Subject: [saag] TLS Working Group Report

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:21:07 +0900

TLS met on the Wednesday morning session and will have a second session on
Thursday afternoon at 17:40.  We spent most of the meeting discussing TLS
1.3.

Some of the notable items discussed include client authentication, rekey,
tls-unique, and cipher suite registry. There was consensus in the meeting
to move forward with some changes to finalize client authentication.
There was support in the room to add a rekey facility into TLS 1.3.   TLS
unique needs to be redefined for TLS 1.3 to use keying material exporters,
this needs to be handled in a separate document.  We also had some
discussion of identifying a small set of specific cipher suites as
Recommended and leaving the other as use at your own risk.  On Thursday
afternoon we will continue TLS 1.3 with a discussion of encrypted SNI.

We had time for one presentation that discussed making changes based on the
TLS 1.2 protocol.  There was a general sense of the room that the WG is
chartered to “maintain” TLS 1.2 not “extend” TLS 1.2 with back ported TLS
1.3 features.

There will be a workshop held in co-located with NDSS on 2016-02-21  in San
Diego called TRON (TLS Ready or Not) to provide an opportunity for
researchers to present their analysis of TLS 1.3.  More information can be
found here:
https://www.internetsociety.org/events/ndss-symposium-2016/tron-workshop-call-papers.
There are sponsorship opportunities available, if your organization is
interested please contact Drew Dvorshak <[email-masked]>.