Subject: [saag] Fwd: RFC 6090 on Fundamental Elliptic Curve Cryptography Algorithms

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 06:37:50 -0800

Congrats on this getting published! How about a bit more deployment now, eh?

--Paul Hoffman

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RFC 6090 on Fundamental Elliptic Curve Cryptography Algorithms
Date: Wed,  2 Feb 2011 20:03:26 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 6090

         Title:      Fundamental Elliptic Curve Cryptography Algorithms
         Author:     D. McGrew, K. Igoe,
                     M. Salter
         Status:     Informational
         Stream:     IETF
         Date:       February 2011
         Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                     [email-masked],
                     [email-masked]
         Pages:      34
         Characters: 75993
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

         I-D Tag:    draft-mcgrew-fundamental-ecc-04.txt

         URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6090.txt

This note describes the fundamental algorithms of Elliptic Curve
Cryptography (ECC) as they were defined in some seminal references
from 1994 and earlier.  These descriptions may be useful for
implementing the fundamental algorithms without using any of the
specialized methods that were developed in following years.  Only
elliptic curves defined over fields of characteristic greater than
three are in scope; these curves are those used in Suite B.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:55:10 -0500

> Congrats on this getting published! How about a bit more deployment 

has there been any library development yet? I am interested in code size 
for ECDSA and ECDH using this RFC.

> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag
>

---

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:21:28 -0800 (PST)

OpenSSL has supported EC since version 0.9.8.

  Dan.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:34:18 -0500

>    OpenSSL has supported EC since version 0.9.8.

I am aware of that, but what algoritm(s) does it use?  The ones in 6090 
or something else?  Where is it documented what underlying algorithm it 
uses for ECDSA and ECDH?

---

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:37:29 -0800 (PST)

> or something else?  Where is it documented what underlying algorithm it

  The underlying algorithms _are_ ECDSA and ECDH. If you're asking
whether the algorithms are strictly "fundamental" (in the sense of 6090)
or whether they stray off into problematic areas then you'll have to
arrive at that conclusion yourself. But a compliant implementation of
RFC 6090-specified ECDSA and ECDH will interoperate with OpenSSL.

  Dan.

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 03:15:13 -0800

Hi Dan and Robert,

> RFC 6090-specified ECDSA and ECDH will interoperate with OpenSSL.

Right.  Also, the openSSL ECC implementation contributed by Sun  
contains a lot of ECC that is out of scope for RFC6090, such as  
different curves and representations.

David

>>>>> Congrats on this getting published! How about a bit more  
>>>>> deployment
>>>>> now, eh?

---

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:09:40 -0600

>    OpenSSL has supported EC since version 0.9.8.

NSS has support but #ifdef'ed out.
Windows 7 and 2008 have ECC support.
Some Smart cards, like Oberthur id-one has ECC.
OpenSC has some ECDSA (but not ECDH yet).

-- 

  Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439
  (630) 252-5444