Subject: SCTP API Q: sctp_sendmsg and association id

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:15:55 -0400

Hello all

I was curious why was sctp_sendmsg() defined such that a user can't use
sctp association id instead of the destination address and port?

The current definition of sctp_sendmsg() as defined is sctpsocket draft
does not take association id as an argument, while sctp_recvmsg() can
return it as part of sctp_sndrcvinfo() structure.

I found that when writing cross-platform applications, it is easier to
use the library functions instead of system calls as it makes
portability simpler.  However, I found that this useful feature was
missing.

Additionally, sometimes it is much easier to track and use association
ids what sending and receiving messages instead of the address/port
pairs.  Also, on some implementaions, using association ID improves
performance when using a lot (1000+) associations on a single endpoint.

-vlad

---

From: Sridhar Samudrala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:57:01 -0700 (PDT)

> sctp association id instead of the destination address and port?

It may just be an oversight. I agree that it is useful to have sctp_sendmsg
take associd as an argument.

-Sridhar

--

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:55:06 -0400

Sridhar:

I though that is why we added sctp_send() so that
an assoc-id could be passed..
R

-- 
Randall Stewart
ITD
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222

---

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:07:18 -0400

Opps, my fault... didn't read the latest draft in full...

-vlad