From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Mon Oct  1 03:59:00 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:59:00 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] Sava meeting in Helsinki on October 11-12th
In-Reply-To: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF0472ED02@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
References: <20070723.182610.11112.0@webmail26.lax.untd.com>
	<46FCA26C.6070503@piuha.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF0472ED02@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
Message-ID: <47000004.1080605@piuha.net>

Barry,

I realize this is a short notice. We've been trying to get
a few known-to-be-interested individuals in the same place
and time, and once that was settled the list was notified too.
I'm sorry if the time and place does not work for everyone, but
its very hard to make it so. We can make teleconf facilities
available, but its not the same thing as being present.

Note that SAVA does not formally exist as an IETF activity,
and hence there's really no official status for pre-WG/BOF
meetings like this. An open meeting of interested individuals,
at best.

Jari

Barry Greene (bgreene) kirjoitti:
> 
> Hum. Very short notice.
>
> Will there be conference or video facilities to allow for remote
> participation? Without it, I would not call it a "SAVA Meeting."
>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On Behalf Of Jari
> >> Arkko Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:43 PM
> >> To: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> Subject: [SAVA] Sava meeting in Helsinki on October 11-12th
> >>
> >>
> >> There will be a meeting about SAVA in Helsinki on October
> >> 11th to 12th, hosted by Ericsson Research. Anyone interested
> >> is welcome to join; contact me for the practical details.
> >>
> >> The goal of the meeting is to assess the situation after
> >> discussions in previous IETFs and invite contributors to
> >> describe their proposals for improvements for address
> >> validation in local subnets or between ISPs. Emphasis is
> >> placed on trying to find solutions that there is real-world
> >> interest for, e.g., we could start from documenting
> >> mechanisms that vendors already have in place. Another
> >> important question is whether there is common interest
> >> between the participants to focus on a particular part of the
> >> problem space.
> >>
> >> Based on results of this meeting we hope it will be clear
> >> what the next steps with respect to this effort in the IETF
> >> should be. E.g., do we have common ground, is there practical
> >> interest, etc.
> >>
> >> Jari Arkko
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SAVA mailing list
> >> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>



From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Thu Oct  4 03:47:45 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 22:47:45 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] program for the Helsinki meeting, take one
Message-ID: <4703F1E1.1090600@piuha.net>

WEDNESDAY, October 10th

17:00-  Welcome, TBD

THURSDAY, October 11th

09:00  Opening and practical arrangements -- Jari Arkko
09:20  Operational aspects -- Fred Baker
10:00  Survey of deployed local-subnet solutions -- Fred Baker
11:00  Design space and missing pieces for local-subnet -- All
12:00  Lunch
13:00  Local-subnet discussion -- All
14:30  The revised SAVA problem statement (local-subnet) -- TBD
16:00  (Unallocated)
17:00-  Close meeting, begin of evening program TBD

FRIDAY, October 12th

09:00  Inter-AS needs and solutions -- Pekka Savola
10:00  SEND- and RR-based inter-AS design space -- Christian Vogt
11:00  (Unallocated)
12:00  Lunch
13:00  Test bed draft revision -- Jari Arkko
14:00  SAVA IETF plans, BOFs, drafts, way forward -- All
16:00  Wrap-up -- All
17:00  Close



From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Mon Oct  8 23:26:52 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:26:52 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] program for the Helsinki meeting, take two
Message-ID: <470A4C3C.6010807@piuha.net>


Location: Ericsson Offices in Jorvas, Finland [1].

WEDNESDAY, October 10th

17:00  Welcome dinner & sauna at [2]
20:00  End

THURSDAY, October 11th at Ericsson [1]

09:00  Opening and practical arrangements -- Jari Arkko
09:20  Operational aspects -- Fred Baker
10:00  Survey of deployed local-subnet solutions -- Fred Baker
11:00  Design space and missing pieces for local-subnet -- All
12:00  Lunch
13:00  Local-subnet discussion -- All
14:30  The revised SAVA problem statement (local-subnet) -- TBD
16:00  Test bed draft revision -- Jari Arkko
17:00  Close meeting
17:00  Dinner in Jorvas
20:00  End

FRIDAY, October 12th at Ericsson [1]

09:00  Inter-AS needs and solutions -- Pekka Savola
10:00  SEND- and RR-based inter-AS design space -- Christian Vogt
11:00  Packet Level Authentication proposal, Billy Brumley
12:00  Lunch
13:00  SAVA IETF plans, BOFs, drafts, way forward -- All
14:00  Wrap-up -- All
15:00  Close

Transportation is best handled via taxi. The addresses
are below. Call Jari at +358 40 5079256 if there are
any problems.

Location 1: Ericsson Offices, Jorvas, Finland. Address
Hirsalantie 1, Jorvas, Kirkkonummi. Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=1+Hirsalantie,+02420+Kirkkonummi,+Finland&sll=60.114829,24.566116&sspn=0.159433,0.615234&ie=UTF8&ll=60.134111,24.509511&spn=0.009959,0.038452&z=15&om=1
http://www.ericsson.com/fi/images/kartta_jorvas.gif

Location 2: Jari's home, Kauniainen, Finland. Address
V?litie 1B, Kauniainen. Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=v%C3%A4litie+1b,+kauniainen&sll=60.134111,24.509511&sspn=0.009959,0.038452&ie=UTF8&ll=60.214431,24.725547&spn=0.009934,0.038452&z=15&om=1

On this second location you could also take a train from
the Helsinki city center. The trains marked with "S",
"U", "L" and "E" come here, and you get off the Kauniainen
station, then either walk or call me.

Participants that I know of:
- Jari Arkko
- Fred Baker
- Prof. Jun Bi
- Billy Brumley
- Assoc Prof. Haixin Duan
- Pekka Nikander (day 2)
- Gang Ren
- Pekka Savola
- Christian Vogt
- Prof. Jianping Wu
- Assoc Prof. Ke Xu


From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Tue Oct  9 19:09:48 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:09:48 +0300
Subject: [SAVA]  program for the Helsinki meeting, take three
Message-ID: <470B617C.50406@piuha.net>


Location: Ericsson Offices in Jorvas, Finland [1].

WEDNESDAY, October 10th

17:00  Welcome dinner & sauna at [2]
20:00  End

THURSDAY, October 11th at Ericsson [1]

09:00  Opening and practical arrangements -- Jari Arkko
09:20  Operational aspects -- Fred Baker
10:00  Survey of deployed local-subnet solutions -- Fred Baker
11:00  Access network solutions -- Ke Xu
11:30  Design space and missing pieces for local-subnet -- All
12:00  Lunch
13:00  Local-subnet discussion -- All
14:30  The revised SAVA problem statement (local-subnet) -- Jun Bi
16:00  Test bed draft -- Gang Ren
16:30  Test bed draft way forward -- Jari Arkko
17:00  Close meeting
17:00  Dinner in Jorvas
20:00  End

FRIDAY, October 12th at Ericsson [1]

09:00  Inter-AS needs and solutions -- Pekka Savola
10:00  SEND- and RR-based inter-AS design space -- Christian Vogt
11:00  Packet Level Authentication proposal, Billy Brumley
12:00  Lunch
13:00  SAVA IETF plans, BOFs, drafts, way forward -- All
14:00  Wrap-up -- All
15:00  Close

Transportation is best handled via taxi. The addresses
are below. Call Jari at +358 40 5079256 if there are
any problems.

Location 1: Ericsson Offices, Jorvas, Finland. Address
Hirsalantie 1, Jorvas, Kirkkonummi. Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=1+Hirsalantie,+02420+Kirkkonummi,+Finland&sll=60.114829,24.566116&sspn=0.159433,0.615234&ie=UTF8&ll=60.134111,24.509511&spn=0.009959,0.038452&z=15&om=1
http://www.ericsson.com/fi/images/kartta_jorvas.gif

Location 2: Jari's home, Kauniainen, Finland. Address
V?litie 1B, Kauniainen. Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=v%C3%A4litie+1b,+kauniainen&sll=60.134111,24.509511&sspn=0.009959,0.038452&ie=UTF8&ll=60.214431,24.725547&spn=0.009934,0.038452&z=15&om=1

On this second location you could also take a train from
the Helsinki city center. The trains marked with "S",
"U", "L" and "E" come here, and you get off the Kauniainen
station, then either walk or call me.

Participants that I know of:
- Jari Arkko
- Fred Baker
- Prof. Jun Bi
- Billy Brumley
- Assoc Prof. Haixin Duan
- Pekka Nikander (day 2)
- Gang Ren
- Pekka Savola
- Christian Vogt
- Prof. Jianping Wu
- Assoc Prof. Ke Xu

_______________________________________________
SAVA mailing list
SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava




From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Tue Oct  9 19:42:27 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:42:27 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] program for the Helsinki meeting, take three
In-Reply-To: <470B617C.50406@piuha.net>
References: <470B617C.50406@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <470B6923.9050707@piuha.net>

Also, if people have special dietary requirements, let me
know.

Jari



From fred at cisco.com  Wed Oct 10 15:53:45 2007
From: fred at cisco.com (Fred Baker)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:53:45 +0200
Subject: [SAVA] program for the Helsinki meeting, take three
In-Reply-To: <470B617C.50406@piuha.net>
References: <470B617C.50406@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <5F480CB7-B28E-4928-900D-62F5D7AC7DB2@cisco.com>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



works for me.

On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

>
> Location: Ericsson Offices in Jorvas, Finland [1].
>
> WEDNESDAY, October 10th
>
> 17:00  Welcome dinner & sauna at [2]
> 20:00  End
>
> THURSDAY, October 11th at Ericsson [1]
>
> 09:00  Opening and practical arrangements -- Jari Arkko
> 09:20  Operational aspects -- Fred Baker
> 10:00  Survey of deployed local-subnet solutions -- Fred Baker
> 11:00  Access network solutions -- Ke Xu
> 11:30  Design space and missing pieces for local-subnet -- All
> 12:00  Lunch
> 13:00  Local-subnet discussion -- All
> 14:30  The revised SAVA problem statement (local-subnet) -- Jun Bi
> 16:00  Test bed draft -- Gang Ren
> 16:30  Test bed draft way forward -- Jari Arkko
> 17:00  Close meeting
> 17:00  Dinner in Jorvas
> 20:00  End
>
> FRIDAY, October 12th at Ericsson [1]
>
> 09:00  Inter-AS needs and solutions -- Pekka Savola
> 10:00  SEND- and RR-based inter-AS design space -- Christian Vogt
> 11:00  Packet Level Authentication proposal, Billy Brumley
> 12:00  Lunch
> 13:00  SAVA IETF plans, BOFs, drafts, way forward -- All
> 14:00  Wrap-up -- All
> 15:00  Close
>
> Transportation is best handled via taxi. The addresses
> are below. Call Jari at +358 40 5079256 if there are
> any problems.
>
> Location 1: Ericsson Offices, Jorvas, Finland. Address
> Hirsalantie 1, Jorvas, Kirkkonummi. Google maps link:
> http://maps.google.com/maps? 
> f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=1+Hirsalantie,+02420 
> +Kirkkonummi, 
> +Finland&sll=60.114829,24.566116&sspn=0.159433,0.615234&ie=UTF8&ll=60. 
> 134111,24.509511&spn=0.009959,0.038452&z=15&om=1
> http://www.ericsson.com/fi/images/kartta_jorvas.gif
>
> Location 2: Jari's home, Kauniainen, Finland. Address
> V?litie 1B, Kauniainen. Google maps link:
> http://maps.google.com/maps? 
> f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=v%C3%A4litie+1b, 
> +kauniainen&sll=60.134111,24.509511&sspn=0.009959,0.038452&ie=UTF8&ll= 
> 60.214431,24.725547&spn=0.009934,0.038452&z=15&om=1
>
> On this second location you could also take a train from
> the Helsinki city center. The trains marked with "S",
> "U", "L" and "E" come here, and you get off the Kauniainen
> station, then either walk or call me.
>
> Participants that I know of:
> - Jari Arkko
> - Fred Baker
> - Prof. Jun Bi
> - Billy Brumley
> - Assoc Prof. Haixin Duan
> - Pekka Nikander (day 2)
> - Gang Ren
> - Pekka Savola
> - Christian Vogt
> - Prof. Jianping Wu
> - Assoc Prof. Ke Xu



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFHDIUJbjEdbHIsm0MRAjQTAKCdZN0NfRZ9MiOzwNN85Ki5t9gb0QCfb4Vo
rvEtQZyLWrVjNblsS2DIleY=
=xcjR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com  Wed Oct 10 19:22:48 2007
From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:22:48 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] Remote Participation in SAVA Meeting on Oct. 11-12
Message-ID: <470CB608.3080803@nomadiclab.com>

Folks,

for those of you who won't come to the SAVA meeting in 
Jorvas on October 11-12, but would like to participate 
remotely, we set up a telephone bridge.

To attend the SAVA meeting via telephone, please dial:

   850 99500 if you are calling from Sweden
   +46 8 719 9500 if you are calling from elsewhere

When prompted for your conference code, please enter 29450 
on your telephone keypad.

The telephone bridge will be available throughout the 
scheduled meeting hours, i.e., from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm 
eastern European time on October 11, and from 9:00 am to 
3:00 pm eastern European time on October 12.

Best regards,
- Christian




From christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com  Wed Oct 10 19:27:43 2007
From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:27:43 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] Remote Participation in SAVA Meeting on Oct. 11-12
In-Reply-To: <470CB608.3080803@nomadiclab.com>
References: <470CB608.3080803@nomadiclab.com>
Message-ID: <470CB72F.3040508@nomadiclab.com>

Christian Vogt wrote:
> for those of you who won't come to the SAVA meeting in Jorvas on October 
> 11-12, but would like to participate remotely, we set up a telephone 
> bridge.

Please send a note to me (christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com) if 
you intend to participate.

Thanks,
- Christian


From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Thu Oct 11 14:59:46 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:59:46 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] Remote Participation in SAVA Meeting on Oct. 11-12
In-Reply-To: <470CB608.3080803@nomadiclab.com>
References: <470CB608.3080803@nomadiclab.com>
Message-ID: <470DC9E2.1090502@piuha.net>

We were a bit delayed, but the phone bridge is now on.

I will also put out presentations on the web, at

http://www.arkko.com/temp/sava

Jari



From fred at cisco.com  Thu Oct 11 22:12:52 2007
From: fred at cisco.com (Fred Baker)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:12:52 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] Capturing the board discussion on objectives and cases
Message-ID: <AE780944-D04C-4364-8C93-A4DFEF929068@cisco.com>

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: SAVA Workshop - board discussion #1.ppt
Type: application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
Size: 122880 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/attachments/20071011/169cda30/attachment-0001.ppt 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 155 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/attachments/20071011/169cda30/attachment-0001.pgp 

From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Mon Oct 22 23:40:57 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:40:57 +0200
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
Message-ID: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>

IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
 
Co-chairs
Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
 
Internet Area Directors:
Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
 
Technical Advisors:
Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
 
Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
To Subscribe: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
Mailing List Archive: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/
Document Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
 
The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP address is
not  
checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source Address  
Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise mechanisms to
prevent source
address spoofing in the access network. Sepecifically:
 
1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that are assigned to
it.
2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
 
The source address validation points may include:
 
1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see the port and  
MAC address information)
2. On an upstream exit router.
3. Or on a remote host.
 
There are many cases in enterprise networks and residential broadband  
networks, all requiring their own solutions:
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
3 DSL.
4 Cable Modem, etc.
 
With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the following
work items:
1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an
Informational  
Standard.
2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the framework
model,  
then submit architectural framework document to the IESG.
3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to document as RFC.
4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then submit them to
the IESG.
 
Milestones:
Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter to be approved
Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter approved and WG created.
March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and
Architectural Framework for SAVI
July 08 Plan to submit WG draft 00 SAVI solutions
Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem Statement and Framework to
IESG
March 09 Plan to submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG
 
 



From bgreene at cisco.com  Mon Oct 22 23:53:37 2007
From: bgreene at cisco.com (Barry Greene (bgreene))
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:53:37 -0700
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>

 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Restating - again and again.

The problem with deployment of source address policing in networks is
NOT Standardization! It is economics!

This proposal is ignoring operational input from the networks who
have to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."

 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn 
> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On Behalf Of Jari
> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
> To: SAVA Mailing List
> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> 
> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
>  
> Co-chairs
> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
>  
> Internet Area Directors:
> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
>  
> Technical Advisors:
> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
>  
> Mailing Lists:
> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> Mailing List Archive:
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
>  
> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP 
> address is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the 
> proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements " working 
> group is to standardise mechanisms to prevent source address 
> spoofing in the access network. Sepecifically:
>  
> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that are 
> assigned to it.
> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
>  
> The source address validation points may include:
>  
> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
> the port and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit
> router. 3. Or on a remote host.
>  
> There are many cases in enterprise networks and residential 
> broadband networks, all requiring their own solutions:
> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
> 3 DSL.
> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
>  
> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
> following work items:
> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as 
> an Informational Standard.
> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
> framework model, then submit architectural framework document 
> to the IESG.
> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> document as RFC.
> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
> submit them to the IESG.
>  
> Milestones:
> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter 
> to be approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
> approved and WG created.
> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
> draft 00 SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of 
> Problem Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to 
> submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG
>  
>  
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
=C+gr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca  Mon Oct 22 23:55:22 2007
From: marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca (Marc Blanchet)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:55:22 -0400
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <B29D8DE4-142F-4CA8-BD6A-0B649A62EA28@viagenie.ca>

- should it have a specific reference to MobileIP support, since the  
use of MIP may have an impact on this work?
- s/Sepecifically/Specifically/
- s/of the proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements" working  
group/of the working group/

Marc.

Le 07-10-22 ? 11:40, Jari Arkko a ?crit :

> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
>
> Co-chairs
> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
>
> Internet Area Directors:
> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
>
> Technical Advisors:
> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
>
> Mailing Lists:
> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> To Subscribe: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/ 
> listinfo/sava
> Mailing List Archive: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/
> Document Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
>
> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP  
> address is
> not
> checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source Address
> Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise  
> mechanisms to
> prevent source
> address spoofing in the access network. Sepecifically:
>
> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that are  
> assigned to
> it.
> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
>
> The source address validation points may include:
>
> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see the port  
> and
> MAC address information)
> 2. On an upstream exit router.
> 3. Or on a remote host.
>
> There are many cases in enterprise networks and residential broadband
> networks, all requiring their own solutions:
> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
> 3 DSL.
> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
>
> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the following
> work items:
> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an
> Informational
> Standard.
> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the framework
> model,
> then submit architectural framework document to the IESG.
> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to document  
> as RFC.
> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then submit  
> them to
> the IESG.
>
> Milestones:
> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter to be  
> approved
> Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter approved and WG created.
> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and
> Architectural Framework for SAVI
> July 08 Plan to submit WG draft 00 SAVI solutions
> Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem Statement and  
> Framework to
> IESG
> March 09 Plan to submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava

-----
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley, 2006, http://www.ipv6book.ca




From miw at juniper.net  Mon Oct 22 23:57:52 2007
From: miw at juniper.net (Mark Williams)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:57:52 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
Message-ID: <471CC880.20306@juniper.net>

So you are saying.....

1. it is a good thing to have source policing....

2. it is a bad thing to have a recommended way in which to do it

??

cheers,

Mark

Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
>  
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Restating - again and again.
>
> The problem with deployment of source address policing in networks is
> NOT Standardization! It is economics!
>
> This proposal is ignoring operational input from the networks who
> have to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
>
>  
>
>   
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn 
>> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On Behalf Of Jari
>> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
>> To: SAVA Mailing List
>> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
>>
>> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
>>  
>> Co-chairs
>> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
>>  
>> Internet Area Directors:
>> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
>> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
>>  
>> Technical Advisors:
>> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
>> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
>>  
>> Mailing Lists:
>> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
>> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>> Mailing List Archive:
>> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
>> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
>>  
>> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP 
>> address is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the 
>> proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements " working 
>> group is to standardise mechanisms to prevent source address 
>> spoofing in the access network. Sepecifically:
>>  
>> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that are 
>> assigned to it.
>> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
>> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
>>  
>> The source address validation points may include:
>>  
>> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
>> the port and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit
>> router. 3. Or on a remote host.
>>  
>> There are many cases in enterprise networks and residential 
>> broadband networks, all requiring their own solutions:
>> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
>> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
>> 3 DSL.
>> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
>>  
>> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
>> following work items:
>> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as 
>> an Informational Standard.
>> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
>> framework model, then submit architectural framework document 
>> to the IESG.
>> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
>> document as RFC.
>> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
>> submit them to the IESG.
>>  
>> Milestones:
>> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter 
>> to be approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
>> approved and WG created.
>> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
>> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
>> draft 00 SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of 
>> Problem Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to 
>> submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG
>>  
>>  
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> SAVA mailing list
>> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
>> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>>     
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
>
> iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
> PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
> =C+gr
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>
>   

-- 
"Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set forth
Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to change at any
time without notice.  No purchases are contingent upon Juniper
Networks delivering any feature or functionality expressed or implied
in this roadmap or product discussion."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
Liaison                              Beijing Office
Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749



From bgreene at cisco.com  Tue Oct 23 00:02:29 2007
From: bgreene at cisco.com (Barry Greene (bgreene))
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:02:29 -0700
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <471CC880.20306@juniper.net>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
	<471CC880.20306@juniper.net>
Message-ID: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DAD@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>

 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

 
> So you are saying.....
> 
> 1. it is a good thing to have source policing....

That funny. I guess you don't know me or know the work I've been
doing to get source address spoofing technologies built (uRPF, IP
Source Verify, DHCP Lease Query, etc.) and deployed. The deployment
in really big SPs across the planet is important.
 
> 2. it is a bad thing to have a recommended way in which to do it

This is not needed. We have those documents now. If you want to work
on a document, help finish the RIPE document.



> ??
> 
> cheers,
> 
> Mark
> 
> Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
> >  
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > Restating - again and again.
> >
> > The problem with deployment of source address policing in 
> networks is 
> > NOT Standardization! It is economics!
> >
> > This proposal is ignoring operational input from the 
> networks who have 
> > to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
> >
> >  
> >
> >   
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On Behalf Of Jari 
> >> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
> >> To: SAVA Mailing List
> >> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> >>
> >> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
> >>  
> >> Co-chairs
> >> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
> >>  
> >> Internet Area Directors:
> >> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
> >> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
> >>  
> >> Technical Advisors:
> >> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
> >> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
> >>  
> >> Mailing Lists:
> >> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> Mailing List Archive:
> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
> >> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
> >>  
> >> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source 
> IP address 
> >> is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source 
> >> Address Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise 
> >> mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the 
> access network. 
> >> Sepecifically:
> >>  
> >> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that 
> are assigned 
> >> to it.
> >> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
> >> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
> >>  
> >> The source address validation points may include:
> >>  
> >> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
> the port 
> >> and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit 
> router. 3. Or on 
> >> a remote host.
> >>  
> >> There are many cases in enterprise networks and 
> residential broadband 
> >> networks, all requiring their own solutions:
> >> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
> >> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
> >> 3 DSL.
> >> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
> >>  
> >> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
> following 
> >> work items:
> >> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an 
> >> Informational Standard.
> >> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
> >> framework model, then submit architectural framework 
> document to the 
> >> IESG.
> >> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> document 
> >> as RFC.
> >> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
> submit them 
> >> to the IESG.
> >>  
> >> Milestones:
> >> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter to be 
> >> approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
> approved and WG 
> >> created.
> >> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
> >> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
> draft 00 
> >> SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem 
> >> Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to submit 
> final Drafts 
> >> of SAVI solutions to IESG
> >>  
> >>  
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SAVA mailing list
> >> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >>     
> >
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: PGP 8.1
> >
> > iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
> > PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
> > =C+gr
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > _______________________________________________
> > > > SAVA mailing list
> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >
> >   
> 
> --
> "Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set 
> forth Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to 
> change at any time without notice.  No purchases are 
> contingent upon Juniper Networks delivering any feature or 
> functionality expressed or implied in this roadmap or product 
> discussion."
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
> Liaison                              Beijing Office
> Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
> Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
> miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBRxzJlb/UEA/xivvmEQLSMgCfd7cym9khjUvXjASvqJEmXx2creoAn0K3
GXjDdx6B+SMyV5FJIXGm4DGL
=L/ya
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From junbi at cernet.edu.cn  Tue Oct 23 01:27:21 2007
From: junbi at cernet.edu.cn (Jun Bi)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:27:21 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net><C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com><471CC880.20306@juniper.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DAD@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
Message-ID: <019c01c814d0$d0381ab0$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>

Hi Barry,

I should say, this SAVI WG isn't going to ignore anything.
Please see the goals:
"3 For existing solutions, document or encourage vendor to document as RFC."

So please join this WG and contribute your work to IETF.
During the "interim meeting" held in Finland, I belive Fred introduced some of the cisco work. 
You may give the WG more inputs. 

BTW, you may already found that the WG goal is rescoped to the access network.

thanks,
Jun Bi
.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene at cisco.com>
To: <miw at juniper.net>
Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one


> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> 
>> So you are saying.....
>> 
>> 1. it is a good thing to have source policing....
> 
> That funny. I guess you don't know me or know the work I've been
> doing to get source address spoofing technologies built (uRPF, IP
> Source Verify, DHCP Lease Query, etc.) and deployed. The deployment
> in really big SPs across the planet is important.
> 
>> 2. it is a bad thing to have a recommended way in which to do it
> 
> This is not needed. We have those documents now. If you want to work
> on a document, help finish the RIPE document.
> 
> 
> 
>> ??
>> 
>> cheers,
>> 
>> Mark
>> 
>> Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
>> >  
>> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> > Hash: SHA1
>> >
>> > Restating - again and again.
>> >
>> > The problem with deployment of source address policing in 
>> networks is 
>> > NOT Standardization! It is economics!
>> >
>> > This proposal is ignoring operational input from the 
>> networks who have 
>> > to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
>> >
>> >  
>> >
>> >   
>> >> -----Original Message-----
>> >> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
>> >> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On Behalf Of Jari 
>> >> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
>> >> To: SAVA Mailing List
>> >> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
>> >>
>> >> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
>> >>  
>> >> Co-chairs
>> >> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
>> >>  
>> >> Internet Area Directors:
>> >> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
>> >> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
>> >>  
>> >> Technical Advisors:
>> >> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
>> >> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
>> >>  
>> >> Mailing Lists:
>> >> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
>> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>> >> Mailing List Archive:
>> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
>> >> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
>> >>  
>> >> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source 
>> IP address 
>> >> is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source 
>> >> Address Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise 
>> >> mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the 
>> access network. 
>> >> Sepecifically:
>> >>  
>> >> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that 
>> are assigned 
>> >> to it.
>> >> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
>> >> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
>> >>  
>> >> The source address validation points may include:
>> >>  
>> >> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
>> the port 
>> >> and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit 
>> router. 3. Or on 
>> >> a remote host.
>> >>  
>> >> There are many cases in enterprise networks and 
>> residential broadband 
>> >> networks, all requiring their own solutions:
>> >> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
>> >> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
>> >> 3 DSL.
>> >> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
>> >>  
>> >> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
>> following 
>> >> work items:
>> >> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an 
>> >> Informational Standard.
>> >> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
>> >> framework model, then submit architectural framework 
>> document to the 
>> >> IESG.
>> >> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
>> document 
>> >> as RFC.
>> >> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
>> submit them 
>> >> to the IESG.
>> >>  
>> >> Milestones:
>> >> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this Charter to be 
>> >> approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
>> approved and WG 
>> >> created.
>> >> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
>> >> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
>> draft 00 
>> >> SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem 
>> >> Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to submit 
>> final Drafts 
>> >> of SAVI solutions to IESG
>> >>  
>> >>  
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> SAVA mailing list
>> >> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
>> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>> >>     
>> >
>> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> > Version: PGP 8.1
>> >
>> > iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
>> > PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
>> > =C+gr
>> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > > > SAVA mailing list
>> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
>> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>> >
>> >   
>> 
>> --
>> "Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set 
>> forth Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to 
>> change at any time without notice.  No purchases are 
>> contingent upon Juniper Networks delivering any feature or 
>> functionality expressed or implied in this roadmap or product 
>> discussion."
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>> Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
>> Liaison                              Beijing Office
>> Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
>> Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
>> miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 8.1
> 
> iQA/AwUBRxzJlb/UEA/xivvmEQLSMgCfd7cym9khjUvXjASvqJEmXx2creoAn0K3
> GXjDdx6B+SMyV5FJIXGm4DGL
> =L/ya
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>

From bgreene at cisco.com  Tue Oct 23 01:40:06 2007
From: bgreene at cisco.com (Barry Greene (bgreene))
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:40:06 -0700
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <019c01c814d0$d0381ab0$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net><C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com><471CC880.20306@juniper.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DAD@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
	<019c01c814d0$d0381ab0$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
Message-ID: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944E86@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>

 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

You can have a multitude of "technology," "solutions," and
"standards" to achieve BCP38. But, if you do not take the factors of
how you deploy, maintain, and manage cost, none of these "tools" will
ever get deployed through out the Internet.

I'm glad SAVA is waking up to the fact that there are other
technologies. Now how about waking up to the fact that there have
been people working to get deployment for close to a decade. That
"deployment experience" needs to be pulled into any new IETF work. If
not, then there is no need for a new WG. We already have BCP 38.





> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jun Bi [mailto:junbi at cernet.edu.cn] 
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 10:27 AM
> To: Barry Greene (bgreene); miw at juniper.net
> Cc: SAVA Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> 
> Hi Barry,
> 
> I should say, this SAVI WG isn't going to ignore anything.
> Please see the goals:
> "3 For existing solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> document as RFC."
> 
> So please join this WG and contribute your work to IETF.
> During the "interim meeting" held in Finland, I belive Fred 
> introduced some of the cisco work. 
> You may give the WG more inputs. 
> 
> BTW, you may already found that the WG goal is rescoped to 
> the access network.
> 
> thanks,
> Jun Bi
> .
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene at cisco.com>
> To: <miw at juniper.net>
> Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
> Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:02 AM
> Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> 
> 
> > 
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> > 
> > 
> >> So you are saying.....
> >> 
> >> 1. it is a good thing to have source policing....
> > 
> > That funny. I guess you don't know me or know the work I've been
> > doing to get source address spoofing technologies built (uRPF, IP
> > Source Verify, DHCP Lease Query, etc.) and deployed. The deployment
> > in really big SPs across the planet is important.
> > 
> >> 2. it is a bad thing to have a recommended way in which to do it
> > 
> > This is not needed. We have those documents now. If you want to work
> > on a document, help finish the RIPE document.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >> ??
> >> 
> >> cheers,
> >> 
> >> Mark
> >> 
> >> Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
> >> >  
> >> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >> > Hash: SHA1
> >> >
> >> > Restating - again and again.
> >> >
> >> > The problem with deployment of source address policing in 
> >> networks is 
> >> > NOT Standardization! It is economics!
> >> >
> >> > This proposal is ignoring operational input from the 
> >> networks who have 
> >> > to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
> >> >
> >> >  
> >> >
> >> >   
> >> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> >> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> >> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On 
> Behalf Of Jari 
> >> >> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
> >> >> To: SAVA Mailing List
> >> >> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> >> >>
> >> >> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
> >> >>  
> >> >> Co-chairs
> >> >> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Internet Area Directors:
> >> >> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
> >> >> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Technical Advisors:
> >> >> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
> >> >> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Mailing Lists:
> >> >> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >> Mailing List Archive:
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
> >> >> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
> >> >>  
> >> >> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source 
> >> IP address 
> >> >> is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the 
> proposed "Source 
> >> >> Address Validation Improvements " working group is to 
> standardise 
> >> >> mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the 
> >> access network. 
> >> >> Sepecifically:
> >> >>  
> >> >> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that 
> >> are assigned 
> >> >> to it.
> >> >> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
> >> >> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
> >> >>  
> >> >> The source address validation points may include:
> >> >>  
> >> >> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
> >> the port 
> >> >> and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit 
> >> router. 3. Or on 
> >> >> a remote host.
> >> >>  
> >> >> There are many cases in enterprise networks and 
> >> residential broadband 
> >> >> networks, all requiring their own solutions:
> >> >> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
> >> >> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
> >> >> 3 DSL.
> >> >> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
> >> >>  
> >> >> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
> >> following 
> >> >> work items:
> >> >> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the 
> IESG as an 
> >> >> Informational Standard.
> >> >> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
> >> >> framework model, then submit architectural framework 
> >> document to the 
> >> >> IESG.
> >> >> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> >> document 
> >> >> as RFC.
> >> >> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
> >> submit them 
> >> >> to the IESG.
> >> >>  
> >> >> Milestones:
> >> >> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this 
> Charter to be 
> >> >> approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
> >> approved and WG 
> >> >> created.
> >> >> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
> >> >> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
> >> draft 00 
> >> >> SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem 
> >> >> Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to submit 
> >> final Drafts 
> >> >> of SAVI solutions to IESG
> >> >>  
> >> >>  
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> _______________________________________________
> >> >> SAVA mailing list
> >> >> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >>     
> >> >
> >> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >> > Version: PGP 8.1
> >> >
> >> > iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
> >> > PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
> >> > =C+gr
> >> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > > > SAVA mailing list
> >> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >
> >> >   
> >> 
> >> --
> >> "Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set 
> >> forth Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to 
> >> change at any time without notice.  No purchases are 
> >> contingent upon Juniper Networks delivering any feature or 
> >> functionality expressed or implied in this roadmap or product 
> >> discussion."
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
> >> Liaison                              Beijing Office
> >> Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
> >> Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
> >> miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749
> > 
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: PGP 8.1
> > 
> > iQA/AwUBRxzJlb/UEA/xivvmEQLSMgCfd7cym9khjUvXjASvqJEmXx2creoAn0K3
> > GXjDdx6B+SMyV5FJIXGm4DGL
> > =L/ya
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > _______________________________________________
> > > > SAVA mailing list
> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBRxzgdr/UEA/xivvmEQKARgCfYLA91UPxxIM+jyrDUV07pDss7CcAoKIU
gQhczTU5NIRy3FJNcgwp2hG7
=IPj4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From fred at cisco.com  Tue Oct 23 02:59:14 2007
From: fred at cisco.com (Fred Baker)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:59:14 -0700
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
Message-ID: <FB7AF4DB-1ACF-4D6D-ABB4-493E72525741@cisco.com>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:

> This proposal is ignoring operational input from the networks who
> have to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."


