Subject: ABORTing 1-to-many assocs

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:34:31 -0500

Hi

I've been asked if there was a way to abort all the associations
on a 1-to-many style socket.  The only way specified now is to send
MSG_ABORT (changing to SCTP_ABORT).  However, the person asking
the question had the following scenario.

Suppose a service with an endpoint that has multiple associations
should happen to crash.  The preference of this service is to
ABORT all the clients instead of performing a shutdown sequence.
This is currently not possible with 1-to-many API, and rewriting
the service to use 1-to-1 style is not an option.

Would it make sense to extend the SO_LINGER option to apply to
1-to-many style as well? It would affect all association for a given
endpoint.  Individual associations can continue using MSG_ABORT (or
SCTP_ABORT as it will be called).

Thanks
-vlad

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:20:17 -0500

Vlad:

Hmm.. in just taking a peek .. this is how
the KAME stack already behaves.. I.e. if you
set so_linger when you quit it will ABORT all
assoc's.

I don't see any harm in formalizing this.. do others??

R

-- 
Randall Stewart
ITD
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:30:00 +0100

I think it is a good idea to put this explicitly into the ID.

Best regards
Michael