Subject: [saag] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01.txt> (Using ED25519 in SSHFP Resource Records) to Informational RFC

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 16:02:46 +0100

FYI, this was discussed briefly here and has been
discussed on the old secsh (ssh) WG mailing list.

IETF LC has started.

S

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Last Call: <draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01.txt> (Using
ED25519 in SSHFP Resource Records) to Informational RFC
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 07:57:35 -0700
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Using ED25519 in SSHFP Resource Records'
  <draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519-01.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Ed25519 signature algorithm has been implemented in OpenSSH.
   This document updates the IANA "SSHFP RR Types for public key
   algorithms" registry by adding an algorithm number for Ed25519.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moonesamy-sshfp-ed25519/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

Note that there is no current standardised format for the input
to the hash function here, but there are two implementations
of this so a codepoint is needed and useful. A standard public
key format is likely to be developed in future (but could take
some time) at which point it may make sense to assign another
codepoint, but there are no issues with codepoint scarcity here
so that seems like it will work given the implemeners seem ok
with it, even if its not ideal.