Subject: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-6man-reserved-iids-01

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:03:57 -0500

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

While this document itself does not have any security issues (it's
just creating a registry with IANA) it brings up some interesting
points.  First, what methods should IANA use to "authenticate and
authorize" entities to create or update changes to the registry?  But
more importantly, what's to stop a rogue system from declaring itself
to use one of the reserved addresses?  And what happens to the network
as a whole if a system does this?

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir