Subject: [saag] Author promotion of draft-ietf-ntp-roughtime-01

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:41:54 -0400

Dear SAAG members,

I'd like to elaborate on Karen's notes on draft-ietf-ntp-roughtime-01,
and explain why members of this group might be interested in it.

Roughtime is certificate transparency for time. A roughtime server
signs its responses and places them in an linear hash structure
permitting incorrect answers to be found and exposed. The security of
this mechanism depends on having a broader ecosystem of applications
use roughtime.

Any application involving approximate global time synchronization for
security can make use of roughtime. Applications to X509 certificate,
Kerberos, etc. are clear. Consensus mechanisms such as the Tor
Directory Service are also interested in making use of it. I'm sure
there are many more potential  applications readers of this mailing
list may think of.

If this sounds interesting i'm happy to discuss it further on the NTP
WG mailing list or privately. Or here, if it is too off-target.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd