Subject: [saag] slight whoops

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:59:29 -0400

Peter Yee thoughtfully noted a typo in the last sentence of my proposed 
text:

MUST NOT cause encryption to be effected ->

MUST NOT cause encryption to be affected

Sorry 'bout that,

Steve

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 13:26:49 -0400

> MUST NOT cause encryption to be affected

Given that you're not the only native English speaker (?) to confuse
these two words, and the confusion is probably even greater in the rest
of the world, perhaps it would be better to replace them entirely with
something less unclear.  Do you mean:

 MUST NOT cause encryption to be disabled.

or:

 MUST NOT cause encryption to be downgraded.

?

	--dkg

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 13:52:33 -0400

DKG

>   MUST NOT cause encryption to be downgraded.
good point!

let's go with "MUST NOT cause encryption to be disabled"

Steve

---

From: Henry B Hotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 14:56:01 -0700

Just an FYI for anyone (per DKG) confused: an affect causes an effect.

On Jul 2, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Stephen Kent <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag

Personal email.  [email-masked]

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 15:17:30 -0400

> Just an FYI for anyone (per DKG) confused: an affect causes an effect.

What?  No.  If you want a cute sentence like that, maybe "Affecting
something causes an effect."  But I don't see how that's a useful
mnemonic.

For the usage that we're likely to make, "affect" (pronounced
"uh-FEKT") will always be a verb.  (As a noun, pronounced "AFF-ekt",
it's only used in psychology.)  If you're using "affect" as a noun,
question your usage.

"Effect" will almost always be used as a noun.  (As a verb, it means,
"make happen", as in "to effect a change," to make a change happen.)
If you're using "effect" as a verb, question your usage: it might be
correct, but make sure.

And I can think of no useful mnemonic for this.  One just has to memorize it.

Barry