Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] SCTP - Processing of INIT in Established state

From: Kacheong Poon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:34:10 +0800

This thread should probably be discussed in the sctp-impl list
(cc'ed) instead.

Randall Stewart wrote:

> Hmm.. this is an interesting point.. and its NOT a comm-up in this
> case.. but instead a restart notification...  and this
> may be a missing piece in the restart-notification. Since the
> tag will change the assoc-id will too.. the APP right now would
> have to keep track of IP addresses and ports in addition
> to the assoc-id's.. and then when a "restart" comes up figure
> this out..

I think the preferred implementation is to use the same assoc-id
for the restarted association, as this may not be a fatal event
to the app.  Then the app just needs to know that somehow the
association is restarted.  If this is not OK with the app, it
can terminate the association.  If it is OK, it can continue
to use the assoc-id.   Requiring the app to use a new assoc-id
is unnecessary.  Maybe this behavior should be specified in the
SCTP API draft.

> It would not be that hard to add a old_asocid/new_asocid field
> to the restart-notification... that way implementations that
> DO NOT change the assoc-id can just set them to the same.. but
> those that do will save the app a lot of trouble..

-- 

						K. Poon.
						[email-masked]