Subject: Re: sctp_peeloff()

From: Kacheong Poon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:41:33 -0800

Michael Tuexen wrote:

>> It seems that we are really discussing two different but
>> related issues.  Your point of view is from the protocol
>> level.  But we are talking about an app which tries to
>> do the right thing.  And the question is whether it is
>> useful to provide such an API for those apps to do their
>> jobs.
>>
> What kind of function calls are you thinking about, what
> are the semantic and how will you map this to the protocol
> layer? My point is that you will promise independent receive
> calls which will result in my mapping to the protocol layer
> to a deadlock situation. But possibly there is another way
> map your functions to the protocol.

For example, select() can now work on a per stream basis.
Note that there is no new mapping of functions to the SCTP
protocol.  Right now, one can write a library to export
interface for sending/receiving on a particular stream of
an SCTP association.  My question is very simple.  Should
the OS provide support to the above such that native system
calls on socket can be used on a per stream basis.  This
is the simple question.

-- 

						K. Poon.
						[email-masked]