Subject: [scale] Scaling VPNs at Christmas

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 21:42:27 -0000

Hello Scale Mailing List,

I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of activity on this list. If there is genuine
support for the idea of a BoF to discuss scaling VPNs (issues, requirements,
moving towards solutions) I would have expected to see more traffic.  Certainly,
if there is no more evidence of enthusiasm to discuss this then I don't think we
will go ahead with a face-to-face meeting (i.e. a BoF) at the London IETF.

I had expected to hear a chorus of complaints from operators about how they
struggle with their deployments today, and how they want to grow them soon. I
thought I was going to hear from a number of operators about the VPN
requirements of data centers. And I had expected a number of vendors to be
wanting to talk about how they address these problems. My expectation had been
that we would talk about different scaling challenges across the VPN space and
learn what techniques could be common.

But it is OK!
If no-one has scaling concerns or if no-one wants to talk about them right now,
we can move on.

Cheers,
Adrian