Subject: [saag] MLS@IETF103 report

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 13:47:59 +0700

MLS met at 16:10 on Monday and 11:20 on Wednesday.

Here is the summary of the two MLS sessions, and this has
also been submitted as status in datatracker
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/mls/about/status/edit/):

On Monday we discussed several of the current drafts and made
some progress in understanding the design options and moving
the documents forward. The architecture document was presented
by Emad Omara, which was mostly uncontroversial.

The protocol document took most of the time at this meeting. The
big problem of group members having access to the keys of multiple
group members (the double-join problem) was discussed at length.
Most of the issues were around efficiency and making sure that any
double-join protection mechanism continues to be logarithmic instead
of devolving into linear time. New ideas were introduced around group
initialization and giving a special exception to the group initializer — which
was a promising idea. Nadim Kobeissi presented remotely about
authentication which illustrated how derived signature keys could improve
the situation where authentication keys are compromised.
  
On Thursday we reviewed the message protection draft, recapping the
work that was presented at the interim about message protection. This
led to a vigorous debate about forward secrecy. We also discussed a
potential interim in January in San Jose, CA in order to take advantage
of the presence of Real World Crypto.

N&S