Subject: MSG_ABORT flag in sendmsg call

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:53:04 +0530

Hi

The socket draft - 04  says:

"whenever sendmsg() or sendto is called and the sctp stack at the sender finds
that there are
 no associations between the sender and intended receiver, the stack will
automatically
 setup an association to the intended receiver."

Now my question is what if user has called sendmsg with MSG_ABORT flag set .
should an
implementation right away reject the request or should it establish an
asociation just to abort the
association.

regards
Manish

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

---

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:33:13 -0600

> setup an association to the intended receiver."

Well yes if you send on a udp-style socket this is the required 
behavior.. I am
guessing you meant to include "on a udp-style socket" in your query above...

>asociation just to abort the
I don't follow you here do you mean:

1) An association exists and the user calls
     a) send_msg(MSG_ABORT)
     b) send_msg(some new message)

or

2) No association exists and then the users calls
    a) send_msg(MSG_ABORT);

For 1 it is logical that you setup an association... for 2) I would think
you probably do NOT want to setup an association.. but this
is implementation dependant.. one could I guess but I don't see the 
point (much less
the point of why a user would do this anyway)..

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222(cell) or 815-477-2127(office)