Subject: SCTP Fragmentation!!!!

From: "Vijay Kumar Choudhary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:32:49 +0530 (India Standard Time)

Hi All,
   In the SCTP Imp Guide Version 7, it is written that 
   " If an implementation that supports fragmentation makes
   available to its upper layer a mechanism to turn off fragmentation
   it may do so. However in so doing, it MUST react just like an
   implementation that does NOT support fragmentation i.e. it MUST
   reject sends that exceed the current P-MTU. "

How the upper layer can specify whether it wants fragmentation or not ?
(Using which primitive)

Regards,
Vijay

---

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 06:21:35 -0600

>How the upper layer can specify whether it wants fragmentation or not ?
Vijay:

In the sockets-api there is a socket option called:

SCTP_DISABLE_FRAGMENTS

Its in section 7.1.12 of the new sctpsocket-06 spec.. (probably the
same section in any previous version as well.. it has been
there for a while).

It reads:
"
7.1.12 Enable/Disable message fragmentation (SCTP_DISABLE_FRAGMENTS)

   This option is a on/off flag.  If enabled no SCTP message
   fragmentation will be performed.  Instead if a message being sent
   exceeds the current PMTU size, the message will NOT be sent and
   instead a error will be indicated to the user.
"

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222(cell) or 815-477-2127(office)