Remind me. I thought it was brought to us by a network that wanted to  
deploy, operate, and maintain the framework?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFHHPMCbjEdbHIsm0MRAsTQAJ9QjV7IDu6MmnUrdkq/HRwSCPe9FwCfd6Jd
DOqnC4myVxSqyKdN2OrPdbc=
=5Z6w
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


From christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com  Tue Oct 23 05:01:54 2007
From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:01:54 +0300
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <B29D8DE4-142F-4CA8-BD6A-0B649A62EA28@viagenie.ca>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<B29D8DE4-142F-4CA8-BD6A-0B649A62EA28@viagenie.ca>
Message-ID: <471D0FC2.8020608@nomadiclab.com>

Marc:

> - should it have a specific reference to MobileIP
> support, since the use of MIP may have an impact on this
> work?

It would be worthwhile to depend this on the extent of 
deployment of Mobile IP*v4* without support for reverse 
tunneling because IP source addresses may be topologically 
incorrect only in case of this Mobile IP variant.

If deployment of Mobile IPv4 without reverse tunneling is
negligible, we may not need to handle Mobile IP separately 
in this working group.

- Christian




From junbi at cernet.edu.cn  Tue Oct 23 13:28:54 2007
From: junbi at cernet.edu.cn (Jun Bi)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:28:54 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net><C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com><471CC880.20306@juniper.net>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DAD@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
	<019c01c814d0$d0381ab0$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
	<C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944E86@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
Message-ID: <03ae01c81535$9ec6fc70$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>

I believe the incentive mechnism for deployment is also within the scope of the proposed WG.
I also believe any deployment experience form opereators or vendors are valuable inputs for this WG.

thanks,
Jun Bi

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene at cisco.com>
To: "Jun Bi" <junbi at cernet.edu.cn>; <miw at juniper.net>
Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:40 AM
Subject: RE: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

You can have a multitude of "technology," "solutions," and
"standards" to achieve BCP38. But, if you do not take the factors of
how you deploy, maintain, and manage cost, none of these "tools" will
ever get deployed through out the Internet.

I'm glad SAVA is waking up to the fact that there are other
technologies. Now how about waking up to the fact that there have
been people working to get deployment for close to a decade. That
"deployment experience" needs to be pulled into any new IETF work. If
not, then there is no need for a new WG. We already have BCP 38.





> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jun Bi [mailto:junbi at cernet.edu.cn] 
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 10:27 AM
> To: Barry Greene (bgreene); miw at juniper.net
> Cc: SAVA Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> 
> Hi Barry,
> 
> I should say, this SAVI WG isn't going to ignore anything.
> Please see the goals:
> "3 For existing solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> document as RFC."
> 
> So please join this WG and contribute your work to IETF.
> During the "interim meeting" held in Finland, I belive Fred 
> introduced some of the cisco work. 
> You may give the WG more inputs. 
> 
> BTW, you may already found that the WG goal is rescoped to 
> the access network.
> 
> thanks,
> Jun Bi
> .
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene at cisco.com>
> To: <miw at juniper.net>
> Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
> Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:02 AM
> Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> 
> 
> > 
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> > 
> > 
> >> So you are saying.....
> >> 
> >> 1. it is a good thing to have source policing....
> > 
> > That funny. I guess you don't know me or know the work I've been
> > doing to get source address spoofing technologies built (uRPF, IP
> > Source Verify, DHCP Lease Query, etc.) and deployed. The deployment
> > in really big SPs across the planet is important.
> > 
> >> 2. it is a bad thing to have a recommended way in which to do it
> > 
> > This is not needed. We have those documents now. If you want to work
> > on a document, help finish the RIPE document.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >> ??
> >> 
> >> cheers,
> >> 
> >> Mark
> >> 
> >> Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
> >> >  
> >> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >> > Hash: SHA1
> >> >
> >> > Restating - again and again.
> >> >
> >> > The problem with deployment of source address policing in 
> >> networks is 
> >> > NOT Standardization! It is economics!
> >> >
> >> > This proposal is ignoring operational input from the 
> >> networks who have 
> >> > to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
> >> >
> >> >  
> >> >
> >> >   
> >> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> >> From: sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> >> [mailto:sava-bounces at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn] On 
> Behalf Of Jari 
> >> >> Arkko Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:41 AM
> >> >> To: SAVA Mailing List
> >> >> Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
> >> >>
> >> >> IETF BOF Proposal: Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)
> >> >>  
> >> >> Co-chairs
> >> >> Paul Ferguson <paul_ferguson at trendmicro.com>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Internet Area Directors:
> >> >> Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
> >> >> Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Technical Advisors:
> >> >> Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com>
> >> >> Jianping Wu <jianping at cernet.edu.cn>
> >> >>  
> >> >> Mailing Lists:
> >> >> General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn To Subscribe: 
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >> Mailing List Archive:
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/ Document
> >> >> Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava
> >> >>  
> >> >> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source 
> >> IP address 
> >> >> is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the 
> proposed "Source 
> >> >> Address Validation Improvements " working group is to 
> standardise 
> >> >> mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the 
> >> access network. 
> >> >> Sepecifically:
> >> >>  
> >> >> 1. Ensure that a host only uses IP source addresses that 
> >> are assigned 
> >> >> to it.
> >> >> 2. Support IPv4 and IPv6 with mechanisms as similar as possible.
> >> >> 3. Support multiple IPv4/IPv6 address assignment types.
> >> >>  
> >> >> The source address validation points may include:
> >> >>  
> >> >> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see 
> >> the port 
> >> >> and MAC address information) 2. On an upstream exit 
> >> router. 3. Or on 
> >> >> a remote host.
> >> >>  
> >> >> There are many cases in enterprise networks and 
> >> residential broadband 
> >> >> networks, all requiring their own solutions:
> >> >> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3.
> >> >> 2 Wireless: 802.11/16.
> >> >> 3 DSL.
> >> >> 4 Cable Modem, etc.
> >> >>  
> >> >> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the 
> >> following 
> >> >> work items:
> >> >> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the 
> IESG as an 
> >> >> Informational Standard.
> >> >> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the 
> >> >> framework model, then submit architectural framework 
> >> document to the 
> >> >> IESG.
> >> >> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to 
> >> document 
> >> >> as RFC.
> >> >> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then 
> >> submit them 
> >> >> to the IESG.
> >> >>  
> >> >> Milestones:
> >> >> Dec 07 Plan to hold BoF in IETF 70, asking for this 
> Charter to be 
> >> >> approved Jan 08 Plan to get Final version of Charter 
> >> approved and WG 
> >> >> created.
> >> >> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and 
> >> >> Architectural Framework for SAVI July 08 Plan to submit WG 
> >> draft 00 
> >> >> SAVI solutions Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem 
> >> >> Statement and Framework to IESG March 09 Plan to submit 
> >> final Drafts 
> >> >> of SAVI solutions to IESG
> >> >>  
> >> >>  
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> _______________________________________________
> >> >> SAVA mailing list
> >> >> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> >> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >>     
> >> >
> >> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >> > Version: PGP 8.1
> >> >
> >> > iQA/AwUBRxzHgb/UEA/xivvmEQKL9gCgrAgHCnmVu+GxneZEcBWFdL2u+yMAn0Vk
> >> > PXJo5XfDtQqGXHjHYAihaNWr
> >> > =C+gr
> >> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > > > SAVA mailing list
> >> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> >> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >> >
> >> >   
> >> 
> >> --
> >> "Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set 
> >> forth Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to 
> >> change at any time without notice.  No purchases are 
> >> contingent upon Juniper Networks delivering any feature or 
> >> functionality expressed or implied in this roadmap or product 
> >> discussion."
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
> >> Liaison                              Beijing Office
> >> Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
> >> Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
> >> miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749
> > 
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: PGP 8.1
> > 
> > iQA/AwUBRxzJlb/UEA/xivvmEQLSMgCfd7cym9khjUvXjASvqJEmXx2creoAn0K3
> > GXjDdx6B+SMyV5FJIXGm4DGL
> > =L/ya
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > _______________________________________________
> > > > SAVA mailing list
> > SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> > http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
> >

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBRxzgdr/UEA/xivvmEQKARgCfYLA91UPxxIM+jyrDUV07pDss7CcAoKIU
gQhczTU5NIRy3FJNcgwp2hG7
=IPj4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

From junbi at cernet.edu.cn  Tue Oct 23 13:37:23 2007
From: junbi at cernet.edu.cn (Jun Bi)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:37:23 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net><C35ADD020AEBD04383C1F7F644227FDF04944DA5@xmb-sjc-227.amer.cisco.com>
	<FB7AF4DB-1ACF-4D6D-ABB4-493E72525741@cisco.com>
Message-ID: <03b501c81536$ca972720$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>

I think, as one of the network operators, CERNET is willing to deploy some cost-effective solutions 
so that the administrators and users can be away from the source address spoofing problem.

thanks,
Jun Bi
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Fred Baker" <fred at cisco.com>
To: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene at cisco.com>
Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:59 AM
Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one


> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> 
> On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:
> 
>> This proposal is ignoring operational input from the networks who
>> have to deploy, operate and maintain the "framework."
> 
> 
> Remind me. I thought it was brought to us by a network that wanted to  
> deploy, operate, and maintain the framework?

