Subject: timetolive for partial sending and PR-SCTP

From: Anders Torger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:54:53 +0200

A number of questions concerning the timetolive parameter:

How is the timetolive timer treated for messages using the partially 
send API?

Is the timer started when the first fragment of the message enters the 
kernel (I would guess so!), or the last fragment?

When is the timer dropped when PR-SCTP is not enabled, when the first 
fragment is sent, or when the last fragment is sent? (I would guess the 
first!).

For PR-SCTP, should the timer be dropped only when the last fragment has 
been successfully delivered and ack'd by the peer?

/Anders Torger

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:25:37 -0400

> kernel (I would guess so!), or the last fragment?

First of course..

> fragment is sent, or when the last fragment is sent? (I would guess the 

Once something hits the wire it is never dropped.. so if you send
any piece.. you no longer have the timer running..

> been successfully delivered and ack'd by the peer?

Yep..  you have to get all the msg across by the time out value.

R

-- 
Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)