Subject: [saag] pkcs#11 URI scheme

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:30:22 +0000

Hiya,

I've been asked if I'd AD sponsor this [1] draft that
defines a URI scheme for pkcs#11. Feedback is welcome
before I decide. (On/off list, whatever is ok for now.)

Thanks,
S.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pechanec-pkcs11uri/

---

From: Petr Spacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:36:13 +0100

> [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pechanec-pkcs11uri/

I can say only that various versions of the draft are already used in
practice. From Open Source I can name BIND, p11-kit, and FreeIPA projects.

To sum it up: To me, standardization sounds like the right thing to do.

Have a nice day!

-- 
Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:13:21 -0600

> [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pechanec-pkcs11uri/

I support this.  I believe it will be very useful to have such URIs
for a variety of applications -- mostly not as part of UIs, but as
part of admin interfaces.  A regular and portable way of referencing
providers, slots, tokens, objects -- this is a badly needed thing.

Nico
--

---

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:51:58 +0100

> before I decide. (On/off list, whatever is ok for now.)

I support this. With that draft crypto software have the ability to
refer to tokens as HSM and smart cards, as well as objects in them, in
a uniform way. GnuTLS makes use of that URI scheme.

regards,
Nikos