Subject: [saag] NIST test suite

From: Chris Bentzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 14:48:24 +0000

During the Open Mic portion today, someone mentioned that NIST had a
certificate verification test suite.

Is this the appropriate link (with the PKITS described in it)?
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/crypto_apps_infra/pki/pkitesting.html

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 00:27:48 +0000

>http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/crypto_apps_infra/pki/pkitesting.html

Yes, but be aware of the issues with this that I pointed out on the
cryptography list:

  There's the NIST test suite, but (a) it's about a decade old, (b) there are
  errors in it, and (c) it tests, among other things, a bunch of crazy stuff
  that not only no-one cares about but that no sane implementation should
  actually do.  It is a reasonably thorough test of your cert-handling code
  though.

  (I can't imagine the amount of therapy the poor person who created all the
  certs had to go through afterwards to recover).

Peter.