Subject: TCP/UDP style

From: Janardhan Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:38:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

At the risk of repeating a well beaten question on this list:

What are the benefits of using UDP-style over TCP-style API?

As far as the application programmer's is concerned, in my limited
experience, I haven't seen anything that can be done with UDP-style but
not with TCP-style.  Yet the SCTP book (and I think the draft too) says
that the UDP-style interface should be used to "unleash" the full power of
SCTP. Am I missing something?

thanks and regards,
jana/sourabh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Janardhan R. Iyengar				   [email-masked]
University of Delaware		       http://www.cis.udel.edu/~iyengar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:45:07 -0600

>SCTP. Am I missing something?
We have worked hard to try to get options available to the TCP side to make
it equate to the UDP style... but even at that there is at least one thing
that the UDP style can do that the TCP style can not..

you can do a

send(data,...)
to start an association... this gets it so that you have data bundled
on the cookie-echo.

There were other features that were not accerssable to TCP at one
time.. but as I said we have made ways for a tcp style to use these 
too.. even
though they are harder to use...

Expect to see in the next draft a

send_sctp() of some sort that hopfully makes it easier for both TCP and UDP
to use the API..

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222(cell) or 815-477-2127(office)