Subject: [saag] COSE WG @ IETF-108 Report

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:32:00 -0600

COSE met second session (13:00 - 13:50 UTC) on Wednesday, 29 July.

Since IETF 106, all but one of the working group's documents had
progressed to IETF Last Call:

* draft-ietf-cose-hash-sig was published as RFC 8778 in April
* draft-ietf-cose-webauth-algorithms entered the RFC Editors queue in June
* draft-ietf-cose-x509 is awaiting AD evaluation and IETF Last Call
* draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs is awaiting AD approval to pubish
* draft-ietf-cose-rfc1852bis-alg is awaiting AD approval to pubish
* draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-struct has a technical issue to clear

The WG spent just about all its meeting time at 108 on how to resolve an
issue with countersignatures that came to light during the IETF Last
Call.  Rough consensus appears to support deprecating the current
countersignature algorithm and creating a new one.  The details are to
be discussed on the list and in interim meetings.

The COSE WG did not have time to discuss rechartering, although a
presentation on the status of X509 certificate compression work did just
barely finish before it could be abruptly ended.

- Ivaylo and Matthew