Subject: [saag] Using ED25519 in SSHFP Resource Records - draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:56:45 -0700

Hi Paul, Yoav,

I submitted 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01  The changes are:

  - Removal of the usage policy

  - Removal of the SHA-1 fingerprint example

There was a comment from Paul about ECDSA.  It is already defined in RFC 6594.

I'll submit another draft for specifying SHA-256 in general.  There 
would have to be some guidance about not using SHA-1.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:06:50 +0000

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01

Excellent. This document fills a notable gap.

> I'll submit another draft for specifying SHA-256 in general.  There would have
> to be some guidance about not using SHA-1.

Ace.

On a tangent...

Do you know what the situation is wrt standardized ssh certificate
authentication? A colleague of mine found an awkward interop bug in
OpenSSH which allows a server offering certificate authentication to
make the client skip SSHFP authentication.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=742513

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Cyclonic 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 in west, becoming variable 3
or 4 later in east. Very rough in west, otherwise moderate or rough. Rain or
showers. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:16:05 -0400

On 03/28/2014 03:06 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> authentication?

I don't think OpenSSH certificates are standardized at all (the OpenSSH
source code *is* the standard, fwict).

> A colleague of mine found an awkward interop bug in

MITRE declared this CVE-2014-2653 on Wednesday, fwiw.

	--dkg

---

From: Shumon Huque <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:16:22 -0400

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=742513

Well, there's RFC 6187 (Standards Track):

      http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6187

Does OpenSSH implement this? Or more generally, which implementations
support this?

--Shumon.

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:19:55 -0400

> Does OpenSSH implement this? Or more generally, which implementations

OpenSSH does *not* implement this, but there is a well-known patchset
from Roumen Petrov, which he keeps admirably up-to-date:

  http://www.roumenpetrov.info/openssh/

The OpenSSH authors have made it clear that they consider expanding the
attack surface of OpenSSH to include X.509 and ASN.1 unacceptable to the
upstream project.

	--dkg

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:48:46 -0700

Hi Tony,
>Excellent. This document fills a notable gap.

Thanks for the feedback.

>https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=742513

There is ongoing work on a fix.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy