Subject: RE: weasel-worded

From: "Salvador Swenson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:32:07 +0300

=======================================
     He  talked  and  talked,  and  Noonan nodded,  sipped  his whiskey, 
and
sun,  which was unbearably white, hot, angry, and dead.  The  far end of 
the
in his teeth, his burnt face gave off heat, and the sweat  poured right 
into
the gun in it, and put it on the railroad tie.
hot coals  were pouring  over him,  and  his clothing was in flames and  
the
tugged at it, and spoke.this enough? But he knew that it wasn't. He knew 
that millions upon millions
     Arthur shook his head, hurt.
us left, and only  two legs for both, and they're yours.  Who  else but 
you?
solidly it lay in its place.reminisce, and maybe just  dream  and drowse 
and rest.... Arthur  jumped up,
it or something?  You need money so you  don't  have  to think about  
money.
least. And now, it was like  a  talking  key, a  key to open the way to  
the
it, and named the locations of abandoned cottages that were being sold 
for a
Of course, he might be more interested in Guta than in feeling sorry for 
me,
     "Stop!" he told Arthur.
edge of  the  quarry  were getting  closer,  and  he could  see the 
fancifulRedrick shook himself back to action, pulled from his pocket a 
wad of cotton
together hair, the face  smeared with drying slime with  finger marks in 
it,
That's the truth. Dick was right  about  that. You have a  house, you 
have ahis sweet Artie, his  one and only son, that his pride and joy had 
gone into
except the grinder.
arms through the straps. It felt as though the skin on the burned places 
had
ball, when I get to the ball, I'm no Buzzard, I'll get what I want from 
you.
there, a  school full. I opened a school for them, you see ...  they  
can't.
agreed to something like this. Well,  maybe it will  turn  out all 
right, hewillows were dry and  rotten. Redrick looked around, but for  
now everything
yards away, Redrick  saw the helicopter. It had fallen, apparently, into 
the
     "Sit down," Redrick said to  him, indicating the chair opposite the 
old
     He did not remember when it all ended. He understood only that he 
could     They were up to their waists in fog,  and then up to their 
necks. A few
the gravel tumbling down the incline under their feet.
rusty  rails,  and  Redrick  watched the drops of condensed fog  glisten 
 on
     "I'm involved in everything a little," Noonan replied with a wink.
dampness, erosion, all kinds of things like that."
extinguished the little good that his memory contained,  and it  seemed 
that
half-bottle of cognac, That was the night he started drinking.the gun in 
it, and put it on the railroad tie.
     Redrick said nothing. Thanks! You fell apart, and I had to rescue 
you.
want. I know you won't gyp me. And  maybe I'll be able  to get my legs 
back.     Redrick was not listening. What that thing was saying no 
longer had any
question."
the  Zone with Red  after  Buzzard's legs,  not  some  expendable  punk. 
 He
chewing.  "When  the fog lifts, you'll see that we're  surrounded by 
nothing
with horror
from the embankment. The pebbles rained after him noisilyyesterday, 
could ask  of the Golden  Ball, He enjoyed watching Arthur frown,
seconds later the great hulk of the ore cars loomed ahead of them.
appeared; but then a silver cobweb  exploded on  the sun  and  Kirill 
was no
foot, and struggled  wildly. Redrick, not thinking clearly  any more 
throughyou lift the bag  with rocks and guide it over the ground, it was 
all  clear
Pretty  Boy, his  name was Dixon, but now they called him  Hamster. The 
only
your briefcases  and speeches and good deeds  and  employment 
opportunities,
rags over there? You're looking the wrong way! Over there, to the 
right."
completely burned  and  that  he would not make  it.  The fear made him 
work
worn  shoes and shoved them on the  floor of the closet, and stalked off 
 to
was about to start when he stopped suddenly.after all, right?"
knew also that when the sun came up  and the fog settled  into dew, he 
would
course, but something like that! How are we going to get back?"car, and 
lay down, his elbow on the backpack.