Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-06.txt

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:10:48 +0100

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

  This document extends IPv6 mobility and NEMO specifications to include
support for IPv4.

  Overall, the document is clear.  My comments are as follows.

  The Home Agent Discovery in Section 3.1 explicitly depends on DNS.  As
there are well-known issues with DNS security, the document should have
some discussion on the the (in)security of the DNS protocol.  It should
include possible ways that malicious DNS can be used to subvert this
protocol.  If that is not possible, it should describe why, or refer to
other documents that explain why attacks on DNS cannot be leveraged to
attack this protocol.

  There is a typo in the header of Section 5.1. "Tunelling" should be
spelled "Tunneling".  A similar typo is in the header of Section 5.1.1.
  "tunnelling" should be "Tunneling".

  The Security section contains a large amount of text that appears to
be normative requirements on the behavior of the systems (6.2).  If it
is normative, I would suggest placing it in a separate section.  If it
is just examples, then I would also suggest placing it in a separate
section.

  Alan DeKok.
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir