Subject: Investigation Report on the CCP�s Foreign Propaganda System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:22:29 +1100

An Investigation Report on the CCP’s Foreign Propaganda System Making 
Ideoloy Infiltration and Spreading Hatred and Lies Among the International 
Communities 

(January 5, 2006) 

Introduction............................................................................................................................................................2 
Background............................................................................................................................................................2 
1. The CCP’s Global Foreign Propaganda Strategy...............................................................................................3 
1.1 Spreading the CCP’s Propaganda Abroad and the International Strategy....................................................4 
1.2 The Officials Who Are in Charge of Foreign Propaganda Tried to Avoid the Word “Propaganda”...........5 
1.3 The Key United Front Objects That Foreign Propaganda Organizations Should Target.............................6 
1.4 Policies on How to Influence Foreign Media through Business Operations................................................7 
1.5 Implementing Spokesperson System to Unify Statement...........................................................................10 
1) Confusing concepts and equating the CCP with China............................................................................11 
2) Information Blockade..............................................................................................................................11 
3) Chinese Communist Regime Instigates People’s Hatred towards Falun Gong and Implements genocide 
policy against Falun Gong...........................................................................................................................12 
4) Creating a False Facade to Avoid International Criticism.......................................................................12 
2. The Expansion of the Chinese Communist Party’s Totalitarian and Dictatorial Ideology to the World.........13 
2.1 The Chinese Communist Party’s Main Overseas Propaganda Media and Their Global Coverage............13 
Xinhua News Agency’s Goal: “Bring the Earth under Its Control”.............................................................13 
China News Agency Is the Main Source of Information for Media in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and 
Overseas Chinese-Language Media..............................................................................................................14 
China Radio International’s (CRI) Programs Cover the World....................................................................14 
CCTV-9 Broadcast Reaches 98% of the Earth’s Surface.............................................................................14 
CCTV-4 Programs Basically Reach the Entire World.................................................................................14 
People’s Daily’s Overseas Edition Is Circulated in Over 80 Countries and Regions..................................14 
China Daily Is Circulated in Over 150 Different Countries and Regions....................................................15 
10% of the Hits on the CCP Central Committee’s Mouthpieces Came from Outside of China..................15 
2.2 Reinforce Overseas Propaganda via Western Media..................................................................................15 
3. Establishing the global ideology united front with a variety of styles and means............................................18 
3.1 Infiltration through radio, film, video, books, magazines and comprehensive cultural exchange 
activities..........................................................................................................................................................................18 
Broadcasting................................................................................................................................................18 
Propaganda toward Foreign Countries via film and video...........................................................................19 
Foreign Propaganda through Publications....................................................................................................19 
Cultural Exchange........................................................................................................................................20 
3.2 To defeat the criticism on human rights by “international anti-China forces,” the Chinese Communist 
Party raises the banner of upholding human rights...........................................................................................22 
3.3 Developing the Internet, Opening up New Channels for Overseas Infiltration..........................................23 
Conclusion...........................................................................................................................................................25 

Introduction 

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has considered the theory of Karl Marx, a native of Germany, as “the 
fundamental guiding ideology for founding the country and the party.”[1] After the CCP seized the power by 
armed force and violence in 1949, under the banner of “progressing” from “private ownership” to “public 
ownership,”[2] it blatantly extorted privately owned money and wealth and quickly brought the entire national 
resource under its control. In addition, the CCP decided to make the so-called “progression” from “private 
ownership” to “public ownership” its fundamental task during its transitional period [3] and had this decision 
written in the first constitution [4] drafted by the CCP. Later on, it put Marxism-Leninism and the CCP’s 
dictators’ wills into the second Chinese Constitution as the “guidance” for the Chinese people of all nationalities, 
[5] and then instilled it to all Chinese people and forced them to betray the great heritage of Chinese traditional 
culture and the traditional morality. During the CCP’s despotic rule of over fifty years, 80,000,000 Chinese 
people have died of unnatural causes. [6] To counteract the international communities’ reactions, the Foreign 
Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee (which is called the Information Office of the State Council 
to the public) was established as the CCP’s highest government body for coordinating its overseas propaganda. 
Its task is to make media outlets responsible for overseas propaganda follow the CCP’s will in their campaign of 
“introducing China to the world,” disseminate the CCP’s ideology abroad, influence the public opinions and 
diplomatic polices of the Western countries, and lead the world media to cater to the CCP’s needs. 

Background 

In the early times, the CCP’s main foreign propaganda channel was its mouthpiece, Xinhua News Agency. In 
December 1955, Mao Zedong, then the head of the CCP, ordered Xinhua News Agency to “bring the Earth 
under its control” and “to send its reporters to the different regions in the world as soon as possible and to 
disseminate its own news.” [7] By that time, the CCP had already shown its ambition of unifying the world with 
its ideology. Based on this goal, the overseas propaganda organs, each of which had “done things in its own 
way,” were brought under the unified leadership of the Foreign Affairs Group of the CCP Central Committee in 
August 1958, and the group leader was Chen Yi, then the Vice Premier of the State Council and the Minister of 
Foreign Affairs. [8] On June 4, 1989, the CCP crushed the students’ democratic movement through military 
force, which resulted in the world-shocking “June 4” Massacre. The CCP was strongly condemned for the 
massacre by the international communities, including the overseas Chinese people. [9] In July of the same year, 
the top leaders of seven countries, including the United States, France, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, Italy, and 
Canada, as well as the Chairman of the European Community held a meeting in Paris, and declared sanctions 
against the CCP; the sanction measures included ceasing the top-level political contacts with China, postponing 
the World Bank loans to China, etc. [10] At that time, the international environment underwent dramatic 
changes: the destruction of Berlin Wall, the fall, in succession, of the communist governments in East Europe 
and of the Soviet Union; in addition, the international human rights movement was at its peak. Under this 
general background, the CCP patriarch leader Deng Xiaoping proposed a foreign policy of “hiding our 
capacities and biding our time, [11] and waiting for the right time to come to make huge accomplishments,” 
aiming at cheating the international communities into lower their guards and executing his strategic plan of 
letting China accumulate forces and then dominate the world later. To foster a “good” image, walk out of the 
predicament, and step up its propaganda and infiltration to foreign countries, the CCP established, in January 
1991, the Information Office of the State Council, as the highest body for coordinating its overseas propaganda 
works. [12] In March 1993, the Information Office of the State Council and the Foreign Propaganda Group of 


CCP Central Committee, which shared one work unit under two nameplates, were listed directly under CCP 
Central Committee and are controlled directly by the Party. [13] In the same year, the Foreign Propaganda 
Group was renamed as Foreign Propaganda Office. [14] All provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities 
that are directly under the Central Government have also set up their own corresponding Foreign Propaganda 
Office (or Information Office). [15] 

In March 1998, the CCP reinstated that the Information Office of the State Council and the Foreign Propaganda 
Office of the CCP Central Committee are still one work unit with two nameplates and are under the direct 
leadership of the CCP Central Committee [16]. In April of the same year, Zhao Qizheng, then Deputy Mayor of 
Shanghai, was promoted to the director of Foreign Propaganda Office [17]. But this office is still called the 
Information Office of the State Council to the public, so as to have an even more strategic ideology infiltration 
through means of providing information, making foreign contacts, helping the spreading of the media, serving 
as a liaison, etc. Besides the Secretary Bureau, which is in charge of documents management and administrative 
affairs, and the Personnel Bureau, which is in charge of personnel management and training for its affiliated 
branches, there are seven other bureaus established directly under this office, [18] and each of the bureaus has 
its own function while sharing the same goal -- to spread the CCP’s intentions abroad. 

In July 20, 1999, the CCP and Jiang Zemin declared their suppression of the populace who believe in “Truth-
Compassion-Tolerance.” Jiang said, “How could it be possible that Marxist theory, the materialism and atheism 
believed by our Communists would not be able to defeat Falun Gong's teachings?” “If indeed that was the case, 
wouldn't it be a big joke?”[19] This time, the CCP learned the lesson of being sanctioned by the international 
communities after the “June 4” Massacre in 1989, and it also put into use its knowledge of torturing people and 
the cruel means that it has accumulated over its history of near one hundred years. In the persecution of Falun 
Gong populace, the CCP has gradually changed from an overt way to a covert way, so the persecution has 
appeared to be even more deceiving to the public. Over the six years, the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP 
Central Committee has been actively following and participating in the persecution; it has used many means, 
such as holding press conferences, having culture exchanges, using internet, radio, and television, publishing 
books and other materials, etc., to spread the lies to the international societies so as to defame Falun Gong, 
incite people to hate Falun Gong, justify the crimes that the CCP has committed against Falun Gong 
practitioners and use various means to make the international communities keep silence in front of the large-
scale, genocidal persecution against people’s belief. 

This report consists mainly of the investigation findings regarding how the Foreign Propaganda Office has used 
various foreign propaganda channels to disseminate its communist despotic ideology and carry out the 
persecution of human rights. 

1. The CCP’s Global Foreign Propaganda Strategy 

The CCP’s foreign propaganda can be considered as a gunpowder-free warfare that is carried out in the new 
international environment. It attacks on the Western democracy initiated by the communist dictatorship. Its goal 
is to first gain supremacy in controlling the ideology and then advancing its material plunder on a larger scale. 
For example, Zhao Qizheng, the director of the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee (or 
the Information Office of the State Council) has considered the CCP’s foreign propaganda as an “undertaking of 
winning over public opinions” and a “struggle.” Zhao said, “During this struggle, [we] need to make best use of 


the favorable opportunities, actively launch the campaign, favorably control the warfare, try to take preemptive 
measures, and try to dominate the overseas media. Our goal is to have the overseas media follow our steps. … 
We need to actively promote China to the United States and other important Western countries so as to guide 
the world media; this needs not only a higher mastery of the art, but also a unified overall strategy. It should be 
even more so that we intentionally allocate our resources to the important regions and countries, make a full 
play of our strengths, focus on important aspects, make unremitting efforts, so as to make breakthroughs in 
those important countries, targets, and media, etc.”[20] 

1.1 Spreading the CCP’s Propaganda Abroad and the International Strategy 

After the “June 4” Massacre in 1989, Jiang Zemin, then the General Secretary of the CCP, said, “Foreign 
propaganda is a work of winning over public opinions,” and “Doing well in foreign propaganda is a work of 
strategic significance to our party and nation.” [21] 

On February 26, 1999, in the CCP’s National Conference of Foreign Propaganda, Jiang Zemin, who appointed 
himself to represent the CCP and the State Council, conveyed the greetings to those involved in the work of 
foreign propaganda, and acknowledged that they have made “good achievements” in helping the CCP foster a 
“good image” and “improve the external environments of public opinion.” He also pointed out that the foreign 
propaganda was “a work of strategic significance, and the CCP Central Committee has always considered it 
very important,” and that it needs to put great effort in promoting the “tremendous achievements” that the CCP 
had made during the fifty years after it came into power; it should “obey and serve the Party’s overall strategy,” 
obey and serve the “overall foreign strategy,” and should definitely “focus its effect on enhancing the 
foreigners’ understanding and supports.”[22] 

In the end of October 1999, before his state visit to France, Jiang Zemin was interviewed by the chief editor 
Alain Peyrefitt of a French newspaper, Le Figaro, for a written report. Jiang took advantage of the opportunity 
and personally proclaimed Falun Gong as an “evil cult,” [23] and thus set the tone for the CCP’s mouthpieces to 
defame Falun Gong. This unified statement is still being used up to now. 

In March 2000, Guo Jingzhe, the Editor-in-Chief of China Radio International, when sharing his anti-Falun 
Gong understandings in the area of foreign propaganda work, said, “Whoever can first let people know the 
important news in the world, will win over more people, and otherwise, will lose the people. The timing effect 
of the news is for sure not just a pure technique issue, but also a political one that is concerned with our 
competing with the Western media for readership and audience. …When reporting China’s exposing and 
denouncing ‘Falun Gong’ to the foreign countries, we (initially) just copied what had been used in China, and 
used some specific technical terms, and as a result, we had great difficulties in letting the foreign people 
understand and accept it. Later, when we clearly pointed out, in our foreign propaganda, that ‘Falun Gong’ was 
an evil cult, the foreign people immediately understood and accepted it. This is helpful to win over the 
international public opinion…” [24] 

In January 25, 2000, the national conference of foreign propaganda was held in Beijing. In the conference, the 
director of Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee and Information Office of the State 
Council, Zhao Qizheng gave a summary talk. He required attendees to “actively express China’s opinions, 
according to the changes in the international public opinion. The personnel in the field of foreign propaganda 


need to do more research, make plans, explore and learn the rules; and improve the efficiency to do better job.” 
The officials from all over the country, who are in charge of foreign propaganda in their respective regions, the 
officials and spokesmen from the CCP Central Committee and other offices under the state council, and some 
officials from Chinese embassies and consulates attended the conference. [25] 

In January 13 ~ 15, 2001, the national conference of foreign propaganda was held in Beijing. In the conference, 
the director of Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee and Information Office of the State 
Council, Zhao Qizheng emphasized that “(we should) create a favorable international atmosphere for public 
opinion, according to Jiang Zemin and CCP Central Committee’s requirement on foreign propaganda.” [26] 

In 2003, the deputy chief editor of Xinhua News Agency, Xia Lin said in an article titled “the power of the 
mouthpiece” that “information is a kind of strategic resource. Whoever has the control of information 
source and media—international radio, satellite TV and internet, will have the power to influence the 
whole society, and is able to take over the dominant and preemptive position in the battle of ideology.” 
[27] 

In 2004, in a speech at China Foreign Affairs University, the director of Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP 
Central Committee, Zhao Qizheng also mentioned the issue of “taking over the dominant and preemptive 
position.” He said, “Media reports may not be 100% objective.” “Whoever has the dominant position in 
reporting, will get the support and understanding from the international community and the public, therefore 
will have the preemptive opportunities.” “The so-called dominant position means to have others believe in your 
opinion and news. The propaganda as a strategic weapon in the fields of politics, foreign affairs, economy and 
commerce has been used by every country and played an important role in history.” [28] In May 2004, in a 
speech at Tsinghua University, Zhao Qizheng said that “Global propaganda” is one of the overall tasks in 
CCP’s strategic view. It is the “soft power” and “an important component of our nation’s composite 
power.”[29] 

On September 2, 2004, in the celebration of 60th anniversary of Xinhua News Agency Launching International 
English Broadcasting, the head of the Propaganda Department of the CCP Central Committee, Liu Yunshan 
required Xinhua News Agency to “focus on the task of making itself accepted and referred by the media in the 
countries and regions who have important influence on international public opinions and play important roles in 
international community” and “do research on and make plans for each country and area one by one.” He 
also required Xinhua News Agency to strengthen contacts with mainstream media in foreign countries and try its 
best to “enlarge the global coverage”; “expand our occupation on the battlefield of international public 
opinion;” when reporting the hot issues and important events inside and outside China, Xinhua News 
Agency needs to “be in the leading position, preoccupy people’s view, and take the initiative of 
influencing and leading the international public opinion.”[30] 

1.2 The Officials Who Are in Charge of Foreign Propaganda Tried to Avoid the Word 
“Propaganda” 

In 2004, the research group of “Research on efficient foreign propaganda” of Xinhua News Agency claimed that 
“The media outlets in charge of foreign propaganda can do many things in the struggle with foreign public 
opinion regarding the sensitive issues such as human rights, Taiwan, Tibet, Xinjiang, the argument that China is 


a global threat and the issue of Falun Gong, but we must conduct things according to the rules of information 
dissemination, and need to pay attention to the art and strategy of propaganda.” [31] 

In the same year, Zhao Qizheng talked about how he “introduces China to the world” in a speech at China 
Foreign Affairs University. He said “when people asked me what task we have in the future, my reply was to 
‘introduce China to the world’. I didn’t use the word ‘propaganda,’ because it could well be a derogatory term. 
What we need to introduce to the world? It’s to explain China’s policy, to counter attack on China. It is as 
simple as that. We have a variety of (propaganda) methods to choose from.”[32] 

In July 2005, the deputy director of the Information Office of the State Council, Qian Xiaoqian [33] was 
interviewed by reporters from Hong Kong Wenweipo. He mentioned that he doesn’t use the word “propaganda” 
in the work of Tibetan issue, of which he is in charge. Instead, he uses “Introduce Tibet, Introduce China” to 
explain Tibetan issues, and he thought by using the word “introduce” the propaganda effect is “the most 
powerful and most convincing.”[34] 

Out of the same concern, in Chinese official documents, the English translation for the propaganda department 
was changed from “Propaganda Department of the CCP Central Committee” to “Department of Publicity;” and 
for the same reason, “International Communication Office of the CCP Central Committee” became the official 
translation to replace “Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee.” 

1.3 The Key United Front Objects That Foreign Propaganda Organizations Should Target 

The research group of “the research on efficient foreign propaganda” of Xinhua News Agency believes “The 
main targets of foreign propaganda should be the middle and upper class in the target countries, 
including politicians, people in business circles and intellectuals because they control either the political 
or the economic power and have the influence on the ideology and public opinion of those countries. Our 
media outlets responsible for foreign propaganda should focus on the mainstream media in the target countries. 
Based on our own features and characteristics, we should enhance the communications and collaboration with 
them. Especially, we should make friends with the famous people in foreign media. We should have 
intimate relationship with them, and do well the work of foreign propaganda with their help.” [35] 

“Moreover, overseas Chinese and Chinese students studying abroad are another group of people deserving 
attention from overseas propaganda departments… Presently, there are over tens of millions of overseas 
Chinese and Chinese students studying abroad; many of them have become part of the mainstream society, 
sometimes even quite influential elites. Foreigners generally learn about China through overseas Chinese. 
Therefore, overseas Chinese bridge China and the outside world in a unique manner.” [35] 

In the speech at China Foreign Affairs University, the director of Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central 
Committee, Zhao Qizheng claimed, “We also have communication with foreign media. We have very close 
relationship, not only with the big guys like Ted Turner, but also with Associated Press, Agence France-Presse, 
Reuters, the biggest publishing house in France, Bertelsmann company—the biggest publishing house in the 
world.” Zhao Qizheng also gave an example to show how he convinced Ted Turner, the founder of CNN to take 
off the footage of a young man standing in front of a group of tanks and trying to stop them from advancing in 
the Tiananmen Massacre event, which CNN had been using as news header with other footage. Zhao said, 


“Turner asked me ‘Is CNN good?’ and I answered ‘no.’ Then he asked why. I said ‘in the beginning of your 
hourly news, there are a lot of footage of important international political events, and in one of them, a Chinese 
young man stood in front of tanks during the Tiananmen square event. You have been showing this footage for 
10 years.’ He said, ‘not just us. All TV stations broadcast the footage this way.’ I said, ‘it is just you. Other 
people stopped long time ago.’ He, then, said to the manager of department of international news who was next 
to him, ‘Why are you still showing this footage? There are similar events in America, too. You will see how I 
will punish you.’ Then I said ‘sentence him to death penalty with a reprieve and let him correct himself.’ At that 
time, I thought that Turner was joking, but later I heard that he really punished that manager and also deleted 
that footage.” [32] 

China News Service, which is the national news press in China in charge of the foreign propaganda, organized 
“World Chinese Media Forum” in Nanjing between September 16 and September 18 in 2001. It is said that 150 
high-ranking officials and 130 overseas Chinese media outlets from more than 30 countries and regions 
attended the conference. There were also over 60 Chinese media outlets inside China attending the conference. 
The officials, who are in charge of propaganda and “unified front” at each level of CCP, attended the 
conference and gave speeches. The topics of the forum included “What role overseas Chinese media should 
play and how they should position themselves?” “How can overseas Chinese media and the media in China 
enhance the communication between each other?” etc. The attendee discussed intensively and gave 
suggestions on the propaganda strategy about how to create a favorable international public opinion 
under the lead of CCP’s ideology. [36]

In 2003, the deputy head of the Unified Front Department of Huizhou City CCP Committee in Guangdong 
Province, Huang Qiongji said, “We need to take full advantage of being next to Hong Kong and Macao 
geographically, and enhance the connections with media in Hong Kong and Macao. We need to do better to 
make friends with the middle and upper class people in those media, and strengthen our effort in reforming 
them. We should focus on the communication with “four newspapers and two journals” in Hong Kong and 
Macao. We need to build up the good connections with the mainstream media.” Also, he asked to enhance the 
“unified front” and propaganda work to the foreign visitors. He said, “More and more foreigners will come to 
China for business or tour. We need to organize more activities to make friends with foreign investors, experts 
and foreign students studying in China.” [37] 

1.4 Policies on How to Influence Foreign Media through Business Operations 

Huang Qiongji, head of Department of Unified Front of the Huizhou City CCP Committee, advocates, 
“maximize effort to incorporate the unified front and foreign propaganda work into mainstream Western 
society…incorporate unified front and foreign propaganda work into economic exchanges; at the same 
time we should strengthen our contact with foreign media, especially the communication with the 
mainstream media in the US and the industrial groups of seven Western countries, pay attention to 
keeping up friendly relations with foreign media personnel stationed in China and having a deep 
friendship with them; sponsor some friendship-promoting activities in an organized manner…and 
through them create a front for overseas propaganda and expand the sphere of unified front and 
overseas propaganda work.” [37] 


On September 23, 2003, during the 2nd International Chinese Media Forum, Liu Zepeng, head of China News 
Service gave good publicity of the policy of “borrowing a boat to go overseas,” which was, by having media 
inside China directly provide a special edition for overseas Chinese newspapers, disseminate China’s 
propaganda to foreign countries. He claimed that, “Right now, foreign media are vying for a spot in the 
Mainland China market, and they have enjoyed tremendous success,” and he further enticed that, “overseas 
Chinese media should take advantage of this situation and seize the opportunity…take advantage of your 
geographic affinity and seek development and business opportunities for your media while helping the 
Mainland Chinese media enter the world.” [38] 

Wu Yurong [39] a Ph.D. graduate of the “scientific socialism” from the Party School of the CCP Central 
Committee proposed in 2002, “overseas media, especially some transnational media corporations are in fact 
commercial institutions, and their ultimate goal is to make money. That being the case, we can restrict and 
influence overseas mainstream media through commercial regulations, for example, by adjusting business 
relationship with western media corporations, limiting or approving these corporations’ business activities 
in China or buying their stock to influence the decision makers of these corporations.” Wu Yurong also 
listed some examples of success, “During the mid 1990s, we made News Corp. end its anti-China BBC 
‘World TV’ programs by allowing it to develop satellite TV in China; and by restricting “Disney” 
commercial activities we effectively suppressed Disney’s participation in the production of programs 
aiming at secession of Tibet.”[40] 

In 1993, Rupert Murdoch, board chairman of News Corp. bought 63.6% shares of Star TV stock with 525 
million USD (he bought the rest of the stock in 1995) [41]. Soon after that, he announced, “Star TV has 
constituted an unambiguous threat to totalitarian regimes in the world.” Within weeks after he made the speech 
[42], on October 5, 1993, China’s State Council published “Provisions on the Administration of Ground 
Receiving Facilities for Satellite Television Transmissions,” which stated, “individuals are not allowed to install 
or use satellite ground receiving equipments,” “local TV stations, cable TV channels and broadcast stations are 
all prohibited from transmitting overseas satellite TV programs.” [43] 

In order to gain more market share in Mainland China, Murdoch changed his standing and tried to be in the 
CCP’s good graces. First, he firmly ousted BBC, which angered the CCP for broadcasting documentaries on the 
human rights condition in China [44]; on March 25, 1996, Star TV, 100% owned by News Corp., founded 
Phoenix Satellite Television Holdings Ltd. along with two Chinese companies. [45] The two Chinese 
companies are Today’s Asia Ltd. and Huaying International Corporation Ltd. Both are under the 
management of formal high ranking official of the Central People’s Broadcasting Station, Liu Changle 
[46] (who is currently the chair of Board of Directors for Phoenix Satellite TV). Phoenix Satellite TV began 
broadcasting on August 28, 1998. 

On August 21, 1999, the Chinese News & Entertainment Channel (CNE), the London-based European 
broadcasting service of Phoenix Satellite TV began broadcasting officially in Europe, with coverage of 25 
European countries. 

On January 1, 2001, Phoenix InfoNews Channel and Phoenix North America Chinese Channel were officially 
launched. Phoenix Satellite TV successfully landed in the US, for which the CCP media claimed that “it 
marks that Phoenix Satellite TV has, to a significant extent, covered the whole globe.” [47] 



In March 2001, James Murdoch, chief executive of News Corp., son of Rupert Murdoch slanderously called 
Falun Gong “a dangerous and apocalyptic cult” during a business conference in Los Angeles, USA. He also 
accused some Western media and Hong Kong media for being enthusiastic about making negative reports on 
China. [48] After the news got out, many CCP media including the Legal Daily [48], the Jiefang Daily, 
People’s Net [49], and Xinlu Net (China News Net) [50] quickly followed it up and publicized his statement. 
However, according to a VOA report, “Some human rights activists think that James Murdoch said these things 
to please the Chinese government.” [51] 

On March 28, 2002, Star TV under Star Group Limited [52] solely owned by News Corp. was allowed to 
broadcast on Guangdong cable TV network. This is the first time the Chinese government allowed a foreign TV 
channel to broadcast via Chinese cable TV network. The condition is that News Corp. assists CCTV-9 to 
land in the US and Europe. Rupert Murdoch said it’s “a milestone for the development of News Corp. in 
China” and “the beginning of greater success in China.” [53] News Corp. also stated in its statement that Xu 
Guangchun, director-general of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) pointed out 
that News Corp. should have greater opportunities to grow in China, which is “encouraging.” [54] 

The CCP official reports said, “The secret of success for News Corp. is to seek common points with the Chinese 
government and build a trusting relationship through long-term collaboration.” [53] 

Between October 7 and 11, 2003, Rupert Murdoch and others from News Corp. were invited by the Foreign 
Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee (Information Office of the State Council) to visit China. On 
October 8, Rupert Murdoch was invited by Zeng Qinghong [55], principal of the Party School of the CCP 
Central Committee to “give a speech to high-ranking CCP officials in charge of ideological affairs.” 
Professor Yu Guoming from the School of Journalism, People’s University of China described Murdoch’s 
speech as “compiled through painstaking efforts and filled with flattering words,” from which he could “deeply 
sense” the speaker’s “desire and anxiety” to enter the Chinese media market. “Aside from Murdoch’s attempt to 
seek material gains,” however, “many arguments in the speech are poignant and accurate, and they are 
especially inspiring for us to understand the true value of the media industry.” [56] On October 9, Li 
Changchun, a member of the Politburo Standing Committee in charge of propaganda met with Rupert Murdoch, 
board chairman and executive of News Corp. and his group at the People’s Great Hall. Li Changchun expressed 
his hope that News Corp. “will make greater effort to help the world learn about China and China about the 
world.” [57] 

One year later, on October 28, 2004, the SABFT and the Ministry of Commerce jointly published Decree No. 
44, [58] Provisional Rules for Administration of Joint Ventures and Cooperative Enterprises of China and 
Foreign Countries Producing and Operating Radio and TV Programs, which took effect on November 28 the 
same year. The Rules include “enterprises solely owned by foreign venture for making and operating TV 
broadcasting programs are not permitted,” “the legal representative must be appointed by the Chinese 
partner,” “the Chinese partner must own no less than 51% of the total stock in a joint venture,” “joint 
venture enterprises must not make programs on current affairs and political news or similar special 
feature programs or special column programs,” among other strict rules. 


On March 4, 2005, the SABFT issued a “Notice on Administering Decree No. 44,” [59] which emphasized that 
the production of TV programs has a strong “ideological nature,” and [the government] must be “in control of 
the content,” be aware of the political inclination and background of the foreign partner to prevent “unhealthy 
foreign ideology and culture from entering the field of program making in the form of joint-venture.” The CCP 
media soon released news, stating, “This means Sony, Viacom, News Corp. and other foreign film and TV 
moguls that have already had joint-venture plans in place in China will not be able to expand their film and TV 
making business within a short period of time.” [60] 

On July 13, 2005, Tian Jin [61], deputy head of SABFT emphasized during a national overseas work meeting, 
“To intensify and strengthen radio, film and television propaganda overseas is the critical requirement to oppose 
(combat) westernization, separation, infiltration; safeguard state security, strengthen the defense system on the 
battle ground of public opinion control…the CCP Central Committee and the State Council have always paid 
close attention to the administration of overseas satellite TV. The Central Committee leaders have given 
numerous important instructions…We must ensure all satellite TV signals in the jurisdiction area from 
permitted foreign sources come from the central monitoring platform. This is an inflexible yet simple and 
clear standard for judging the administration level of various film and TV departments on their control over 
foreign satellites.” [62] 

In August 2005, Beijing officially cancelled its plan to allow Murdoch’s News Corp. to expand its broadcasting 
in various parts of China. [63] On September 19, Bloomberg.com published an article “Murdoch Says News 
Corp. Has Hit ‘Brick Wall’ in China,” which mentioned that during a New York meeting organized by former 
US president Clinton, Murdoch admitted that New Corp.’s plan to enter Chinese market was in trouble. He also 
mentioned that the CCP authorities made promises before but again shut their doors on foreign media 
corporations. It seems Murdoch has yet to understand that the CCP always wants to unify the world with 
communist ideology and “bring the earth under its control;” [7] it will only try to “expand its occupation on the 
battlefield of international public opinion,” [30] and there is no way that the CCP will ever give away the media 
front. 

The true lesson News Corp. has learned is just as the Economist reported, “a decade spent investing time and 
money to build relationships in China seems to have done Mr. Murdoch little good. Having milked Star 
TV for its technical expertise, the Chinese [the CCP regime] may well feel they no longer need him.”[64]

1.5 Implementing Spokesperson System to Unify Statement 

Since 1993, the Foreign Propaganda Office (the Information Office of the State Council) has been in charge of 
the press release of the State Council and the coordination of press spokespersons from different departments of 
the State Council. On December 28, 2004, Zhao Qizheng, head of the Foreign Propaganda Office officially 
announced that the three-tier news release and spokesperson system had basically been established in the 
Chinese government. It refers to the news release and spokesperson system of the three tiers, which are the State 
Council Information Office, various departments of the State Council and the provincial governments. [65] 

Obviously, the CCP set up the press spokesperson system in order to, through press release, more effectively 
give unified statements in their propaganda, cover up human rights abuses, fabricate lies, instigate hatred, and at 
the same time block any information detrimental to the CCP “good” image. 



1) Confusing concepts and equating the CCP with China 

Spokespersons for Chinese embassies and consulates abroad have long been twisting facts and confusing right 
and wrong. Whenever there are people criticizing China’s human rights situation and condemning the brutality 
of the CCP, they would slanderously accuse them of being “anti-China” forces. Here are two examples: 

Case 1: On January 16, 2001, Professor Zhang Kunlun, who holds dual citizenship of Canada and China, said 
during an interview with Canada TV that he returned to China to teach in April 1996. [66] After July 20, 1999, 
he was arrested many times and cruelly tortured because he practiced Falun Gong. Chinese police officers 
shocked him with high-voltage electric batons. Zhang Kunlun said, “One police officer with the surname of 
Zhang said, ‘If you practice Falun Gong, we don’t have to take any responsibility for you. If you are beaten to 
death, we can tell the public that you have committed suicide.’” Zhang Kunlun was forced to attend 
brainwashing classes and write repentance statements to renounce his belief. He was also extorted 10,000 RMB 
Yuan. [67] Two days later, the spokesperson for the Chinese consulate in Canada attacked Zhang Kunlun’s 
press conference and slanderously accused the Canadian government, NGOs, the Canadian people and the 
international community that showed support to Professor Zhang of “stirring up a new wave of anti-China 
campaign and damaging the relationship between China and Canada.” [68] 

Case 2: On January 28, 2005, the press spokesperson for the Chinese Embassy to Australia made a speech, in 
which he called the Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party “anti-China articles.” The Nine Commentaries 
expose how the Communist Party has brutalized the Chinese people and destroyed Chinese culture during its 
56-year rule; he also labeled Falun Gong practitioners’ efforts in clarifying the truth and exposing the genocidal 
persecution of belief by the CCP as “instigative anti-China activities;” he slanderously called Falun Gong, “a 
counter-revolutionary organization engaging in political activities against China.” [69] 

2) Information Blockade 

On March 11, 2004, Bureau of Justice of Anhui Province issued Document No.21 to the Justice Bureau in every 
city in Anhui Province. Document No. 21 was titled “Instruction on reinforcing the propaganda work related to 
Anhui Province’s justice and administrative system.” It was emphasized in this document that “the judiciary 
organizations of all levels must strictly follow the requirements of the Foreign Propaganda Office of the 
CCP Central Committee and the Information Office of the State Council when it comes to reporting 
unexpected domestic incidents towards outside of China. You must take the initiative to report the 
unexpected incidents to your local CCP Committee, the local government’s propaganda department and 
your superior judiciary and administrative organizations right away. Then you must ask for and follow 
their instructions on how to report these incidents. As a rule of thumb, you do not publicly report any 
unexpected incidents occurring within any judiciary or administrative system, mainly including major 
accidents at production plants, judiciary or human rights issues, the situation of critical prisoners and 
‘Falun Gong,’ etc.” [70] 

On June 27, 2005, the Propaganda Department of the CCP Committee at North China Electric Power University 
issued a memo titled, “the regulations of reporting unexpected incidents occurring at North China Electric 
University.” Three regulations are specified in the memo; “First, based on the verified instructions on our news 


reporting and the school leaders’ orders, we have created news reporting regulations and started to closely 
watch and manipulate the public opinions inside and outside the campus. Second, every news broadcast script 
must be reviewed and approved by the university CCP Standing Committee or by the university’s leaders before 
it can be broadcasted. Third, without the approval of the university’s management level, the following 
unexpected incidents must not be reported, e.g. incidents that involve foreign embassies and consulates in China, 
foreign diplomats, foreign students; incidents that involve Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan; major incidents that 
involve Chinese ethic groups, religion, human rights or “Falun Gong;” and group incidents that involve ‘illegal 
rallies,’ student movements, riots or other types of group incidents.” [71] 

3) Chinese Communist Regime Instigates People’s Hatred towards Falun Gong and Implements genocide 
policy against Falun Gong 

In order to justify its ruthless persecution against Falun Gong, Chinese Communist Regime has to instigate 
people’s hatred towards Falun Gong by making vicious lies to vilify Falun Gong. The following example is a 
good illustration of one of CCP’s many forms of hate propaganda: After 263 Falun Gong practitioners have 
been verified to have been persecuted to death in China, Falun Gong practitioners in San Francisco started a 
peaceful appeal on August 18, 2001 in front of the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco for 263 consecutive 
hours to urge China to end its ruthless persecution and to urge the world’s help to rescue those Falun Gong 
practitioners under illegal custody and under the threat of death. [72] On August 27, 2005, the spokesman for 
the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco made a public speech to convey their rage towards Falun Gong 
practitioners’ public appeal. Moreover, he made false accusations that Falun Gong has caused 1,700 of its 
practitioners to die and caused countless families to fall apart.” [73] 

On July 22, 2002, Mr. Xie Feng, the China news spokesperson in the U.S. urged the international society to 
“condemn,” “stop,” and “eradicate” Falun Gong. [74] 

4) Creating a False Facade to Avoid International Criticism 

On March 30, 2004, Information Office of the State Council published a white paper titled, “China’s Human 
Rights Improvements in 2003.” It says, “The local people’s governments of all levels nationwide have started to 
have or improve their news spokesperson system so as to improve the Chinese people right to know the truth, to 
supervise the government and to participate in public affairs.” [75] But the truth is that the truth about China’s 
June 4 Massacre of College Students at Tiananmen Square in 1989 or the truth about CCP regime’s persecution 
against Falun Gong has never once been reported in any media in China as a result of the CCP’s persistent 
control of all news reports. When a dictatorial regime tries to perfect its news spokesperson system, it has only 
one purpose --- to tighten its grip on information and speech. Since 1991, Information Office of the State 
Council has published eight white papers on China’s human rights conditions in an attempt to build a false 
impression to avoid international condemnations on its long lists of human rights violations. [76] 

According to the news report by Xinhua Net, the CCP’s official mouthpiece, on March 30, 2005 about People’s 
Daily interview with Mr. Zhao Qizheng. Zhao said, “Every month mainstream Chinese and western media 
outlets receive several invitations from China’s State Council to press conferences in China. Almost all the 
issues they are concerned about, such as Taiwan issue and macroscopic economy in China, are covered by these 
press conferences.” [77] In a reply to the question raised by a China Net reporter, Mr. Zhao said, “AP’s top 


reporter in Beijing told me that the contents from the State Council’s press conference are all their headlines 
news.” [78] 

2. The Expansion of the Chinese Communist Party’s Totalitarian and Dictatorial 
Ideology to the World 

According to the news report by China Guangzhou Net on August 26, 2005, “For the past few years, the CCP 
and our country have been emphasizing overseas propaganda’s positive effects on opening up our market, 
winning the international battle against antagonist forces, and winning the diplomatic battles. The Central-level 
overseas propaganda newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations and news agencies alone cost 
about several billions RMB Yuan every year (1 USD . 8.2 RMB Yuan). All the provinces, cities and 
autonomous regions have also started to pour more manpower, resources and money into reinforcing their 
overseas propaganda.” [79] 

The CCP’s main overseas propaganda media include Xinhua News Agency, China Radio International, the 
Chinese Central Television’s international Chinese channel (CCTV-4), the international English channel 
(CCTV-9), China News Service and People’s Daily’s overseas edition. Allegedly, “the Central-level media 
websites have become increasingly influential. They have become an important force of overseas propaganda.” 
[80] Meanwhile, the United Nation has included the news released by Xinhua News Agency as one of its main 
sources of reference materials.” [81] 

The CCP has secretly weaved an extremely huge “network” in front of people’s eyes both inside and outside of 
China, through their effort of “hide one's capacities and bide one's time”[11] in over a dozen years, the CCP’s 
ideology is now expanding and infiltrating to the outside world through this “network.” 

2.1 The Chinese Communist Party’s Main Overseas Propaganda Media and Their Global 
Coverage 

Xinhua News Agency’s Goal: “Bring the Earth under Its Control” 

As of the end of 2002, Xinhua News Agency’s news reports supplied over 140 countries and regions and had 
about 5,000 overseas subscribing households. Some overseas mainstream media outlets are among its 
subscribers. They include the U.S.A. Today (U.S.) and Science magazine (U.S.), France’s Le Figaro (France) 
and Paris Match (France), BBC (U.K.) and Daily Telegraph (U.K.) and Pyramid newspaper (Egypt). 

Xinhua News Agency claimed, “Xinhua News Agency’s articles and photographs are transcribed about 1,000 
times in overseas media daily.” “Half of the news reported from AP, AFP and Reuters’ China branch offices are 
transcribed from or are based on Xinhua New Agency’s reports. The majority of overseas Chinese newspapers 
are subscribers of Xinhua News Agency.” “Xinhua News Agency’s reports are an important source of 
information for foreign media’s branch offices in China, as well as overseas journalists stationed in China.” [82] 

According to Mr. Tang Runhua, Head of Xinhua News Agency’s Research Institute, “In order to enhance the 
effectiveness of our overseas propaganda, Xinhua News Agency established a strategy to use domestic news 


reports in our main overseas propaganda. In 2004, 72% of our English reports were transcribed by foreign 
media and among them, 79% were China news report.” [83] 

China News Agency Is the Main Source of Information for Media in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and 
Overseas Chinese-Language Media 

Since the beginning of the 21st century, China News Service has become a main source of information for 
media in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and overseas Chinese-language media. According to the CCP’s official 
statistics, over 400 media outlets in over 20 countries and regions transcribe news reports by China News 
Agency as of the end of 2002. [80] 

China Radio International’s (CRI) Programs Cover the World 

China Radio International (CRI) is broadcasted around the world in 42 different languages for total 211 hours 
daily. CRI has at least 27 reporter stations around the world. It has contracts with local radio stations or rents 
hours at local radio stations in more than ten different countries. In addition, it has formed partnerships with 
radio stations and TV stations in many countries and regions around the world to which it sends over programs 
for broadcasting. [84] 

CCTV-9 Broadcast Reaches 98% of the Earth’s Surface 

CCTV-9, CCP’s English mouthpiece, targets English-speaking audiences around the world. Its signals, after 
digital compression, is broadcasted through PanAm Satellite (PAS) 8, 9, 10 and AsiaSat 2 and 3S over the land 
and ocean in Asia, Australia, Africa, America, Europe, west Pacific Ocean and Middle East. It is then 
broadcasted through many different forms of partnership with cable TV stations in countries in these regions. 
[84] For example, CCTV-9 formed a partnership with News Corp. to have its programs broadcasted in its Fox 
Cable Network and Time Warner Cable Network in the U.S. [80] 

CCTV-4 Programs Basically Reach the Entire World 

CCTV-4, a Chinese-language TV channel, targets overseas Chinese and residents in Hong Kong, Macao and 
Taiwan. It broadcasts news programs around the clock. Its signals, after being digitally compressed, are 
broadcasted through many satellites. Basically, CCTV-4 has achieved its goal of reaching almost the entire 
globe through transmitted satellite signal and its primary target regions through the directly broadcast satellite 
signal. [85] 

People’s Daily’s Overseas Edition Is Circulated in Over 80 Countries and Regions 

People’s Daily’s overseas edition is the CCP Central Committee’s official newspaper. [86] It is one of the five 
CCP’s main media for overseas propaganda. [87] Its target readers are overseas Chinese students and scholars, 
overseas Chinese and residents in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Besides China, it is also printed in New 
York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Toronto, Sydney, Jakarta, Surabaya, etc. It is distributed in 
over 80 countries and regions around the world. [78] 


China Daily Is Circulated in Over 150 Different Countries and Regions 

China Daily is China’s first nationwide English newspaper. Its target readers in China are foreigners staying in 
China, e.g. foreign diplomats in China, foreign business corporations in China, foreign news agencies’ offices in 
China, foreign scholars and experts working in China and foreign tourists visiting China. Its target readers 
outside of China are government officials, scholars conducting research on issues regarding China, business and 
trade organizations and college libraries. In New York, London and Hong Kong, it publishes its North America 
version, European version and Hong Kong version, respectively. It is circulated in over 150 countries and 
regions around the world.[88] 

10% of the Hits on the CCP Central Committee’s Mouthpieces Came from Outside of China 

People’s Daily, Xinhua News Agency, China Radio International, China Daily, China Internet News Center and 
CCTV publish or broadcast news reports in many different languages. 10% of the hits on their websites came 
from outside of China. [80] 

2.2 Reinforce Overseas Propaganda via Western Media 

At the same time when Chinese Communist regime strengthened its overseas propaganda via its mouthpieces, 
in order to control foreign journalists in China to ensure that their reports do not go beyond the scope of the 
CCP’s regulation, China’s State Council issued Document No. 47 as early as January 19, 1990 – “Regulation 
stipulations on Foreign Journalists and Foreign Media Outlets in China.” It was specified in this regulation that 
“Foreign journalists must get approval from foreign affairs departments, foreign affairs offices in governments 
at provincial, municipal and regional levels, prior to their planned interview with governmental departments or 
other work units, regions adopting ‘open-up’ policy or regions not yet opened up. Violation of the regulation 
will result in punishment of the responsible person(s) by Chinese public security organs based on the 
seriousness of the violation.” [89] Correspondingly, Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee 
established Bureau One, which was, Information Bureau “to provide service for foreign journalists for 
interviews inside China” at the same time. [18] Let’s take a look at how Chinese Communist regime provide 
such “service” for foreign journalists through the following examples. 

After the outbreak of SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) in November 2002 in Guangdong Province, the 
Chinese Communist regime tried its best to cover up the real situation of the epidemic; as a result, China lost 
the opportunity to take precautions and preventions against SARS. In March of the same year, SARS spread to 
different countries via Hong Kong. [90] On April 6, Pekka Aro, an International Labour Organisation official, 
died from SARS in Beijing. However, three days before his death, Minister of Public Health, Zhang Wenkang 
stressed again and again that “it is safe to work in China, to live in China and to travel in China.”[91] On April 
8, Dr. Jiang Yanyong, a surgeon of the military hospital, 301 Hospital, wrote to the U.S. journal TIME to expose 
the fact that China’s Ministry of Public Health was covering up the true situation of SARS, cheating the public 
and international society. [92] On the next day, Mr. Jiang became the main focus of global media. Phone calls 
came in one after another from AP, Deutsche Presse Agentur and Agence France Press, trying to arrange an 
interview with Mr. Jiang. In the evening of that day, officials of 301 Hospital personally talked to Mr. Jiang and 
reminded him, “You cannot accept interviews by overseas journalists, as this is the rule set for military 
personnel.” [93] 



On April 10, WHO publicly criticized Beijing’s epidemic reporting policy: “In Beijing, only a few hospitals 
report SARS cases on a daily basis. The tracking system is problematic. It will lead to the spreading of the 
disease.” [94] 

On May 7, three journalists of TIME who learned that Ministry of Public Health of China and SARA Prevention 
and Treatment Teamwork Group of WHO would investigate in Hebei Province in mid-May, went to Guancun 
Town of Gu’an County in Langfang City, Hebei Province to interview local peasants and took pictures. As soon 
as Bureau of Foreign Propaganda of Langfang City heard it, officials from the bureau rushed to Langfang City 
and “rejected their interview” with the excuse that these journalists “didn’t go through due procedures.” In the 
morning of May 8, two journalists of a Swiss newspaper arrived at rural area of Zhuozhou City directly from 
Beijing, the staff of local foreign affairs department in Zhuozhou City, after being informed, followed them for 
two hours and eventually terminated their interview activities. [95] 

On May 21, Party Secretary of Hebei Provincial CCP Committee, Bai Keming received a report on “Foreign 
Journalists Violates Regulations and Goes to Hebei Province to Interview.” He called Zhao Qizheng, director of 
the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee. He expressed his viewpoints in this matter, “We 
may loosen our restrictions and allow foreign journalists to come to Hebei Province for interviews. We may 
show them the places they are allowed to see and let them report on how local officials help to prevent and treat 
SARS.” The Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee then passed the words to Department of 
Propaganda of Hebei Province CCP Committee. According to Xiang Jinke [96], vice head of Propaganda 
Department of Hebei Province CCP Committee and Director of Information Office of Hebei Provincial 
Government, “With the direct support from the Bureau One of the CCP Committee Propaganda Office of CCP 
Central Committee, we made immediate plans to invite foreign journalists to come to Hebei Province and 
conduct interviews on how we prevent and treat SARS in our province and our detailed treatment plans. The 
Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee helped us invite fairly influential foreign media such as 
Associated Press Television News of the U.S., Reuters, Agence France Press and Asahi Shimbun of Japan… In 
addition, Foreign Propaganda Office arranged journalists from Xinhua News Agency, China News Service, 
CCTV and China Radio International to come along with foreign journalists. They took pictures for future 
reference.” The place of the interview was designated to be Baoding City, because “In mid-May, Department of 
Public Health of China and SARA Prevention and Treatment Teamwork Group of WHO were conducting 
investigation in Baoding City, the city has relatively good facility and condition for receptions.” [95] 

On May 27, at noon, Party Secretary of Hebei Provincial CCP Committee Bai Keming gave an explicit 
instruction on how to prepare materials for the interview and how to answer questions from the journalists. He 
said, “Be sure to be prepared to answer all kinds of questions, including questions unfriendly in nature… When 
answering their questions, keep calm.” Zhang Qunsheng, member of standing committee of Hebei Provincial 
CCP Committee and Head of Propaganda Department in Hebei Province convoked a meeting for all officials 
involved in different aspects of SARS prevention to study the instruction by Bai Keming. 

In the morning of May 28, Deputy Director of Bureau One of the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP 
Central Committee, Guo Weimin led the journalists group and arrived in Baoding City. Allegedly, “when the 
journalists entered the province, leaders of foreign propaganda bureau of provincial and municipal levels were 
the only people leading the team at the entrance of highways,” and “with meticulous planning and careful 


implementation, the journalists were allowed to ask any questions and were able to stroll around and conduct 
interviews freely… All these impressed foreign journalists as well as media outlets from central government 
favorably. Many media gave extensive coverage of the interviews in Baoding City.” 

Xiang Jinke, Vice Head of Propaganda Department of CCP Hebei Provincial Committee and Director of 
Information Office of Hebei Provincial Government, learned a great deal from whole planning of the interview. 
He said, “Inviting foreign reporters to interview us is an undertaking with heavy political and strategic 
connotations…. From the beginning to the end, Bai Keming, Party Secretary of Hebei Provincial CCP 
Committee was the general scheme planner and director; Zhang Qunsheng, member of standing committee of 
Hebei Provincial CCP Committee and Head of Propaganda Department of Hebei Province, was responsible for 
the detailed implementation.” “As long as we take full advantage of our conditions to control public opinion and 
to be smart in using foreign resources, make constant breakthroughs in our notions, methods, schemes, and 
formalities, we will have immense potential in areas of foreign propaganda.” [95] 

This is only one of the numerous examples wherein Chinese communist regime takes advantage of foreign 
media in its overseas propaganda. In January 2005, Chinese communist regime re-publicized the so-called 
“Tiananmen Self-immolation” incident. “With the arrangement of Information Office of the State Council, a 
journalist team composed of reporters from Xinhua News Agency, People’s Daily, China Radio International, 
China News Service, Hong Kong Wenweipo, Associated Press, and CNN interviewed the survivors of the “Self-
immolation” incident at Zhengzhou Prison on January 18.” [97] Soon after that, Associated Press published a 
report on the interview of “Self-immolation” survivor. Through the words of the interviewee, the report 
repeated CCP’s lies and slanders defaming Falun Gong. This report has been transcribed by many overseas 
media. [98] 

When the Chinese Communist regime staged the “Tiananmen Self-immolation” incident in 2001, an 
information source from inside the Ministry of Public Security revealed that “On the eve of Chinese lunar new 
Year (January 23, 2001), after the self-immolation incident occurred, policemen detained six or seven 
journalists on the spot who are reporters for CNN, Associated Press, Agence France Press stationed in Beijing. 
The police impounded their videotape and negatives, and requested them to sign a statement to admit they had 
conducted illegal interview and would never make the same mistake again. They were released afterwards.” [99] 
Four years later, when the Chinese communist regime made special arrangement for AP journalists to interview 
“self-immolation” survivor, the way AP journalists were treated and their behavior were completely different 
from four years ago. 

The famous French philosopher Simon Leys (his real name is Pierre Ryckmans) wrote in his book Chinese 
Shadows: “Things being what they are, it seems to me that the feeblest hack should be able to write a report on 
China…without leaving his desk…[If] he actually decided to look at China for himself…He would make the 
same tours with that same guides, sleep in the same hotels, visit the same institutions, meet the same people 
who would tell him the same things…always conforming to an unvarying and unreal ritual…belonging to an 
abstract world conceived by Maoist bureaucrats especially for foreign guests…In the tours for foreign visitors, 
always superbly organized, anything that might be unpredictable, unexpected, spontaneous, or improvised is 
ruthlessly eliminated…Yet most travelers who ‘do’ China in this way…look favorably on their experience. 
There is plenty of variety in the trips and the days are more than full.” (Chinese Shadows, By Simon Leys, New 
York: Viking Press, P1-2) [100] 



3. Establishing the global ideology united front with a variety of styles and 
means 

3.1 Infiltration through radio, film, video, books, magazines and comprehensive cultural 
exchange activities 

Broadcasting 

On September 2003, China Media Group (CMG) CCP Group member, the Director of China Radio 
International (CRI), CCP CRI Branch Committee secretary Li Dan stated during his interview by reporters, 
“During the Cultural Revolution, our international broadcasting (which was called ‘Radio Peking’ before the 
90s) exported revolution. Most of the feedbacks from our audiences came from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, 
Malaysia, Philippines, etc. They were all carrying out revolutions at that time, they all listened to our 
broadcasting on a daily basis for guidance on their revolution undertaking. Our program hosts became stars in 
their countries.” 

Li Dan believed that, “The most significant advantage of China Radio International was the ability to penetrate 
border blockade under any circumstance, such as during war time, both sides definitely will take actions to 
block messages from opposing side penetrating into their own controlling territory, this is the so-called 
information blockade. Under such circumstance, television would need cable or satellite dish to be able to reach 
local audience, printed media could no longer be promulgated, except through air drops; as far as Internet is 
concerned, it could be completely sealed off through technical means. Yet, radio broadcasting could not be 
stopped, even with jamming, it can adjust its frequencies, therefore it has significant mobility, flexibility and 
broad space for maneuvering.” [101] 

In September 1974, based on the bilateral cultural exchange between China and Canada, Li Dan was sent to 
study in Canada by the China Radio International. He said, “I did in-depth research and investigation on the 
western news broadcast. I started doing research also on our own news broadcast theory and practice. Based on 
the need and characteristics of our work, we planned to promulgate our propaganda in the form of news 
reporting.” 

In 1984, Li Dan went to Stanford University in the U.S. as a visiting scholar. It was reported that the 
“Professional Journalists Project” Unit at Stanford University provided a hefty sum of scholarship, and Li Dan 
was representing China, so it was counted as on official business but self financed. Li Dan told reporters, “After 
a year, because we need to study and understand how U.S. Congress works, I transferred to the School of 
Communication at the American University in Washington D.C. I focused my main effort to practice news 
covering at the U.S. Congress, and I had fairly thorough understanding on the internal situation, internal 
channels, public rules, relationship between the Congress and the news media.” “I felt that I truly permeated 
into the cells of the American society, thoroughly and acutely understand the American social and inter-
personal relationship.” [102] 


I returned back to China in 1986, and mainly focused on how to achieve our goal in disseminating our 
propaganda to foreign countries through news broadcast.” [103] 

Propaganda toward Foreign Countries via film and video 

On April 15 2004, the Foreign Propaganda Office of the Tianjin City CCP Committee (Information Office of 
Tianjin City Government) established the implementation details for the “Intensification of effort on 
propaganda toward foreign countries). This included “Consolidate resources of the entire city on propaganda 
toward foreign countries, establish inter-departmental cooperation mechanism for Foreign Propaganda, Foreign 
Affairs, Foreign Trade, Foreign Tourism, Culture, Taiwan Affairs, and Overseas Chinese Affairs, form a unified 
structure for the Foreign Propaganda. Make the focal point of Foreign Propaganda in synch with seeking 
overseas business and capital investment, as well as possible infusion of capital, technology and human 
resources.” “Make Europe, America, Northeastern Asia, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan as our main 
objective,” “Fully utilize the video and film supply channel that we have established with the world renowned 
CNN (US), strengthen the topic selection criteria and policy, further improve the quantity and quality of 
supplied footage.” [104] 

On February 2, 2005, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) announced and issued 
the “Focal Point (Guidelines) on Radio, Film and Television Propaganda for 2005.” The focal points included 
“Improving the style, methodology, means for the foreign propaganda, fully consider the needs and custom of 
the overseas audience….significantly broaden the undertaking to push foreign propaganda of radio, film and 
television to the worldwide arena, execute all the details well to ensure the propaganda become an integral part 
of the local culture, accelerate the exchange and cooperation on a worldwide basis for our radio, film and 
television.” [105] 

On July 13 of the same year, Tian Jin, a member of the CCP group at the State Administration of Radio, Film 
and Television, and deputy director of the Administration [106] emphasized at the National Conference on 
Overseas Radio, Film and Television Effort, “Intensify and strengthen radio, film and television 
propaganda overseas is the critical requirement for anti-westernization, anti-separation and anti-
infiltration; safeguard state security, strengthen the defense system on the battle ground of public opinion 
control….Radio, film and television propaganda overseas is an essential and critical part of our Party’s foreign 
propaganda, and it is a global and strategic undertaking to serve the Party and the Nation.” [107] 

Foreign Propaganda through Publications 

China Foreign Language Publishing and Distribution Administration, semi ministry organization, is under the 
CCP Central Committee and is directly led by the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee 
(the Information Office of the State Council). It is said that it is “a news publication agency that is mainly 
responsible for the Party’s and nation’s mission of foreign propaganda by means of books, periodicals and the 
Internet. China Foreign Language Publishing and Distribution Administration has a history of more than 50 
years.” [108] 

Yang Zhengquan [109], Deputy Director of the Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee 
(Information Office of the State Council), and Director and Party Group Secretary of the China Foreign 


Language Publishing and Distribution Administration said, “Over the past 50 years, China Foreign Language 
Publishing and Distribution Administration published and distributed nearly 1.1 billion copies of books and 
periodicals. They have been distributed to over 180 countries and regions of the world. They have contributed 
to the introduction of the new-born People’s Republic (of China) to the world.”[110] 

In 1994, China Foreign Language Publishing and Distribution Administration specifically started a new journal 
“International Communications,” which was alleged to be a journal “taking the study and promotion of foreign 
propaganda as its responsibility” and “exploring the art of disseminating the image of China and seeking the 
channels to reach the whole world.” Its target readers are “personnel of media outlets in charge of foreign 
propaganda, China’s foreign propaganda professionals at governmental, municipal and county level, all foreign 
affairs professionals in different ministries of the CCP Central Committee, faculty and students in the areas of 
foreign propaganda at universities, state level foreign affairs professionals.” [111] 

Yang Zhengquan also said, “Doing a good job in the foreign propaganda through books and periodicals is the 
focus of the Administration. Books and periodicals are one of the main measures of conducting foreign 
propaganda.” “Dedicated to the promotion of Marxism, to the promotion of the socialism with Chinese 
characteristics.” “Creating a good environment of international public opinion, upholding the interest and 
maintaining the security of the country, are the fundamental purpose of our doing foreign propaganda.” [110] 

In October 2004, Yu Yong, Vice Director of General Administration of Press and Publication of PRC, 
commented during an interview with a journalist that to carry out the strategy of internationalizing China’s 
publication activities “is a pressing political task...In the case of underdeveloped countries and regions and with 
the foreign propaganda publications that are highly political, we may use the non-trading approaches more often. 
In the case of developed countries and general publications, we may more often use economic trading 
approaches…Copyright transfer and co-publication should be the basic ways to internationalize China's 
publication activities." [112] 

In late July 2005, Information Office of the State Council, and General Administration of Press and Publication 
jointly distributed a circular entitled “How to Implement the Plan of Promoting Chinese Books to the World. ” 
The circular says, the Information Office of the State Council will provide financial assistance to foreign 
publishing agencies for their translation work when they purchase or are given free copyrights from domestic 
publishing agencies. [113] On August 30, Wu Wei, deputy director of the Third Bureau of the Information 
Office of the State Council said at the 2005 Beijing International Publication Forum, “Based on the success in 
financially assisting the French Publishing House to publish Chinese books, (we) timely introduced the Program 
to Popularize Chinese Books Abroad (also known as the PPCBA Plan).” Its main content is “by way of 
providing the translation fee, encourage foreign publishing businesses and agencies to publish and distribute 
books about China. [114] According to official reports in Chinese media, “Up until the 2nd half of 2004, our 
government has signed contracts with nine famous publishing agencies in six countries including US, UK, 
France, Singapore, Japan and Australia to provide about two million RMB Yuan of financial aid to help publish 
more than 110 types of Chinese books."[113] 

Cultural Exchange 


On September 1, 1999, the 1999 Paris-China Culture Week co-sponsored by the Foreign Propaganda Office of 
the Central CCP (Information Office of the State Council) and United Nations Educational, Scientific and 
Cultural Organization (UNESCO) held an opening ceremony at the lawn in front of the headquarter of 
UNESCO. According to Chinese official media, “One of the major planners of this event, the director of the 
Information Office of the State Council, Zhao Qizheng was very satisfied with the outcome of this culture 
week… Zhao also answered questions raised by the French audience, including questions on reformation of 
Chinese state-owned enterprises, construction of market economy, reformation of Chinese characters, the 
current status of news and press in China, the economical and cultural exchange between China and France, the 
construction of Three Gorges Dam, as well as outlaw of ‘Falun Gong’ organization in China.” [115] 

Between August 24 and September 17, 2000, “Chinese Culture Touring America,” an event engaged in foreign 
propaganda was launched in the US. The Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee 
(Information Office of the State Council) planned and organized this event, which was comprised of three parts: 
exhibition, art performance, and keynote speech. During the nearly one-month-long event, the Chinese cultural 
organizations visited nine major US cities. The Chinese official media claimed, “This event is China’s first 
successful trial in disseminating our propaganda to foreign countries by means of public relationship.” [116] 

On October 28, 2003, CCTV and Association of Overseas Chinese in France jointly hosted an entertainment 
evening party “hand-in-hand.” The Chairman of Association of Overseas Chinese in France, Lin Jiazhe said in 
his open speech that he was very excited to have the opportunity to be part of the Chinese Cultural Year 
activities. He praised the CCTV to be “spiritual food for overseas Chinese in France.” [117] 

In October 2003, Vice President of College of Journalism and Communication, Shanghai International Studies 
University, Guo Ke [118] wrote in his published paper, “the Information Office of the State Council spent a 
huge amount of money worth of 5 million dollars to launch various events in major US cities, which was meant 
to build public relationship. It has gained pretty good propaganda outcome.” [119] 

On May 13, 2004, the director of the Foreign Propaganda Office of the CCP Central Committee (Information 
Office of the State Council), Zhao Qizheng stated in his speech at Qinghua University, “Our global propaganda 
needs to get close to the cultural background and needs of the foreign audiences. It needs to be conducted 
through multiple channels in parallel: press release, newspaper, book, radio, television, internet, cultural 
exchange as well as foreign propaganda from the effort of our entire population.” When Zhao Qizheng talked 
about “cultural exchange,” he said, “No one could say no to culture or cultural exchange. We must reinforce 
cultural exchange.” [29] 

On October 26, 2005, editor of State Administration of Foreign Experts AffairsChen Weiyuan wrote in his 
article “What the ‘Chinese-French Cultural Year’ Had Brought to Us,” “The success of the Chinese-French 
Cultural Year is quite an inspiration for our overseas propaganda work. Taking the approach of cultural 
exchange in overseas propaganda will have a far-reaching and lasting effect and will be well received by the 
audience… Culture is a ‘soft’ component of our nation’s power. Cultural diplomacy is a ‘soft’ dissemination of 
our nation’s will. Compared with economical diplomacy and political diplomacy, cultural diplomacy is able to 
have our target audience unknowingly accept (our propaganda). Such cultural infiltration through subtle 
influence cannot be underestimated. [120] 


3.2 To defeat the criticism on human rights by “international anti-China forces,” the 
Chinese Communist Party raises the banner of upholding human rights 

After the CCP seized the power and established its regime, for a long period of time, “human rights” in China 
was a taboo word for theoretical discussion. People dared not mention the two words “human rights.” Wang Mi, 
an editor in Sichuan People’s Publishing Company, said, “To regard human rights as a patent exclusively 
inherited and owned by the capitalists society restricts us from actively participating in human rights areas in 
the Untied Nation and is not beneficial to our fighting against human rights attacks from Western countries. 
During the late 80s and early 90s in the last century, western countries directed their human rights attacks 
against China immediately after the collapse of Soviet Union and East Europe at the end of the cold war. Facing 
with strong attacks against Chinese human rights issues, Jiang Zemin and other CCP central leaders carefully 
evaluated the situation and requested the initiation of studies in human rights issues in order to respond to and 
counter the attacks.” [121] 

On March 15, 2004, Dong Yunhu [18], the Director of Seventh Bureau of the Foreign Propaganda Office 
(Information Office of the State Council), said in his article published in People’s Daily, “During the late 80s 
and early 90s in the last century, dramatic changes occurred in Soviet Union and East Europe. The international 
hostile forces enhanced their anti-China attacks on “human rights” issues. To fight against their human rights 
attack, the CCP Central Committee with General Secretary Jiang Zemin being the kernel leader summarized the 
practice of human rights development in modern China and the world, and re-studied human rights issues. From 
an angle of struggle against overseas forces, they raised and provided clear answers to the issue of whether the 
socialist China should raise the banner upholding human rights. In 1989, Jiang Zemin and other central leaders 
clearly pointed out, ‘We need to make it clear to people that our democracy is the broadest democracy of the 
people, and the socialist China is most respectful to human rights.’ From then on, human rights have become a 
key point of Chinese propaganda towards foreign countries.” [122] 

In Oct. 1990, Overview of the International Human Rights Covenants edited and written by Dong Yunhu and 
Liu Wuping who were teaching at the Party School of the CCP Central Committee was officially published. 
Dong stated that the book was originated from a human rights study project that he conducted, which the CCP 
Central Committee had assigned to him in response to the need to fight against overseas forces.” [121] 

Wang Xuexian, Deputy Director of the International Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who was 
responsible for Human Rights Affairs, once said, “From January to March this year (1991), I attended the 
United Nations Commission on Human Rights in Geneva. This book provided me with an important theoretic 
foundation and a fighting tool. …It supplied those who have been engaged in the struggling for the foreign 
affairs, especially for the international human rights area with a sharp weapon.” 

On March 21, 1991, CCTV broadcast the same content in “the News Line” and “the Evening News,” 
“Theoretically, this book totally and systematically made a clear basic distinction from the viewpoints of human 
rights between the Marxism and the Capitalism. It applied the basic standpoint, views and ways of Marxism to 
analyze and discuss the historical development of the concept of human rights.” [121] 

Wang Mi, who took part as the on-duty Editor of the Overview, claimed, “On November 1, 1991, the Foreign 
Propaganda Office (Information Office of the State Council) published China’s first human rights white paper 


“The Chinese Human Rights Status.” …in front of the whole world, the human rights banner was raised up in a 
bold and assured manner.” Dong Yunhu, who partook in the white paper drafting, was one of the chief 
draftsmen. In the same year, the Party School of the CCP Central Committee made an exception, promoting him 
as an Associate Professor; three years later, another exception was made for him, he became a Professor of the 
Party School. [121] In October 1995, he was promoted to the Director of the Human Rights Research Office of 
the Foreign Propaganda Office, and in June 1997, he was advanced as the Director of the Seventh Bureau of the 
State Council Information Office and concurrently held the post as Vice-Chairman and General Secretary of the 
China Human Rights Research Association. [123] 

In October 1997, Chinese government signed “International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural 
Rights.” On October 5, 1998, at the United Nations headquarters, Qin Huasun, the Chinese Ambassador to the 
UN, signed “International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.” [124] Nine months later, the CCP regime 
launched a large-scale persecution against Falun Gong practitioners. 

3.3 Developing the Internet, Opening up New Channels for Overseas Infiltration 

On January 1, 1997, the website for the governmental foreign propaganda, China Internet Information Center 
(China Net), established by the Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee (Information Office of 
the State Council) became an important platform for the CCP in its overseas news report. In May of the same 
year, the Information Office of the State Council passed down “The Notices on Using the World Wide Web to 
Unfold Overseas News Propaganda (Office Document [1997] No. 1),” which stipulated that “Information 
Office of the State Council in using the World Wide Web to develop overseas news propaganda uses 
categorical management, and plans the coordination of news propaganda entering the World Wide Web 
(referred to as entering the web hereafter) on the whole.” “News propaganda work units entering the web must 
submit applications to the Information Office of the State Council for examination and approval.” “The content 
of Internet news propaganda designed for overseas in every news propaganda work unit must uniformly enter 
the web through the CCP Central Committee’s foreign propaganda information platform and cannot enter the 
web by oneself through other means, even less so, can it enter the web from overseas.” [125] 

On May 9, 2000, the Propaganda Department and the Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee 
passed down the “Compendium for the World Wide Web News Propaganda Enterprise Development (2000-
2002).” This document brought forth the guiding tenet and the purpose in constructing the enterprise of Internet 
news propaganda. It also confirmed the first group of important news propaganda websites - China Internet 
Information Center, People’s Daily, Xinhua News Agency, China Radio International (CRI) and China Daily 
[126] - as the backbone. Together with the “interlinking of CCP Central Committee’s various news propaganda 
websites, the CCP Central Committee and local news propaganda websites and overseas consulates and 
embassies,” they form an “intimate collaboration of World Wide Web news propaganda system.” Search 
engines of China’s World Wide Web news propaganda system only allow visitors to search news propaganda 
domain names and information contents that are approved by the Foreign Propaganda Office, and offer 
directories and navigation services. “China Net, CRI Online and China Daily websites handle the major 
responsibilities of foreign propaganda.” [127] 

On May 10, 2000, The Center for International Communications Studies of Tsinghua University hosted a 
“News Promulgation in the Internet Age” seminar. Information Office of the State Council Director, Zhao 


Qizheng said, “China entered every era late by several decades or even a century, but in entering the Internet 
age this time, it is not late. Instead, it is almost at the same pace as Europe and the U.S. Furthermore, each year, 
our Internet users have been growing at a rate in between 200% to 400%.” [128] 

Starting from March 25, 2002, the Foreign Propaganda Office of CCP Central Committee (Information Office 
of State Council) published the so-called “Falun Gong Memo” in those anti-Falun Gong columns of almost all 
overseas embassies’ websites, fabricated news to slander Falun Gong, and carried on the brainwashing 
propaganda toward people outside China to instigate hatred. [129] 

On Nov. 14, 2003, the Foreign Propaganda Office claimed that among publications that “expose and denounce 
Falun Gong,” Xinhua Net and domestic sections of Xinhua News Agency “reported massive influential news. 
Many scripts were not only reprinted by domestic media frequently, but also cited by overseas Chinese and 
western mainstream media.” [130] 

On November 14, 2003, according to the information publicly released by research investigator Huang Fengwu, 
from Fifth Bureau [18] of the Foreign Propaganda Office: 

As for China Daily Website: “the number of news reports increased from average 200 scripts daily in July 2000 
to average more than 800 daily in 2001.” “China Daily Website not only publishes news on its own website, 
but also has agreements to provide news for nearly ten media agencies or organizations including Reuter, 
the England Financial Times, Dow Jones, DATATIMES, China InfoBank, Asia information, Channel 
NewsAsia and others. These agencies and organizations reprint our news every day. With the aid of their 
global influence, their publication channels, and promotion channels, we have achieved ‘Borrows other’s 
ship to go out to the sea’.” “More and more overseas people have taken the China Daily Website as an 
important channel to obtain news and information about China.” 

As for Xinhua Net, his comment was: In 2001, “When publishing news report in guiding readers to study 
General Secretary Jiang Zemin’s important theory of the “Three Representatives,” and to expose and denounce 
Falun Gong, Xinhua Net and Xinhua News Agency Domestic Section, Photograph Section put joint effort in 
reporting those topics, and their reports are influential, the number of scripts is huge. It has an important impact 
at home and abroad. Many scripts were not only reprinted by domestic media frequently, but also cited by 
overseas Chinese and western mainstream media. It led to very good propaganda outcome.” 

China Radio International website was praised as follows: “In 2001, based on its own characteristics, China 
Radio International was clear about its role as a radio station reaching out to overseas audience without leaving 
domestic broadcast behind. It established both Chinese and English homepage; in additional, it opened seven 
foreign languages channels. It played an important role in broadcasting important events such as the grand 
scene of the conferences of National People's Congress (NPC) and the National Committee of the Chinese 
People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), and in exposing and denouncing Falun Gong.” [130] 

In 2003, the vice-chief-editor of Xinhua News Agency, senior reporter Xia Lin published an article in “Chinese 
Media Report “ (1st issue of 2003), he claimed, “State Development Planning Committee gave 75 million RMB 
Yuan as the initial investment to the fundamental development of five important media agencies’ propaganda 
websites. Ministry of Finance gave a certain amount of annual operation fund to five propaganda websites of 


China’s mainstream media. With the support of Ministry of Information Industry, the Foreign Propaganda 
Office of CCP Central Committee, on behalf of the CCP Central Committee’s seven media websites, signed the 
agreement with China Telecom Group and got 50% discount of usage fee for telecommunication lines. To 
increase the transmission to overseas, according to the same policy, five important propaganda websites of 
China mainstream media signed the contract with Genuity corporation in the U.S, and installed a mirror website 
with 100M bandwidth in the U.S. After the website was launched, the page-view from the overseas jumped 2 to 
3 times.” [131] 

Conclusion 

Numerous investigation results from World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong show 
that the Chinese Communist Party has a clear and strategic plan in its overseas propaganda serving to infiltrate 
the communist ideology. The main targets for the CCP’s brainwashing scheme include middle and upper class 
in their target countries, such as people in political circles, business circles, journalism professions, scholars, 
and overseas Chinese, “because they control either the political or the economic power and have the influence 
on the ideology and public opinion of those countries.” [35] 

The Chinese Communist Party forcibly instilled communist ideology into all nationalities in China. The CCP 
has thus committed the largest spiritual persecution in human history. This report is aimed at prompting the 
international society to become alert and realize the fact that because the Chinese Communist Party’s crimes 
mostly are committed inside China, and the CCP fully controls the information at home and blocks the 
information abroad, the societies both at home and abroad can hardly know the truth. When the CCP 
camouflage the communist fallacy with Chinese characteristic and infiltrate it to foreign countries by means of 
cultural exchange and news reports, people are brainwashed unknowingly. Wherever the communist ideology 
successfully infiltrates, degeneration and moral corruption is inevitable. Under the brainwashing propaganda of 
the CCP, in front of material interests and temptation that has become the commonly used leverage by the CCP, 
people’s desire for material well-being are constantly growing and they are gradually losing the sense to 
distinguish between right and wrong and the moral strength to uphold justice. In the long run, there will no 
longer be justice in the society; nor will there be righteousness in the human world. The fatal detriment brought 
forth by the so-called “communism with Chinese characterisitic” (translator’s note: this is a term coined by the 
CCP to justify all the policy changes it has made which are different or absent from the original Marxism) to the 
morality and civilization of mankind, to world peace and advancement, is being and will be verified by history 
all over the world. 

References: 

1. China Net, July 1, 2001 news of Xinhua News Agency, “Comrade Jiang Zemin’s Speech in the Conference 
of Celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party.” 
http://www.tsmc.edu.cn/www/gljg/xcb/4-1-1.htm 

2. People’s Net, Citing from the CCP History Research, 6th issue, 2001. “Liu Shaoqi’s General Political Line 
during the Transitional Period.” http://www.people.com.cn/GB/33831/33839/30513/30518/2568764.html 


3. Xinhua Net. General Political Line during the Transitional Period. http://news.xinhuanet.com/ziliao/2003-
09/01/content_1056710.htm 

4. People’s Net. Mao Zedong drafted the first Constitution of PRC in Zhejiang Province. 
http://www.npcnews.com.cn/gb/paper370/1/class037000003/hwz224711.htm 

5. Xinhua Net, The second “Constitution of The People’s Republic of China” (1975) clearly stipulated, “We 
must adhere to the Chinese Communist Party’s basic line and policies in the whole socialism period, adhere to 
continuing the revolution under the dictatorship of the proletariat, and enable our great homeland to forever 
march forward under the guidance of Marxism-Leninism and Mao Zedong Thought.” 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/ziliao/2004-02/18/content_1320280.htm 

6. The Epoch Times website, “On the Chinese Communist Party’s History of Killing,” Part 7 of the Epoch 
Times editorials, The Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party, “Since 1949, the CCP has persecuted more 
than half the people in China. An estimated 60 million to 80 million people died of unnatural causes. This 
number exceeds the total number of deaths in both World Wars combined.” http://www.dajiyuan.com 

7. Selections of Mao Zedong’s Articles on Information, page 182, published by Xinhua Publishing House, 1st 
edition, February 1983, http://academic.mediachina.net/xsqk_view.jsp?id=682 

8. China Telecom website, “Comrade Chen Yi, a Proletarian Revolutionist,” 
http://www.chinatelecom.com.cn/sxgz/20020531/00000162.html 

9. The Epoch Times website, “Fool People with Lies and Make Despotic Rule, Compete for Power and Money 
and Reign with Terror, Part 6 of June 4 Massacre Special Compilations,” authored by Ao Tu. This was an 
article submitted for the “Red China’s Lies” global writing competition. 
http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/3/9/3/n369396.htm 

10. Chinaredweb.com, Part 4 of a background information series, “The Whole Story of Deng Xiaoping’s 
Touring the South,” by Deng Xiaoping Theory Research Office, The School of Laws and Politics, Tianjin 
Institute of Technology. http://www.tjut.edu.cn:8080/redweb/bjzl_4.htm 

11. The phrase of “tao guang yang hui” means “hiding one’s capacities and biding one’s time.” The following is 
the phrase’s dictionary explanation: It means hiding one’s capabilities and preventing them from being known. 
It was derived from “The Old Tang Dynasty History Book: Imperial Biographies, No.18, Part B, Emperor Xuan 
Zong.” The book said that Tang Dynasty Emperor Xuan Zong did not expose his talents, and did not talk much. 
When he was a child, all people in the Emperor Court believed that he was not smart. Later his brother 
accidentally noticed his talents, and then told his mother Queen Zheng Shi, who ordered his brother not to make 
it known. Later, Xuan Zong expectedly inherited the emperor position. In modern explanations of this phrase, 
the example of Liu Bei, a figure of “The Evolution of Three Kingdoms,” was often used. Before Liu became a 
king, because of his lack in military power, he pretended to attend a vegetable garden to show that he had no 
intention to compete with others, so as to pursue his ambition later. This was called “hiding one’s capacities and 
biding one’s time.” http://www.guoxue.com/shibu/24shi/oldtangsu/jtsml.htm


In “The Old Tang Dynasty History Book: Imperial Biographies, No.18, Part B, Emperor Xuan Zong.” Authored 
by Li Xu and others (in Later Jin Dynasty), “Ancient Article Treasure House” (yuan dian bao ku), Guoxue.net. 
http://www.guoxue.com/shibu/24shi/oldtangsu/jtsml.htm 

12. People.com.cn, Information Office of the State Council, November 20, 2001, 
http://tw.people.com.cn/GB/14865/14922/859679.html 

13. Govern the Country with Law – Laws and Regulations, April 19, 1993, “Circular of the State Council 
Concerning Organizational Structure,” The State Council of the People’s Republic of China, 
http://www.lawyer21.co.kr/lawchina/ch+ch/1/1-14.htm 

14. Xinhua Daily Net, http://www.xhby.net/xhby/content/2003-02/24/content_206343.htm 

15. People.com.cn, November 6, 2000, The Information Office of the State Council and the Ministry of 
Information Industry jointly issued “Interim Provisions for Administration of Internet Websites’ Publishing 
News,” http://www.people.com.cn/GB/channel5/28/20001107/302408.html 

16. Xinhua Net, March 17, 2003. History and Function of the Information Office of the State Council, 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/zhengfu/2003-03/17/content_782728.htm 

17. Xinhua Net, Curriculum Vitae of Zhao Qizheng, http://news.xinhuanet.com/ziliao/2002-
03/05/content_300452.htm 

18. The Information Office of the State Council has seven bureaus. 

1st Bureau - Enhancing the China media’s reporting news overseas and press release, and providing services to 
foreign reporters for their gathering news in China. The Bureau Chief is Qian Xiaoqian. 

2nd Bureau - Enhancing Chinese media’s reporting of international issues and its research on the statuses of the 
international media, and in charge of the exchange and cooperation with foreign media organizations. The 
Bureau Chief is Gu Yaoming. 

3rd Bureau - Responsible for planning and organizing the making and publishing of books and videos that are 
targeted for circulation overseas, as well as comprehensive cultural exchange programs. The Bureau Chief is 
Guo Changjian. 

