Subject: Re: [saag] getting rid of fairly old stuff

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 18:41:40 -0500

Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Derek Atkins <[email-masked]> writes:
>>ianG <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Back to the subject line:  How about taking away? ;-)  Here's a strawman
>>> proposal:
>>>
>>>    TLS 1.5 will deprecate all but 1 suite from the TLS 1.4 set.
>>
>>So we'll standardize on that in about 2020, and deployment will finally get
>>out around 2030 or so.  Not too bad!  :)
>
> I think that's being optimistic.  I don't think it'll actually be possible to
> form a committee big enough to standardise TLS 1.5.

Eh, I like being optimistic.  The alternative is pessimism, which isn't
good.  I suppose realism is the best alternative.  Considering we're
still talking about TLS 1.3, waiting for 1.5 is a LONG way off.

> Peter.

-derek
-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 09:31:18 +0000

Derek Atkins <[email-masked]> writes:

>Eh, I like being optimistic.  The alternative is pessimism, which isn't good.
>I suppose realism is the best alternative.  Considering we're still talking
>about TLS 1.3, waiting for 1.5 is a LONG way off.

My comment was in regard to the current TLS 1.3 process, which started out as
a slight update on 1.2 but has since turned into a complete protocol redesign
incorporating every cool new feature everyone on the standards committee can
think of.  Or at least every proposed feature, they haven't even been able to
agree on which ECC fashion statement to follow yet.

So my comment about what TLS 1.5 would be is just an extrapolation on what TLS
1.3 seems to be doing now.

Peter.