Subject: Working without sctp_connectx

From: "Hill, Steve" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:53:08 +0100

I'm currently working on a project using SCTP sockets under both Linux
and Solaris 10.  However, the SCTP sockets API specification states that
the sctp_connectx() function is optional and indeed Solaris 10 (and, up
until version 1.0.3 of lksctp-tools, Linux) does not implement this
function.    

Being able to make a multi-homed connection is a fairly important part
of SCTP, but I can find no recommendation on how to do this without the
sctp_connectx() function.  As far as I can make out, there are
possibilities:   

1. Try to connect() each IP address in turn (probably with a very short
timeout) until you succeed.
2. Open a socket for each IP and connect() them all at the same time and
abort all others when one connects.
 
Both of these options seem like a nasty hack - what are other people
doing to work around this problem? 

 - Steve Hill
   Software Engineer
   Modular Communications Platform Division
   Intel
   Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK
   +44-1425-631392
   [email-masked]
   http://www.intel.com/go/ss7

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 19:29:19 +0200

Hi Steve,

see my comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael

> sctp_connectx() function.  As far as I can make out, there are
Just to be sure:
You need the sctp_connectx() function only to make use of the multiple
IP-addresses of your peer *during* the association setup. After setting
it up, you can make use of the multiple IP-addresses of your peer, even
if you use a regular connect() call.
> doing to work around this problem?
We used 1., figured out that it is not elegant and invented  
sctp_connectx...

---

From: Justinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 04:20:29 +0300

how to unsubscribe?