Subject: [saag] IETF 101 TLS SAAG Summary

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:28:45 +0000

The TLS working group met on Monday and Wednesday this week.  Main points
of discussion:

   - TLS 1.3  <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-tls13/>is
   approved by the IESG and heading to the RFC editor queue.
   - The main topic on Monday was a proposal for TLS visibility
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rhrd-tls-tls13-visibility/> in
   the data center.   The TLS working group was unable to reach consensus to
   adopt this work.  The security ADs will handle the discussion of
   alternative paths for this work.
   - Discussion on Connection ID
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id/> for
   TLS 1.2 and 1.3 resulted in consensus to use an explicit mechanism to
   indicate the presence of the connection ID.  There was desire to keep
   changes to DTLS 1.2 a minimal as possible.
   - After some discussion of the DNSSEC chain extension
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dnssec-chain-extension/>
    the working group reached consensus that the draft in its current state
   will move forward and authenticated denial of existence and pinning work
   would need to be considered in a separate document.
   - There was presentation on security analysis for the exported
   authenticators draft
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-exported-authenticator/>

   - We will seek an advance code point assigned for Certificate compression
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-certificate-compression/>
    from IANA
   - The SNI encryption
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-sni-encryption/> work
   will be split out into 1 draft that discusses the problem, requirements and
   current state and several other documents that detail possible solutions.
   - There was some discussion of Semi-static DH keys for TLS
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rescorla-tls13-semistatic-dh/>
(similar
   to OPTLS)
   - We ran out of time to discuss a proposal to supplement certificate
   based authentication with a PSK
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-tls-tls13-cert-with-extern-psk/>
    to provide resistance to advances in quantum computing.
   - We had a presentation on a header extension format
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fossati-tls-ext-header/> for DTLS
   - A query was issued to the working group on if there is interest in
   using PAKEs such as SRP with TLS 1.3.