4th Bureau - Studying the plan and ways for promoting China overseas, and being in charge of drafting 
important documents, reports, etc., which this bureau is held responsible for. The Bureau Chief is Li Chen. 

5th Bureau - Making plans for the development of internet news, enriching the English contents of important 
websites of Chinese government. The Bureau Chief is Qian Xiaoyu (as the adjunct chief). 

6th Bureau – Supervising the provincial, municipal, and autonomous regions’ Information Office, and providing 
service to Hong Kong and Taiwan reporters for their coming to Mainland China to gather news. The Bureau 
Chief is Tian Jin. 

7th Bureau – Driving the work of introducing the of the China’s human right development statuses to foreign 
countries, and engaging the exchange and cooperation with foreign organizations in the area of human rights. 
The Bureau Chief is Dong Yunlong. 

By the Information Office of the State Council, People.com.cn 
http://tw.people.com.cn/GB/14865/14922/859679.html 



19. Beijing Spring Magazine, June 2001 Issue (No.97 Issue), “The Official Documents from the Central 
Committee of the Chinese Communist Party regarding the Falun Gong Issue.” http://www.bjzc.org/bjs/bc/97/09 

20. Snweb.cn (Information Center of People’s Daily), “New Front,” No. 11, 2002, “Using the Important ‘Three 
Representatives’ Thoughts to Drive the New Development of Foreign Propaganda,” Zhao Qizheng. 
http://www.snweb.com/gb/xw/2002/11/a1101002.htm 

21. People’s Daily, October 25, 2004, http://www.ccyl.org.cn/study_think/file/xxysk20041025.htm 

22. People’s Daily, February 27, 1999, page 1, “Jiang Zemin’s Speech on the National Conference for Foreign 
Media Propaganda in 1999,” http://www.people.com.cn/item/ldhd/Jiangzm/1999/huiyi/hy0002.html 

23. People’s Daily, October 26, 1999, page 1, 
http://www.people.com.cn/item/ldhd/Jiangzm/1999/chufang/1999ofy/ofy020.html 

24. China Radio International, on November 2, 2001, published what Guo Jinzhe, the Editor-in-Chief of China 
Radio International Have Learned from Foreign Propaganda Work, 
http://web10.cri.com.cn/special/2001/Nov/74702.htm 

25. Report from People’s Daily website, “2000 China International Propaganda Conference,” January 25, 2000. 
http://web.peopledaily.com.cn/zdxw/19/20000125/200001251913.html 

26. Report from China.org website, “Opening of China International Propaganda Conference,” January 13, 
2001, http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/2001/Jan/16914.htm 

27. Xia Lin, The power of the tongue from Report of Chinese Media, June 8, 2003 
http://www.mlcool.com/html/01723.htm 

28. Zhao Qizheng, “The International Media Environment that China is Facing,” from World Knowledge 
http://media.people.com.cn/GB/40628/3278733.html 

29. Zhao Qizheng, “The Soft Power and Global Information Spreading,” from the website of Center of 
International Information Spreading in Tsinghua University http://www.media.tsinghua.edu.cn/zxxw/2005-04-
17/zxxw0-1-399.shtml 

30. Report from Center of International Information Spreading in Tsinghua University October 28, 2004, “Liu 
Yunshan: in the conference of 60th anniversary of Xinhua News Agency Launching International English 
Broadcasting.” http://www.media.tsinghua.edu.cn/xwll/2004-10-28/xwll0-9-177.shtml 

31. The research group of “the research on efficient foreign propaganda” of Xinhua News Agency, Improve the 
Efficiency of Our Foreign Propaganda III, from China Reporter Vol. 2 2004, http://203.192.6.68/2004/2/2-
23.htm 


32. Zhao Qizheng, “The International Media Environment that China is Facing,” from World Knowledge, 
http://www.media.tsinghua.edu.cn/xshy/2005-01-13/xshy0-14-239.shtml 

33. Report from Xinhua Net, April 13, 2004, “the deputy director of the Information Office of State Council, 
Qian Xiaoqian held a press conference.” http://news.xinhuanet.com/video/2004-04/13/content_1415777.htm 

34. Report from Hong Kong Wenhui newspaper, Peng Kailei, July 20, 2005, “Qian Xiaoqian promotes Tibet 
without a break,” 
http://www.wenweipo.com/news.phtml?news_id=HK0507200008&loc=LU&cat=230XZ&no_combo=1 

35. The research group of “the research on efficient international propaganda” of Xinhua News Agency, 
Improve the Efficiency of Our Foreign Propaganda III, from China Reporter, Vol. 2 2004, 
http://203.192.6.68/2004/2/2-23.htm 

36. “The close of the first International Chinese Media Forum in Nanjing,” 
http://www.fcm.chinanews.com.cn/2001-09-18/2/257.html 

37. Report from Tongxin website, July 11, 2003, “Follow the new situation of globalized economy, and create a 
new environment of international propaganda.” Author: Huang Qiongji, http://www.tongxin.org/j-sys-
news/page/2003/711/2705_652.shtml 

38. Zhongxin Net, September 23, 2003, “Chinese Media Forum Closes; Liu Zepeng Calls for Geographic 
Affinity to Create Business Opportunities” 

http://www.chinanews.com.cn/n/2003-09-23/26/349925.html 

39. Website of Party School of the CCP Central Committee 

http://www.ccps.gov.cn/yjsjy/bysxx.htm 

40. China Party Cadres’ Forum, issue 6, 2002, “Strategy for China’s International Image in an Era of Media 
Globalization,” Author: Wu Yurong, 
http://www.54479.com/54479/ReadNews.asp?NewsID=582&BigClassName=&BigClassID=18&SmallClassID=17&SpecialID=0 

41. World Manager Weekly, www.icxo.com, January 14, 2004, “Analysis of the Current Development of 
Foreign Media Corporation,” http://www.icxo.com/news.jsp?newsid=64651 

42. VOA Chinese: May 26, 2001 “Media Mogul Son of Rupert Murdoch Calls Falun Gong Apocalyptic Cult” 
Reported by Ya Wei, http://www.voa.gov/chinese/archive/worldfocus/mar2001/mon/0326018murdoch-
chinagbtxt.htm 

43. Zhejiang Online News Net, Commentary on China News Dissemination, Chapter 14, Administration of new 
dissemination technologies 
http://www.cjr.com.cn/gb/node2/node26108/node30205/node194934/node195050/node195053/userobject7ai1637.html 



44. China News Research Center, source: Cultural Study, “Criticizing Murdoch- Part 1,” Author: Yuan Aizhong 

http://cddc.net/shownews.asp?newsid=8060 

45. China Media Information Net, “Brief Introduction to Phoenix Satellite TV Holdings Ltd.” 
http://www.cmni.com.cn/othres/xg/fhwsjj.htm 

46. People Net, source: Beijing Youth Daily, “Liu Changle Still Going Strong After Eight Years at Phoenix 
TV,” Reporter: Wu Fei. http://media.people.com.cn/GB/40701/3108120.html 

47. Xinhua Net, September 2, 2003, “Global Chinese Language Satellite TV – brand magic of Phoenix Satellite 
TV” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2003-09/02/content_1058280_1.htm 

48. Legal Daily, March 26, 2001, page 4, “Son of Rupert Murdoch Attacks Falun Gong” 

http://www.legaldaily.com.cn/gb/content/2001-03/26/content_15306.htm 

49. People Net, Liberation Daily, March 26, 2001 

http://www.people.com.cn/GB/other6902/2832/20010326/425397.html 

50. Xinlu Net, July 3, 2002, reprinted from Beijing Morning News 

http://www.xinlunet.com/2002-07-03/1/339.html 

51. VOA Chinese: May 26, 2001 “Media Mogul Son of Rupert Murdoch Calls Falun Gong Apocalyptic Cult,” 
Reported by Ya Wei. http://www.voa.gov/chinese/archive/worldfocus/mar2001/mon/0326018murdoch-
chinagbtxt.htm 

52. STAR Group Limited 

STAR Group Limited is solely owned by News Corp., and it is the primary multi-platform media service 
provider in Asia. STAR broadcasts through 40 channels to about 300 million people in 53 countries in seven 
languages. STAR channels include Star Chinese Channel, Star Plus, Star World, Xing Kong Wei Shi, Vi jay, 
Phoenix Chinese, Channel V., ESPN, Star Sports, Star Gold, Star Movies, Phoenix Movies, Star News and 
Phoenix InfoNews. http://www.startv.com/big5/pressrm_intro.cfm?press_seq=841 

53. Xinhua Net, January 8, 2004, “Media Administration Cases: Murdoch News Corp. China Strategy” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2004-01/08/content_1266435.htm 

54. Chinese Computer Technology Net, March 22, 2002, South Paper, “Phoenix Satellite TV Lands in China; 
Murdoch Star Group Limited Begins Broadcast Next Month.” 

http://www.chinabyte.com/20020322/1603217.shtml 

55. China Net, Zeng Qinghong resume: 2002, he was a member of the Politburo Standing Committee, secretary 
of the Central Party Committee and principal of the Central Party School (in December 2002). 
http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/2003/Mar/293702.htm 



56. People Net, October 8, 2003, Rupert Murdoch: Value of the Culture Industry-Speech by Rupert Murdoch, 
Director and Executive of News Corp. at the Party School of the CCP Central Committee. 
http://www.people.com.cn/GB/14677/22114/41180/41185/3015288.html 

57. Xinhua Net, October 10, 2003, “Li Changchun Meets with Murdoch and Hopes More Cooperation between 
News Corp and China.” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2003-10/10/content_1116251.htm 

58. Decree No. 44: Provisional Rules for Administration of Joint Ventures and Cooperative Enterprises of 
China and Foreign Countries Producing and Operating Radio and TV Programs. 

Article 4, Chapter 1: “enterprises solely owned by foreign venture for making and operating TV broadcasting 
programs are not permitted” 

Item 5, Article 6, Chapter 2: “legal representative must be appointed by the Chinese government” 

Item 6, Article 6, Chapter 2: “the Chinese partner must own no less than 51% of the total stock in a joint 
venture” 

Article 12, Chapter 3: “joint venture enterprises can make special topic, special column, entertainment, cartoon 
and other radio and TV programs, but they must not make current affairs and political news or similar special 
feature programs or special column programs.” 

State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Website, “Provisional Rules for Administration of Joint 
Ventures and Cooperative Enterprises of China and Foreign Countries Producing and Operating Radio and TV 
Programs” http://www.sarft.gov.cn/manage/publishfile/20/2274.html 

59. Xinhua Net, March 7, 2005 report, source: State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Website, 
“Notice on Provisional Rules for Administration of Joint Ventures and Cooperative Enterprises of China and 
Foreign Countries Producing and Operating Radio and TV Programs” 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2005-03/07/content_2660086.htm

60. Xinhua Net, March 7, 2005 report, source: News Morning, “New Policy Comes Out: Foreign Film and TV 
Media can Only Open One Joint Venture Company” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2005-03/07/content_2660106.htm 

61. Tian Jin: deputy head of State Administration of Radio, Film and Television: Together Promote the Partner 
Relationship between China and North Union 
http://www.people.com.cn/GB/guoji/8212/36645/36653/2743636.html 

62. China State Administration of Radio, Film and Television Website, July 13, 2005, Excerpt of Tian Jin’s 
speech at national radio, film and television overseas work meeting 

http://www.sarft.gov.cn/manage/publishfile/134/3185.html 

63. BBC Chinese, September 19, 2005, Murdoch Calls Beijing “distrustful” 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/chinese/trad/hi/newsid_4250000/newsid_4259500/4259566.stm 



64. Economist, (News Corporation’s Troubles in China, September 22, 2005) 

http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4427632&subjectid=2743324&tranMode=none 

65. China Net, December 28, 2004, “Basic Establishment of Three-tiered News Publication System of the 
Chinese Government” 

http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/2004/Dec/741194.htm 

66. The Epoch Times, January 17, 2001, Zhang Kunlun Escaped from the Tiger’s Claw: I was Subjected to 
“Brainwashing” in China. 

http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/1/1/17/n35847.htm 

67. The Epoch Times, January 21, 2001, “World Journal: Zhang Kunlun Recounts Abuse in Prison.” 
http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/1/1/21/n37851.htm 

68. Chinese Consulate in Canada website, January 18, 2001, “Chinese Consulate Spokesperson on Zhang 
Kunlun’s Speech at Press Conference” 

http://www.chinaembassycanada.org/chn/xw/swgb/t27835.htm 

69. Chinese Consulate in Australia website, “Chinese Consulate Spokesperson Speaks on January 28, 2005” 

http://www.chinaembassy.org.au/chn/zt/jpflg/t181529.htm 

70. Information Net of Anhui justice and administrative system, Document No. 21 

“Instruction on reinforcing the propaganda work related to Anhui Province’s justice and administrative system.” 
http://www.ahsft.gov.cn/oldver/zytz/200403/2004031501.htm 

71. Website of the Propaganda Department of the Chinese Communist Party Committee at North China Electric 
Power University 

Notice: “The regulations of reporting unexpected incidents occurring at North China Electric University.” 
http://www.ncepubj.edu.cn/xcb/tztg-show.asp?column_id=329&column_cat_id=1

