawn M. Emery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:48:03 -0700

The sasl-wg met Wednesday, 11/11/09, during the second morning session.

Co-chairs: Tom Yu and Kurt Zeilenga (acting, Alexey Melnikov and Shawn 
Emery)

The primary goal of the meeting was to review the solution of SASLprep.  
This discussion branched to two aspects:

    Whether we should support agility or use one version. Trade-offs:
        Using one version may have issues as bugs may occur
        Using an agile solution is more complex

    Other issue is where should normalization take place; client or 
server.  Aspects:
        Server should know the supported types, clients could have 
orthogonal types
        If client normalizes then if server normalizes, should be immutable
        This problem is not indigenous to SASL

    It was suggested to have a BoF during the next IETF to find a solution

Shawn and Alexey Melnikov.
--