Subject: [saag] Fwd: New Non-WG Mailing List: GHOST -- GatHering and reOrganizing STandards information

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 12:15:32 -0400

Hello,

If you are interested to help structure how standards information is
accessed by others (product team developers, those new to standards,
security researchers, students, etc.), please join the GHOST list.

We will be starting with a generic structure and determine the best
starting points on the web (that are high in search results) for categories
of interest, starting with authentication.  The structure needs to be
generic enough to cover any area of standards work and allow users to find
the relevant set of standards for their use cases and device types.  This
will feed back out to WG wikis and other existing sources, but is aimed at
providing better linkage between efforts.  This problem became very
apparent to me when seeing how product team find appropriate security
solutions.  Much of it relied upon their knowledge of standards.
Essentially, tons of time is wasted and product teams are not aware of all
of the existing options, what is on an uptrend (or down), and how to get
the most reliable information to see if a solution suits their needs.

Improved organization of standards information will hopefully prevent
duplication of efforts in creating standards since they will be more
accessible.

I worked on a Google doc about a year ago with Jeff Hodges, Lief Johansson,
and Wendy Seltzer.  The link is included below, which provides more
information on the project, including initial suggestions for the
structure.  I'd like to open this up as a team effort and take on
authentication as a starting point.  This may also require some efforts
from WG participants to improve information available on their standards.

Matt Baratta will be working with me for the summer to help make this
happen.  As such, I'd like input on the structure document and then to have
the list work on a prototype for authentication.  Matt will be able to pull
materials together and edit the prototype content, but we will need experts
to provide (may be on WG wikis or other pointers) and validate information.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VR4eR0mZohJ1vWy3dpyHg-w56qm4KjQG06V9TyNqP70/edit#heading=h.83yegm6dqtsh

We will give folks a little time to join the list.

Thank you,
Kathleen & Matt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: GHOST -- GatHering and reOrganizing
STandards information
To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked]

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: ghost at ietf.org
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ghost/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ghost

Purpose: Organizing information and security standards to better assist
researchers in their efforts to obtain data. The primary goal is to bring
information on standards to a central starting point, and thus reduce the
amount of research that is needed when investigation solution options. This
would allow individuals or groups to find the information needed to assist
in the completion of their projects with information such as use case and
device applicability.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen