Subject: [SAM] [Last CFP] P2PNVE 2011 [Deadline extended to Aug. 30, 2011 (Firm Deadline)]

From: 2011 p2pnve <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:06:22 +0800

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message]

* Deadline extended to August 30, 2011 (Firm Deadline)*

CALL FOR PAPERS

========================================================================
The 5th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Networked Virtual
Environments (P2P-NVE 2011)

in conjunction with

The 17th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems
(ICPADS 2011)

December 7-9, 2011
Tainan, Taiwan

http://acnlab.csie.ncu.edu.tw/P2PNVE2011/
========================================================================
PURPOSE AND SCOPE

Peer-to-peer (P2P) is a computing paradigm based on self-organizing network
overlays, in which participating entities play symmetric roles as both
servers and clients for accomplish common goals. Compared with the
traditional client/server (C/S) paradigm, the P2P paradigm is not vulnerable
to a single point of failure and has better scalability and lower
installation and management cost. It has been successfully applied to many
applications, such as data sharing, storage sharing, bandwidth sharing,
collaborative computation, and so on. Many research studies have been
devoted to developing efficient, flexible, and secure P2P systems. They call
for a workshop to provide a forum for researchers to exchange their ideas
about state-of-the-art P2P technologies. Recently, some studies try to apply
the P2P paradigm to network virtual environments (NVEs), which is also known
as distributed virtual environment (DVEs) or collaborative virtual
environment (CVEs), to increase NVE scalability and to reduce NVE management
and deployment costs. An NVE is a computer-generated virtual world where
multiple users can assume virtual representatives (or avatars) to
concurrently interact with each other via networked links. Examples of NVEs
include early DARPA SIMNET and DIS systems as well as currently booming
Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOGs). Typical examples of studies on
P2P NVEs are P2P voice chatting, P2P 3D streaming, P2P game state
management, and so on. In spite of the success of the studies, we need more
studies about state consistency control, persistent data storage, multimedia
data dissemination, cheat-prevention, topology mismatching, and virtual
world interoperability to construct NVEs of better performance.

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Networked
Virtual Environments were held in conjunction with the 13th, 14th, 15th and
16th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems in 2007,
2008, 2009, and 2010 respectively. To adhere to the theme of P2P-NVE
workshops, the theme of P2P-NVE 2011 is to solicit original and previously
unpublished new ideas on general P2P schemes as well as on the design and
realization of P2P NVEs. The workshop aims to facilitate discussions and
idea exchanges by both academics and practitioners. Authors are invited to
submit an electronic version of original, unpublished manuscripts, not to
exceed 8 double-columned, single-spaced pages, to the workshop. Submitted
papers should be in accordance with IEEE Computer Society guidelines, and
will be refereed by reviewers in terms of relevance, originality,
contribution, correctness, and presentation. All Accepted papers will be
published by IEEE Press (indexed by EI) and will be included in IEEE Xplore.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

*   P2P systems and infrastructures
*   Applications of P2P systems
*   Performance evaluation of P2P systems
*   Trust and security issues in P2P systems
*   Network support for P2P systems
*   Fault tolerance in P2P systems
*   Data structures for P2P systems
*   Efficient P2P resource lookup and sharing
*   Distributed Hash Tables (DHTs) and related issues
*   Solutions to topology mismatching for P2P overlays
*   P2P overlays for NVEs
*   P2P NVE multicast
*   P2P NVE interoperability
*   P2P NVE content distribution
*   P2P NVE 3D streaming
*   P2P NVE voice communications
*   P2P NVE architecture designs
*   P2P NVE prototypes
*   P2P NVE consistency control
*   Persistent storage for P2P NVEs
*   Security and cheat-prevention mechanisms for P2P games
*   P2P control for mobile NVEs
*   P2P NVE applications on mobile devices

==========================================
IMPORTANT DATES

Submission:               August 30, 2011 (Firm Deadline)
Notification:              September 25, 2011
Camera ready:           October 7, 2011
===========================================

PAPER SUBMISSION

Authors are invited to submit an electronic version of original, unpublished
manuscripts, not to exceed 8 double-columned, single-spaced pages, to the
workshop. Submitted papers should be in PDF format in accordance with IEEE
Computer Society guidelines, and will be refereed by reviewers in terms of
originality, contribution, correctness, and presentation.