From pekkas at netcore.fi  Tue Oct 23 17:18:21 2007
From: pekkas at netcore.fi (Pekka Savola)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:18:21 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0710231157370.4679@netcore.fi>

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Jari Arkko wrote:
> The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP address 
> is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source 
> Address Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise 
> mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the access network.

The first sentence seems somewhat loose, and the charter does not 
emphasize strongly enough its focus on host-specific checking.

Maybe reword:

While the MIT Spoofer project has measured that about 75% of networks 
deploy ingress filtering, ingress filtering at a finer granularity is 
not yet as common.  A number of proprietary mechanisms exist (e.g., 
"IP source guard") which offer partial solutions to prevent hosts from 
spoofing the source address of another host in the same subnet.  The 
purpose of the proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements" 
working group is to standardise mechanisms to prevent source address 
spoofing in the access network.

> The source address validation points may include:
>
> 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see the port and
> MAC address information)

"hop" is not a good word here, as we're not talking about the _IP_ 
hop.  Maybe:

1. At the first network device in a local area network (e.g., Ethernet
    switch, where you can see the port and MAC address information)

[[ note: the term 'local area network' is somewhat ethernet-centric 
and a better more generic word would be better..]]

> 2. On an upstream exit router.

Too ambiguous: in the context of SAVI, you're referring to the 
first-hop router, right, not e.g., site's exit router?  Maybe:

2. On the local area network's first-hop exit router(s).

> 3. Or on a remote host.

Misleading: in the context of SAVI, we're talking about the host in 
the same subnet.  Remote host verification is out of scope.  Maybe:

3. Or on another host in the same local area network.

> With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the following
> work items:
> 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an
> Informational
> Standard.

s/Standard/RFC/

> 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the framework
> model,
> then submit architectural framework document to the IESG.

"evaluate compliance to the framework model, ... submit architectural 
framework document".  I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Which category would this document be?

I guess you'd first write up the "framework model", look how existing 
mechanisms fit in there, revise as needed, and then submit the 
document to the IESG.

Maybe the formulation of this could be more straightforward.

Is this even needed?  I suspect the problem statement draft needs to 
discuss existing approaches to some degree and maybe the framework 
would not be needed after all.

> 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to document as RFC.

Informational RFC?  Through RFC-editor's process or through this WG?

> 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then submit them to
> the IESG.

This seems to imply that the work items of the WG are not well thought 
out.  If the WG would need to produce (or help significantly in others 
doing so) problem statement/framework/existing solutions, do we wait 
until that work is complete before starting something new?

My suggestion would be that the WG would recharter after the first 
steps, i.e., when it thinks it knows what kind of protocol it needs to 
develop (if any).  Getting a couple of general documents out and 
helping in vendors documenting, or documenting in the WG, existing 
solutions probably already takes 1-2 years (even with optimistic 
estimiates).

> March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and
> Architectural Framework for SAVI
> July 08 Plan to submit WG draft 00 SAVI solutions
> Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem Statement and Framework to
> IESG
> March 09 Plan to submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG

"draft 00 SAVI solutions" -- is that one document?  March 09 DL seems 
to imply multiple drafts.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings


From miw at juniper.net  Tue Oct 23 23:44:48 2007
From: miw at juniper.net (Mark Williams)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:44:48 +0800
Subject: [SAVA]  new bof proposal, take two
In-Reply-To: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0710231157370.4679@netcore.fi>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<Pine.LNX.4.64.0710231157370.4679@netcore.fi>
Message-ID: <471E16F0.5060108@juniper.net>

I've incorporated most of these suggestions and a couple of others into 
the document attached. I didn't do anything about the three points 
below, not because I necessarily disagree but because they are probably 
worth more discussion.

 > 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the framework
 > model,
 > then submit architectural framework document to the IESG.

"evaluate compliance to the framework model, ... submit architectural
framework document".  I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Which category would this document be?

I guess you'd first write up the "framework model", look how existing
mechanisms fit in there, revise as needed, and then submit the
document to the IESG.

Maybe the formulation of this could be more straightforward.

Is this even needed?  I suspect the problem statement draft needs to
discuss existing approaches to some degree and maybe the framework
would not be needed after all.

 > 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to document 
as RFC.

Informational RFC?  Through RFC-editor's process or through this WG?

 > 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then submit them to
 > the IESG.

This seems to imply that the work items of the WG are not well thought
out.  If the WG would need to produce (or help significantly in others
doing so) problem statement/framework/existing solutions, do we wait
until that work is complete before starting something new?

My suggestion would be that the WG would recharter after the first
steps, i.e., when it thinks it knows what kind of protocol it needs to
develop (if any).  Getting a couple of general documents out and
helping in vendors documenting, or documenting in the WG, existing
solutions probably already takes 1-2 years (even with optimistic
estimiates).


Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Jari Arkko wrote:
> > The Current situation in IPv4 and IPv6 is that the source IP address
> > is not checked in most cases. The purpose of the proposed "Source
> > Address Validation Improvements " working group is to standardise
> > mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in the access network.
>
> The first sentence seems somewhat loose, and the charter does not
> emphasize strongly enough its focus on host-specific checking.
>
> Maybe reword:
>
> While the MIT Spoofer project has measured that about 75% of networks
> deploy ingress filtering, ingress filtering at a finer granularity is
> not yet as common.  A number of proprietary mechanisms exist (e.g.,
> "IP source guard") which offer partial solutions to prevent hosts from
> spoofing the source address of another host in the same subnet.  The
> purpose of the proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements"
> working group is to standardise mechanisms to prevent source address
> spoofing in the access network.
>
> > The source address validation points may include:
> >
> > 1. At the first hop in a local area network (where can see the port and
> > MAC address information)
>
> "hop" is not a good word here, as we're not talking about the _IP_
> hop.  Maybe:
>
> 1. At the first network device in a local area network (e.g., Ethernet
>     switch, where you can see the port and MAC address information)
>
> [[ note: the term 'local area network' is somewhat ethernet-centric
> and a better more generic word would be better..]]
>
> > 2. On an upstream exit router.
>
> Too ambiguous: in the context of SAVI, you're referring to the
> first-hop router, right, not e.g., site's exit router?  Maybe:
>
> 2. On the local area network's first-hop exit router(s).
>
> > 3. Or on a remote host.
>
> Misleading: in the context of SAVI, we're talking about the host in
> the same subnet.  Remote host verification is out of scope.  Maybe:
>
> 3. Or on another host in the same local area network.
>
> > With this in mind, the goals of the WG are to complete the following
> > work items:
> > 1 Document the problem statement and submit it to the IESG as an
> > Informational
> > Standard.
>
> s/Standard/RFC/
>
> > 2 Survey all existing methods and evaluate compliance to the framework
> > model,
> > then submit architectural framework document to the IESG.
>
> "evaluate compliance to the framework model, ... submit architectural
> framework document".  I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.
>
> Which category would this document be?
>
> I guess you'd first write up the "framework model", look how existing
> mechanisms fit in there, revise as needed, and then submit the
> document to the IESG.
>
> Maybe the formulation of this could be more straightforward.
>
> Is this even needed?  I suspect the problem statement draft needs to
> discuss existing approaches to some degree and maybe the framework
> would not be needed after all.
>
> > 3 For exisiting solutions, document or encourage vendor to document 
> as RFC.
>
> Informational RFC?  Through RFC-editor's process or through this WG?
>
> > 4 Identify any remaining gaps and devise solutions, then submit them to
> > the IESG.
>
> This seems to imply that the work items of the WG are not well thought
> out.  If the WG would need to produce (or help significantly in others
> doing so) problem statement/framework/existing solutions, do we wait
> until that work is complete before starting something new?
>
> My suggestion would be that the WG would recharter after the first
> steps, i.e., when it thinks it knows what kind of protocol it needs to
> develop (if any).  Getting a couple of general documents out and
> helping in vendors documenting, or documenting in the WG, existing
> solutions probably already takes 1-2 years (even with optimistic
> estimiates).
>
> > March 08 Plan to submit WG Draft 00 on Problem Statement and
> > Architectural Framework for SAVI
> > July 08 Plan to submit WG draft 00 SAVI solutions
> > Dec 08 Plan to submit final Drafts of Problem Statement and Framework to
> > IESG
> > March 09 Plan to submit final Drafts of SAVI solutions to IESG
>
> "draft 00 SAVI solutions" -- is that one document?  March 09 DL seems
> to imply multiple drafts.
>
> --
> Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
> Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
> Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
>
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>

