Subject: SEND_FAILED for fragmented message.

From: Jon Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:07:26 -0500

Randy & all,

	What are other folks doing for a fragmented message that is only 
partially acknowledged.   For example, a message gets fragmented into 5 
chunks and only 3 are acked of the 5, when the association is ABORTed.

	Now if I read the I-D I would assume that the entire message is 
returned back as a single SEND_FAILED notification, but I vaguely recall 
a discussion where either the KAME impl or some other returned the 
message back up in multiple notifications (though I don't recall whether 
all fragments got returned, or just the failed fragments).

	Now, I may be _completely_ misremembering the multiple notifications 
discussion, but I did want to get clarification on what the application 
can expect in this scenario.

BTW, we (Sridhar Samudrala and myself from IBM) are planning to attend 
the the June SCTP InterOp.  Hope to see everyone there that can attend.

Best Regards,
Jon

---

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:55:00 -0500

Jon Grimm wrote:

> partially acknowledged.   For example, a message gets fragmented into 
> 5 chunks and only 3 are acked of the 5, when the association is ABORTed.
>
> returned back as a single SEND_FAILED notification, but I vaguely 
> recall a discussion where either the KAME impl or some other returned 
> the message back up in multiple notifications (though I don't recall 
> whether all fragments got returned, or just the failed fragments).
>
>     Now, I may be _completely_ misremembering the multiple 
> notifications discussion, but I did want to get clarification on what 
> the application can expect in this scenario.
>
Well, the KAME stack gives them to you in chunks... with the bits set in the
flags field so the sending application can re-assemble it if it so 
desires...

I suppose I could have done something diffrerent.. but there are
issues in this.. especially when some are ack'd and others
are not and then its aborted...

And, yes, I will be at the inter-op.. I am also trying to get Ken M to 
show up
and do a bit of IOS-SCTP testing as well :>

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222(cell) or 815-477-2127(office)