Subject: SCTP MIB - sctpAssocDiscontinuityTime

From: David Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:44:57 -0500

Y'all,

Can anyone explain what is the sctpAssocDiscontinuityTime value
in the SCTP MIB?  The explanation in the MIB draft and in
RFC 2578 does not suffice.  Yeh, I know the MIB is being
developed in sigtran, but SCTP implementor's are here.
i.e. How do the SCTP implementor's interpret this value?

-- 

David Lehmann                          Ulticom, Inc.
AOL/Yahoo IM: davidULCM                1020 Briggs Road
1-856-787-2729                         Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054   USA

---

From: "Randall Stewart (cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:56:48 -0600

> i.e. How do the SCTP implementor's interpret this value?
Well..

This is my first look at the MIB in a LONG time :-0 and I would
guess .. just by a brief read.. it would be an indication of
when the last time you reset the SCTP stack???

But its kind of confusing... since it says that it would be 0 if
this event never occured... so does that mean at restart
I set it to '0'... if so great... but then when would it be other
than 0? Since if it is tracking restarts... the only time the SCTP
stack restarts is when the system restarts.. which means it
would have no other idea that the system had ever been up.. and thus
always be 0..

It would make more sense to have how long the system as been up
in this variable... but hey.. I am not much of a mib reader.. and I suppose
I should go study it some day.. I will add it to my reading pile :-0

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
ITD - Transport Technologies
815-477-2127(o) or 815-342-5222(c)