-- 
"Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set forth
Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to change at any
time without notice.  No purchases are contingent upon Juniper
Networks delivering any feature or functionality expressed or implied
in this roadmap or product discussion."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
Liaison                              Beijing Office
Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: savi-ietf70-BoF proposal.txt
Url: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/attachments/20071023/a82f2eed/attachment-0001.txt 

From hartmans-ietf at mit.edu  Wed Oct 24 01:16:18 2007
From: hartmans-ietf at mit.edu (Sam Hartman)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:16:18 -0400
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net> (Jari Arkko's message of "Mon, 22
	Oct 2007 17:40:57 +0200")
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
Message-ID: <tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu>

Jari, thanks for this proposal.

This proposed charter is clear enough that I can think about it and
come to a crisp opinion on whether I think the work should proceed.
That has not been true in the past.

To that end, I don't think the problem stated in this charter
justifies creation of a working group.

The charter makes it clear that we're not even sure that there are
gaps in this area requiring standardization within the IETF.  The
charter also hints that the problem space is likely to be very layer-2
specific.

I do not think the criteria of RFC 2418 for forming a working group
have been met.  I don't think a second BOF will help.  A study group
is inappropriate because there has not been demonstrated IETF
consensus that the problem area is one we'd like to work on.  So, I
think we should say no.

I appreciate your efforts in getting to a point where it's clear
enough what we're discussing.


From junbi at cernet.edu.cn  Wed Oct 24 11:42:07 2007
From: junbi at cernet.edu.cn (Jun Bi)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:42:07 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net> <tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu>
Message-ID: <06ce01c815ef$db848000$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>

Hi Sam, 

I am not quit catch your point. 
Do you mean, the new SAVI WG should include the work rather than the access network ?
Let me try to give some explanation.

First, because the problem to fix in the whole Internet is too complicated, so during the parts 
months, most participants suggested that the WG should resolve the problem in the access network as the first step. 
The access network is an administration level that is feasible to be deployed with doable solutions, which are based on 
the improvement of existing (but may no be fully  IETF standardized ) technologies. 
The remaining problem in the Internet will  be resolved later. Actually, the "interim meeting" did discuss the inter-/intra-AS 
problem and ideas, please refer to documents on the meeting website. 

Second, it's not the layer2-only stuff. At the access network level, we have difference validation points (e.g. switch, exit router), 
so we need difference src addr validation solutions for different validation points. I guess only the first validation point is 
layer-2 related (because at other validation point, the Layer-2 information carried in the packet/frame is lost). 
So that will be within the scope of IETF.

Thanks,
Jun Bi

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sam Hartman" <hartmans-ietf at mit.edu>
To: "Jari Arkko" <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
Cc: "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one


> Jari, thanks for this proposal.
> 
> This proposed charter is clear enough that I can think about it and
> come to a crisp opinion on whether I think the work should proceed.
> That has not been true in the past.
> 
> To that end, I don't think the problem stated in this charter
> justifies creation of a working group.
> 
> The charter makes it clear that we're not even sure that there are
> gaps in this area requiring standardization within the IETF.  The
> charter also hints that the problem space is likely to be very layer-2
> specific.
> 
> I do not think the criteria of RFC 2418 for forming a working group
> have been met.  I don't think a second BOF will help.  A study group
> is inappropriate because there has not been demonstrated IETF
> consensus that the problem area is one we'd like to work on.  So, I
> think we should say no.
> 
> I appreciate your efforts in getting to a point where it's clear
> enough what we're discussing.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>

From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Wed Oct 24 16:59:55 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:59:55 +0200
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take three
In-Reply-To: <471E16F0.5060108@juniper.net>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<Pine.LNX.4.64.0710231157370.4679@netcore.fi>
	<471E16F0.5060108@juniper.net>
Message-ID: <471F098B.6010506@piuha.net>

I tend to agree with the comments made so far. Version one was way too
vague about the scope of the proposed work, and some of that still
remains in version two.

But we need everyone to wipe their minds about the earlier SAVA
proposals. What we have now on the table is completely different, and
very focused.

For background, the SAVA effort started a year ago from a very ambitious
plan that involved improvements in being able to validate decisions made
networks on the other side of the planet. For various reasons the IETF
community has not found this approach worthwhile to pursue. The primary
reason in my mind is that the required changes in the routers and
supporting infrastructure would be extremely costly for what appears to
be an improvement of debatable value. However, this does not necessarily
imply that there is no work in this space. Indeed, when talking about
the topic we found vendors and users doing simple things to provide
better support against address spoofing in their local networks.

With this in mind, we met in Helsinki a couple of weeks ago to do a
reset and see if there was something concrete that we could do. My
conclusion from those discussions was that there's plenty of research
topics in this space that should stay as such. But at the same time,
there were also concrete items relating to checking for address spoofing
in a local network that would seem to benefit from standardization.

One of these items was what Cisco and other vendors do for IPv4 address
spoofing checks in a switch; the question is whether an IETF
specification of such behavior would be useful. I think so, because an
IETF document of an existing practice can make it more attractive to a
wider range of users and vendors. Another item was the same feature in
IPv6. This is currently not implemented, and is technically more
challenging than the IPv4 version. However, it appeared to be a feasible
task for IETF work. And I believe doing this would be useful, because if
left to individual programmers, we probably have many different versions
of it, some not completely functional in all circumstances.

Relating to Sam's comment: yes, this is a link layer dependent effort.
But making IP run over link layers is within IETF's scope, and I believe
we are better equipped than the link layer organizations to think about
what IP layer messages need to be tracked to achieve the desired
functionality.

I personally believe these two tasks would justify a focused WG.
However, one of the gating items is whether the proponents of the WG are
capable of delivering an early draft of the IPv6 specification. As of
today, I still do not have this draft. Fred, Pekka: please submit the
IPv4 version that you already have, and see if you can come up with the
early version for IPv6 -- preferably today! (We need to take decisions
tomorrow.)

Please find a third revision of the charter proposal below:

Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI)

Co-chairs
TBD

Internet Area Directors:
Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>
Mark Townsley <townsley at cisco.com>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
To Subscribe: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
Mailing List Archive: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/
Document Repository: http://narl.tsinghua.edu.cn/sava

While the MIT Spoofer project has measured that about 75% of networks
deploy ingress filtering, ingress filtering at a finer granularity is
not yet as common.  A number of proprietary mechanisms exist (e.g., "IP
source guard") which offer partial solutions to prevent hosts from
spoofing the source address of another host in the same subnet.  The
purpose of the proposed "Source Address Validation Improvements" working
group is to standardize mechanisms to prevent source address spoofing in
the access network.

Specifically, the group shall define solutions such that hosts attached
to the same router cannot spoof each other's addresses. The following
assumptions apply:

- The WG considers only solutions on layer 3 aware Ethernet switches.
- Two solutions are needed, one for IPv4 and another one for IPv6
- The IPv4 solution depends on tracking the DHCP traffic on a port.
- The IPv6 solution depends on tracking the ND and DHCP traffic on a port.
- All address assignment mechanisms in IPv6 need to be supported,
including stateless, stateful, privacy, and so on.
- The solutions are turned on for on host ports by configuration, and do
not apply to routers.

The WG recognizes anti-spoofing deployment efforts, motivation, and best
practices development in various forums around the world (including
RIPE). The WG is only chartered to deliver two specific solution
components that such efforts could employ. The bigger questions are out
of scope.

