Subject: [saag] CFRG@IETF90 summary

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:58:21 +0000

CFRG met at IETF90 this week in Toronto. The agenda and meeting materials
can be found at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/90/agenda/cfrg/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/90/agenda/cfrg-drafts.pdf

The main focus of our meeting was presentations and discussions in
response to the TLS WG's request for recommendations for new elliptic
curves (see www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cfrg/current/msg04655.html for
details of the request). Tanja Lange from TU Eindhoven set the scene by
giving a tutorial on ECC, old and new. Brian LaMacchia and Craig Costello
from Microsoft talked about NUMS curves. Dan Bernstein from UIC/TU
Eindhoven spoke about Curve25519 and friends. There was active discussion
on the TLS WG's request during and after the presentations.

Yoav Nir (Check Point) presented on AEAD built from ChaCha20+Poly1305 for
TLS. CFRG has adopted a document describing the latter scheme, and the
CFRG chairs will soon receive a formal request from TLS WG to review this
document. The document itself can be found at
www.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-cfrg-chacha20-poly1305-00.txt

We also had a presentation from David McGrew (Cisco Systems) on hash-based
signatures, relating to the Internet Draft
www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcgrew-hash-sigs-02.txt. The CFRG chairs will
formally ask CFRG if we should adopt the document as a RG document.

Rifaat Shekh-Yusef gave a presentation on Challenge-Response mechanisms.

Under AoB, Wendy Seltzer, representing W3C, asked CFRG to consider
creating a "per-algorithm" security considerations Informational RFC for
the algorithms listed in the W3C Web Cryptography API
(www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI). In principle, the CFRG will sponsor this
work; the initial Internet Draft will be produced by Graham Steel (INRIA),
with feedback from Rich Salz (Akamai) and help from the W3C staff. Once a
draft is available, the CFRG chairs will formally ask the CFRG list to
consider sponsoring this document.

Kenny Paterson
(for the CFRG chairs)