Subject: Re: [scale] Welcome to the MPLS VPN Scaling BoF preparation work

From: "Russ White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:05:06 -0500

> I've updated slide 2 mentioning number of pairwise associations and the
> management and configuration aspects.

You should also add rate of change, as that can actually be more important
than the number of tunnels, etc. The problem is going to be taking a
bulleted list and building it into a solid problem statement:

> We will need to converge on a problem statement, a tentative starting
point
> would be slide 2. We will need to help to create the problem statement.

Maybe:

Define and address scaling issues and solutions for large VPN deployments,
including the number of end points, number of reachable destinations, number
of multicast trees, length of path, and rate of change in the control plane
state.

The only thing is I don't know if the list needs to be this specific, or if
there should be a general description with specifics defined by the set of
drafts being proposed.

:-)

Russ

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:06:41 +0800

Russ,

Do i understand you correctly if I interpret "rate of change" as
the rate by which some type of change has to be done in the mpls
network? I.e. setting up or rearing down a tunnel?

/Loa

On 2013-12-04 01:05, Russ White wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> scale mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/scale
>

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: "Russ White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:50:06 -0500

> Do i understand you correctly if I interpret "rate of change" as the rate
by
> which some type of change has to be done in the mpls network? I.e. setting
> up or rearing down a tunnel?

Don't remember if I already answered this or not... I would say that scale
needs to encompass both the speed at which new tunnels are set up and torn
down as well as the rate at which topology changes in the network drive
tunnel modifications. Scale isn't just size of the control plane tables, but
also the rate at which those tables change.

:-)

Russ

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:35:07 +0800

Russ,

I think we are on the same page :).

--