Milestones:

Done      First draft on IPv4 solution
Oct 07    First draft on IPv6 solution
Oct 07    BOF decision
Dec 07   BOF in IETF-70
Jan 08    WG approval
Feb 08    First WG draft on IPv4 solution
Apr 08    First WG draft on IPv6 solution
Jun 08    Submit IPv4 solution to IESG for Proposed Standard
Dec 08   Submit IPv6 solution to IESG for Proposed Standard



From miw at juniper.net  Wed Oct 24 22:51:33 2007
From: miw at juniper.net (Mark Williams)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:51:33 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net> <tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu>
Message-ID: <471F5BF5.5060108@juniper.net>

Let me give a perspective on SAVI based on a previous life. Note here 
that I am talking specifically about SAVI and not SAVA. SAVA is 
basically two problems: (1.) How do I establish the validity of a 
packet's source address, and (2.) Once it is established, how do I 
preserve the knowledge of its validity as the packet traverses the 
Internet. SAVI only addresses problem (1). It's not the full story, but 
it is a precondition for really solving (2), and it is useful in itself 
as I will discuss.

Before I ran off and joined the circus I was the engineer in charge of 
design, operation and procurement of a campus network with about 7,000 
Ethernet ports which was quite big in those days in Australia. One of 
the issues I had was that I had no bulletproof way of ascribing activity 
to an individual. I could take dumps of activity using TCPDump, but 
since IP addresses and of course MAC addresses were easily spoofable 
within a broadcast domain, about the only way to collar people was to 
catch them when they used dialup (because our dialup servers, unlike 
Ethernet were *not* spoofable) or hope that they used the campus email 
servers. Note that we didn't have the time or the interest to chase 
minor stuff like copyright offendors. In those distant days the RIAA had 
not yet bought our legislators. In order to get us to go to the expense 
and trouble of building a case against someone, it had to be a case of 
racketeering, drug dealing, child pornography or major hacking, which 
are more common on campuses than one would like to think. I guess if you 
have a community in excess of 30,000 people some of them wil not be nice 
people.

So IP address spoofing in the campus was definitely a problem then. Is 
it still a problem? in fact, yesterday I was talking to an engineer for 
an NREN backbone and his opinion was that most campus networks in his 
country were still spoofable. I asked why people didn't specify 
infrastructure that had something that could enforce anti-spoofing. He 
said it was because there are no standards. If there are no standards, 
you can't specify in a public tender process. "If I specify IP source 
Guard, then everyone other than Cisco will sue us". In other words, in 
the many parts of the world where public tender processes are important 
in procurement, they need an RFC or at least a generally accepted de 
facto standard in order to be able to buy the appropriate kit.

I would respectfully submit:

1) Source IP address spoofing *is* a problem, and the ease with which 
Source IP addresses can be spoofed in many places is a fundamental flaw 
in the way the Internet is built today. It cases problems in the 
assignment of responsibility for evil/illegal acts and it also 
represents a threat to the Internet's infrastructure.
 
     Packets with Spoofed Source Addresses are Undeniably unwanted.

2) IP source address spoofing in the access network is a problem for 
which there are solutions. Some of them have been implemented. There 
needs to be at least one openly specified set of mechanisms so that 
there is a good way for people to specify and procure compliant equipment.

3) Vendors will implement what comes out of the process. (in fact, some 
already have implemented proprietary solutions, simply because of 
customer demand.)

4) There is a community of people within the IETF who want to work on 
this, and they are drawn from a mix of vendors, backbone operators and 
campus network operators.

5) Since this is specific to IP networking (yes, each mechanism may be 
link-layer specific, but the problem is that of validating an IP 
address, not a link-layer address), the IETF is the right place for this 
work to be done. The only other candidate might be the IEEE, but I feel 
they are not the right choice. Someone suggested a European Internet 
Registry as the right place to specify a global standard. I certainly 
differ on that score.

Each of these points is open to debate, which is obviously welcome, but 
I'd suggest if they stand, then the WG charter and goals satisfies 
section 2.1 of  RFC2418

cheers,

Mark

Sam Hartman wrote:
> Jari, thanks for this proposal.
>
> This proposed charter is clear enough that I can think about it and
> come to a crisp opinion on whether I think the work should proceed.
> That has not been true in the past.
>
> To that end, I don't think the problem stated in this charter
> justifies creation of a working group.
>
> The charter makes it clear that we're not even sure that there are
> gaps in this area requiring standardization within the IETF.  The
> charter also hints that the problem space is likely to be very layer-2
> specific.
>
> I do not think the criteria of RFC 2418 for forming a working group
> have been met.  I don't think a second BOF will help.  A study group
> is inappropriate because there has not been demonstrated IETF
> consensus that the problem area is one we'd like to work on.  So, I
> think we should say no.
>
> I appreciate your efforts in getting to a point where it's clear
> enough what we're discussing.
>
> _______________________________________________
> SAVA mailing list
> SAVA at mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn
> http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sava
>
>   

-- 
"Product roadmap and/or product discussion in this email set forth
Juniper Networks' current intention and is subject to change at any
time without notice.  No purchases are contingent upon Juniper
Networks delivering any feature or functionality expressed or implied
in this roadmap or product discussion."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Williams                        Juniper Networks
Liaison                              Beijing Office
Academic Networking Sector           Tel: +86 10 6528 8800 x16032
Asia Pacific                         FAX: +61 7 3251 0155
miw at juniper.net                      Cell: +86 1370-111-4749



From hartmans-ietf at mit.edu  Wed Oct 24 23:31:33 2007
From: hartmans-ietf at mit.edu (Sam Hartman)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:31:33 -0400
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
In-Reply-To: <06ce01c815ef$db848000$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07> (Jun Bi's message
	of "Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:42:07 +0800")
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net> <tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu>
	<06ce01c815ef$db848000$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
Message-ID: <tsl640wedgq.fsf@mit.edu>

>>>>> "Jun" == Jun Bi <junbi at cernet.edu.cn> writes:

    Jun> Hi Sam, I am not quit catch your point.  Do you mean, the new
    Jun> SAVI WG should include the work rather than the access

No, I mean the WG should not exist.



From junbi at cernet.edu.cn  Thu Oct 25 11:09:20 2007
From: junbi at cernet.edu.cn (Jun Bi)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:09:20 +0800
Subject: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>
	<tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu><06ce01c815ef$db848000$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
	<tsl640wedgq.fsf@mit.edu>
Message-ID: <002001c816b4$7160e900$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>

Now, some peoeple discussed your questions and I found the bof proposal is also improved according to suggestions posted on the mailing-list.
So do you feel the new charter is better ?

Begards,
Jun
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sam Hartman" <hartmans-ietf at mit.edu>
To: "Jun Bi" <junbi at cernet.edu.cn>
Cc: "Jari Arkko" <jari.arkko at piuha.net>; "SAVA Mailing List" <sava at nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [SAVA] new bof proposal, take one


>>>>>> "Jun" == Jun Bi <junbi at cernet.edu.cn> writes:
> 
>    Jun> Hi Sam, I am not quit catch your point.  Do you mean, the new
>    Jun> SAVI WG should include the work rather than the access
> 
> No, I mean the WG should not exist.
>

From Hannes.Tschofenig at gmx.net  Sun Oct 28 17:40:05 2007
From: Hannes.Tschofenig at gmx.net (Hannes Tschofenig)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:40:05 +0100
Subject: [SAVA] Pictures from the Helsinki Meeting
In-Reply-To: <002001c816b4$7160e900$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
References: <471CC489.4000606@piuha.net>	<tslr6jlu4yl.fsf@mit.edu><06ce01c815ef$db848000$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>	<tsl640wedgq.fsf@mit.edu>
	<002001c816b4$7160e900$7c18423b@IBMC9236A69C07>
Message-ID: <472458F5.4000107@gmx.net>

I promised to send the pictures from the Helsinki SAVA meeting around.
Here they are:
http://www.tschofenig.com/private/SAVA_Oct2007/

Ciao
Hannes



From jari.arkko at piuha.net  Mon Oct 29 15:50:53 2007
From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:50:53 +0200
Subject: [SAVA] SAVI BOF in Vancouver
Message-ID: <472590DD.4010502@piuha.net>


Your BOF has been approved for Vancouver, for the "take three"
scope proposal. However, I would like to see a an early draft
of the IPv6 solution proposal in the next two weeks. And the
submission of the IPv4 solution proposal that we've already
seen but that does not exist in the I-D directories. Otherwise
we do not have a lot to discuss.

Please work on this, possibly other drafts, revised charter
proposals, etc. in the coming weeks. I am also looking for
chairs for the BOF, given that Paul will not be able to come
to Vancouver. Please volunteer by sending mail to me.

Jari