72. Clearwisdom Net, August 21, 2001. 

“The Press Conference and 265-hour Sit-In Protest in San Francisco” 

http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2001/8/21/13061.html 

73. The spokesman for the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco made a public speech. 

General Consul’s Website of Chinese Consulate in San Francisco, August 27, 2001

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/chn/xw/t37894.htm 

74. News spokesperson of the China Anti-Cult website in the U.S. Delivered a Speech. 

http://www.anticult.org/article.htm1?id=5480 


75. Xinhua Net, “Human Rights White Paper published on March 30, 2004, a milestone of China’s human 
rights improvement” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2004-03/30/content_1391278.htm 

76. Xinhua Net, April 13, 2005. “China published White Paper: China’s Human Rights Progress in 2004.” 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2005-04/13/content_2822125.htm 

77. People’s Daily Overseas Edition, March 25, 2005, “Director of Information Office of State Council Zhao 
Qizheng: Striving to Introduce China to the World.” By Shen Xinggeng, Zhang Yongheng. 

http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/2005/Mar/820284.htm 

78. Xinhua Net, March 30, 2005. “Zhao Qizheng: We Dare to Broadcast Live, Indicating Chinese Officials are 
of Good Caliber.” 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2005-03/30/content_2761635.htm 

79. China Guangzhou Net, August 26, 2005. “Brief Analysis of Connections and Differences between 
Propaganda at Home and Overseas Propaganda” by Ding Daishu, 
http://www.guangzhou.gov.cn/node_530/node_533/2005-08/112504723766622.shtml 

80. The research group of “the research on efficient foreign propaganda” of Xinhua News Agency, Improve the 
Efficiency of Our Foreign Propaganda III, from China Reporter Vol. 2 2004, http://203.192.6.68/2004/2/2-
18.htm 

81. Communication Forum Net, November 14, 2003. “Thoughts on China’s International News Dissemination 
under the Climate of Globalization,” By Song Zhaoxun, 
http://ruanzixiao.diy.myrice.com/qqhxzggjxwcbdcsk1114.htm 

82. Thousand Dragon News Net, May 31, 2004. “Evaluation of the Efficiency of Foreign Propaganda via 
China’s Media Outlets,” http://medianet.qianlong.com/7692/2004/05/31/[email-masked] 

83. “International Communications,” June 2005. “What the Foreign Propaganda Personnel Need-Mastery of 
Artifices and Reducing the Tone of Propaganda,” 

By Tang Runhua, Head of Xinhua News Agency’s Research Institute. 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2005-07/06/content_3182686_1.htm 

84. Website of the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT), Reply of Spokesperson of 
SARFT to Questions Raised by Journalists of South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), 
http://211.146.6.3/manage/publishfile/136/2300.html 

85. CCTV website: Brief introduction to CCTV-4 (international channel) 

http://sports.cctv.com/homepage/profile/04/index.shtml 

86. People’s Net, Subscription Status, http://bkdy.people.com.cn/dispnews.php?id=73 


87. Xinhua Net, July 4, 2005. “Transcribing News dispatch from China News Agency on July 1 People’s Daily 
Overseas Edition, one of the five main media for overseas propaganda, celebrates 20th anniversary,” 
http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2005-07/04/content_3171046.htm 

88. Website of Chinese Embassy in France, “China’s Main Overseas Media” 

http://fr.chineseembassy.org/chn/zgzfg/zgsg/xwc/zgmtfz/t154881.htm 

89. Website of Foreign Propaganda Office of Guangdong Province CCP Committee, August 26, 2003. China’s 
State Council issued Document No. 47 “Regulation stipulations on Foreign Journalists and Foreign Media 
Outlets in China.” http://www.gdfao.gov.cn/lbxw/lb7/200308260014.htm 

90. Tsinghua Net, “Chronicles of Fighting Against SARS” 

http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/docsn/shxx/site/chinac/liudb/sars/lanmu/jishi/ 

The exact time of SARS outbreak for Mr. Pang of Foshan City was the evening of November 16, 2002. He was 
hospitalized for the first time on November 20… He is probably the first SARS patient we are able to trace. On 
March 12, WHO issued the first warning on the outbreak of SARS in some regions. 
http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/docsn/shxx/site/chinac/liudb/sars/lanmu/jishi/

91. Website of Chinese Embassy in Hungary, April 3, 2003 

China’s Minister of Public Health Answering Questions from Journalists of Chinese and Foreign Media, SARS 
Has Been Effectively Controlled. http://www.chinaembassy.hu/chn/xwdt/t87779.htm 

92. The Epoch Times, July 21, 2005 “SARS and Renouncing the Communist Party.” By Chen Yanhong, 
http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/5/7/21/n993167.htm 

93. Boxun Net, July 11,2003. “Jiang Yanyong: People’s Interest is Above Everything!” 

http://www.peacehall.com/news/gb/yuanqing/2003/06/200306110947.shtml 

94. Sina Net, “Beijing: Typical Procedures During Outbreak of SARS” 

http://book.sina.com.cn/2003-07-01/3/10608.shtml 

95. Website of Information Office of Hebei Provincial Government, September 12, 2003. “Exploring Greater 
Potential When We Make Breakthroughs in the Way We Think.” 

http://www.hebei.com.cn/node2/node892/node1203/node1205/userobject1ai151908.html 

96. Website of Information Office of Hebei Provincial Government, November 26, 2004. 

Xiang Jinke, Deputy Head of Propaganda Department of Hebei Province and Director of Information Office, 
gave a speech at the graduation ceremony for first training session for News spokespersons of Hebei Province. 

http://www.hebei.com.cn/node2/node1302/node1662/node1663/userobject1ai282510.html 

97. Xinhua Net, January 18, 2005. 

“With the arrangement of Information Office of the State Council, a journalist team composed of reporters from 
Xinhua News Agency, People’s Daily, China Radio International, China News Agency, Hong Kong Wenweipo, 
Associated Press, and CNN interviewed the survivors of the ‘Self-immolation’ incident, Wang Jindong, Liu 


Yunfang, and one of the organizers for the ‘self-immolation’ incident Xue Hongjun, at Zhengzhou Prison on 
January 18,” By Tian Yu. http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2005-01/18/content_2478767.htm 

98. The Epoch Times Website, February 12, 2005. Falun Gong Suspects AP and Chinese Communist Regime 
Had Dark-Room Deals, http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/5/2/12/n810289.htm 

99. South China Net, February 7, 2001. “Numerous Evidence Showed Western Journalists Involved in Falun 
Gong’s ‘Self-Immolation’ Incident. http://news.beelink.com.cn/20010207/403549.shtml 

100. The three books Broken Images: Essays on Chinese Culture and Politics, Chinese Shadows, and The 
Chairman’s New Clothes by Simon Leys are called “unavoidable cornerstones” in one’s observation of China. 
They changed the contemporary French view on China. “Simon Leys Who Changed Contemporary French 
View of China” in the May 30, 2002 issue of Beijing Spring Magazine. Author: Chen Yan in France. 
http://bjzc.org/bjs/bc/109/87 

101. People’s Daily Website: “Li Dan: Telling the World People Stories about China.” Part One. 
http://www.people.com.cn/GB/14677/22114/37734/39157/2902998.html

102. People’s Daily Website: “Li Dan: Telling the World People Stories about China.” Part Three: Seeking 
Experience from the Western World http://www.people.com.cn/GB/14677/22114/37734/39157/2903011.html 

103. People’s Daily Website: “Li Dan: Telling the World People Stories about China.” Part Four: Creating A 
New Realm for News Reporting, http://www.people.com.cn/GB/14677/22114/37734/39157/2903028.html 

104. Tianjin Foreign Trade Website, April 15, 2004. 

The implementation details for the “Intensification of effort on propaganda toward foreign countries,” By 
Foreign Propaganda Office of Tianjin City CCP Committee (Information Office of Tianjin City Government), 
http://www.goldentianjin.net.cn/kaifang/law20.htm 

105. China Net: February 22, 2005, Focal Point (Guidelines) on Radio, Film and Television Propaganda for 
2005, by State Administration of Radio, Film and Television 

http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/zhuanti/gzyd/792288.htm 

106. Tian Jin’s Biography, http://www.sarft.gov.cn/downstage/page_134_1.jsp 

107. “State Administration of Radio, Film and Television” July 13, 2005 

“Intensify and strengthen radio, film and television propaganda overseas-excerpt from National Conference on 
Overseas Radio, Film and Television Effort” http://www.sarft.gov.cn/manage/publishfile/134/3185.html 

108. “Introduction to China Foreign Language Publishing and Distribution Administration,” 
http://www.wwjtraining.com/aboutus.asp?id=17 

109. Yang Zhengquan’s Biography, http://www.people.com.cn/GB/14677/22114/37734/39506/2922865.html 


110. “Fifty Years of International Press and Publication of the new China,” by Yang Zhengquan, “new-born 
People’s Republic (of China)” refers to communist China after the CCP seized power in 1949,” 
http://www.pac.org.cn/htm/nianjian/2000/50years/50-10.asp 

111. Xinhua Net, “Large-scale Foreign Propaganda,” 

http://www.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/cmqk/dwdcb.htm 

112. Xinhua Net, March 28, 2005, How Can the News Publication Industry Adopt and Implement a Scientific 
Development Outlook. By Yu Yongzhan 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2005-03/28/content_2753564.htm 

113. “Government Pays the Bill for Translation Fee for the First Time. ‘Walk Out’ Gets Strong Push,” 
http://www.cott.org.cn/newsdetail.cfm?iCntno=5244 

114. Website of Chinese News Research Center. “Innovation and Development of the Publication Industry,” 
http://www.cddc.net/shownews.asp?newsid=9429 

115. Shandong Net, “The Colorful Culture—1999 Paris-China Culture Week.” By Yang Xuefeng, Niu Tingtao, 
http://www.sd-china.com/communion/communion-4.htm 

116. Jiangsu Net, February 5, 2004 “Zhao Qizheng, Telling the World about China.” 
http://news.jschina.com.cn/gb/jschina/news/show/chinesetime/userobject1ai434967.html 

117. Shanghai Official Website of Chinese-French Cultural Year: The Evening of Beijing and Paris; Chinese 
and French performing artists hand in hand. (Photo report) 
http://www.cfcy.sh.gov.cn/epublish/gb/paper178/1/class017800001/hwz649639.htm 

118. People’s Daily Website, November 20, 2005, speech by Guo Ke, Vice-president of School of Journalism 
and Communication, Shanghai International Studies University, http://www.tech.net.cn/sace/inter/6889.shtml 

119. Sina Net, October 13, 2003. “Exposition of Psychological Studies of Audience of China’s Overseas 
Propaganda.” By Guo Ke 

http://tech.sina.com.cn/other/2003-10-13/1647243344.shtml 

120. 

121. Jiangsu Prison Net, March 22, 2004, “How the taboo in human rights area was broken -- an unusual 
publishing experience of mine” by Wang Min, editor of Sichuan People’s Publishing Company 
http://www.jsjy.gov.cn/newsfiles/34/2005-01/4102.shtml

122. China Web and People’s Daily, March 15, 2004, by Dong Yunhu. http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/OP-
c/516604.htm


123. A Brief Introduction of Dong Yun Hu, China Youth Scitech Information Network 
http://cyc7.cycnet.com:8090/fair/bolanhui/person/person_content.jsp?p_id=632&a_id=136

124. People’s Republic of China Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Website, November 7, 2000. “Chinese 
Government signed ‘International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.’” 
http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/ziliao/wjs/2159/t9004.htm 

125. Zhejiang Online. Comments of Journalism and Communication, Chapter Four – Management of New 
Techniques in Communication, 
http://www.cjr.com.cn/gb/node2/node26108/node30205/node194934/node195050/node195053/userobject7ai1637.html 

126. Kesi Platform Net. Almanac of China’s Internet News Reports between 1995 and 2002, 
http://www.kserp.com/ks_shownews.asp?newsid=1329 

127. South China Net, October 10, 2003. “Fully Exert Our Advantages and Strengthen Foreign Propaganda.” 
Paper published on “2003 China’s Internet Media Forum” by Zhang Hong, responsible person for CRI Online. 

http://www.southcn.com/news/gdnews/zgwllt/lw/200310100966.htm 

128. Jiangsu Net. “The Past Five Years of China’s Internet Media Industry.” Reprinting from “International 
Media Circles” 4th issue, 2000, page 27. 

http://review.jschina.com.cn/gb/jschina/news/xzzj/node1490/userobject1ai12863.html 

129. Investigation records: the Foreign Propaganda Office makes use of the overseas embassies to carry on anti-
Falun Gong brainwashing propaganda. For example: 
The Embassy of The People’s Republic of China in Canada website, 

consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in San Francisco website, 

Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Kingdom of Denmark website, 

Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Switzerland website, Consulate-General of the People’s Republic 
of China in Sydney website, http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/ziliao/wzzt/2295/default.htm 

130. China Internet Information Center, Nov. 14, 2003, “News Website Construction and Development,” by the 
Foreign Propaganda Office, http://www.cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2003/11/14/1302.htm 

131. Chinese Communication Forum, news from China Media Reports (Hong Kong) 1st issue, 2003, “The State 
Security during Media globalization, viewing media’s cross border broadcast from the international strategic 
perspective” (Xia Lin, Vice-Chief-editor of Xinhua News Agency, Senior Reporter) 
http://ruanzixiao.diy.myrice.com/cmqxhsddgjaq.htm 

Footnote: Please refer to another WOIPFG investigation report, “Overseas Propaganda Department of the 
Chinese Communist Party Central Community is the Leading Center for the Slanderous Propaganda in the 
Persecution of Falun Gong.” 

http://www.zhuichaguoji.org/cn/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=510&pop=1&page=0