Subject: [saag] IEEE 802.1 report

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:24:12 +0900

I really can't report too well of other groups under 802...

802.1AEcg
http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1aecg.html

Adds support for Provider Bridges and similar devices.  What this means 
in practice includes a company using 802.1AE encryption between two 
campus bridges and securing the crossing of a provider's ethernet MAN.

We are also considering how this may be used in 802.1CB redundent rings 
in automotive ethernet and other similar uses.

802.1ARcg
http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1aecg.html

Adds SHA-384 and P-384 into DevID.  This impacts ANIMA and RESTCONF 
(zerotouch) use of iDevID.  And any other areas using 1AR certificates.

Document restructuring is so extensive, that this is now a standard 
revision, 802.1AR-rev, rather than just an addendum.  Restructuring also 
would make for a fast PAR to add other algorithms like EDDSA (I did 
comment to add this now, but it was rejected).

802.1Xck
http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1ck.html

Modeling of 802.1X in Yang.  This may be of import to NETCONF and 
others.  Really producing some interesting view into the 802.1X 
architecture.

802E
http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802e.html

Privacy Considerations for IEEE 802 technologies

Nothing new within 802E, but a major presentation over in 802.11:

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/16/11-16-1492-00-0wng-privacy-issues-in-802-11-networks.pptx

Basically, it looks pretty bad in 802.11 for privacy...

Bob