Subject: [saag] ACE WG Summary from IETF 101

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:54:13 +0000

The ACE working group met on Monday in the first session.

The CWT document has gone to the RFC Editor since the last meeting and the
associated POP CWT draft is expected to progress to the IESG before
Montreal.

The WG adopted the EST over CoAP draft after some heavy modifications with
some of the work going to the ANIMA group.

During the week there has been a start at getting some interop testing done
with the OAuth framework using the DTLS profile which has started to show
some promise.  We are going to try to have a couple of virtual interop
events over the next couple of months with the goal of having enough by
Montreal to be able to be comfortable with going to WGLC then.  As part of
this work we will need to look at getting the OSCORE profile tested as well.

There were some non-working (future work) presented dealing with group
messaging authorization scenarios that was presented where some
re-factorization work had been done to combine pieces that are common
between the two drafts.

The WG then has some discussions on a key establishment protocol EDHOC with
comparison of message sizes and numbers between that proposal and using TLS
to do key establishment transporting the TLS messages inside of CoAP.  While
the two protocols have similar results under the UDP scenario, they have
different results when looking at the 6TiSH world where packets are
restricted in size.