Subject: [saag] FW: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-pairing-00.txt

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:50:15 -0700

This draft attempts to define a secure way to establish pairing between
devices, resulting in a shared secret. The proposed solution combines
discovery using DNS-SD, establishment of a TLS connection using {EC]DH ANON,
extraction of a shared secret per RFC 5705, and visual verification of a
short authentication string established using an application level "bit
flipping" protocol. A similar process is used in ZRTP. The draft is
developed in the internet area, but it can certainly benefit from review by
the security area...

-- Christian Huitema

-----Original Message-----
From: dnssd [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-pairing-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service
Discovery  of the IETF.

        Title           : Device Pairing Using Short Authentication Strings
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Daniel Kaiser
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-pairing-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2016-10-27

Abstract:
   This document proposes a device pairing mechanism that establishes a
   relationship between two devices by agreeing on a secret and manually
   verifying the secret's authenticity using an SAS (short
   authentication string).  Pairing has to be performed only once per
   pair of devices, as for a re-discovery at any later point in time,
   the exchanged secret can be used for mutual authentication.

   The proposed pairing method is suited for each application area where
   human operated devices need to establish a relation that allows
   configurationless and privacy preserving re-discovery at any later
   point in time.  Since privacy preserving applications are the main
   suitors, we especially care about privacy.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-pairing/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-pairing-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
dnssd mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnssd