Subject: Re: sctp_peeloff()

From: Caitlin Bestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:36:07 -0600

On Dec 10, 2003, at 3:13 PM, Michael Tuexen wrote:

>> With RDMA style interfaces the solution to this problem is
>> very simple, streams MUST pre-post sufficient buffers. Failure
>> to do so will result in the stream being reset (which allows
>> the TSN to advance).
> What does reset a stream mean in RFC 2960?

A "stream reset" occurs in the layer above RFC 2960 providing
local API services. The fact that a stream is "reset" means
that all incoming chunks for that stream will be promptly
placed in the bit bucket (for inbound) and no new chunks
may be generated (for outbound). For PR-SCTP associations
it probably also means abandoning any pending outbound chunks.

In socket terms I guess that would mean that the socket
associated with the stream(s) was in an error state.

For the RDDP mapping to SCTP it means that the stream pair
is not associated with an RDMA endpoint: hence all input
is dropped and no output can be generated.

Those semantics could be adopted to any QP/CQ style
interface, whether or not RDMA capabilities were supported.

In any case, the fact that a stream is "reset" would
have no meaning to the software layers dealing with
SCTP itself (as opposed to RDDP and/or sockets).

-- 
Caitlin Bestler - [email-masked] - http://asomi.com/
http://asomi.com/CaitlinBestlerPublicPgpKey.html