Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-netconf-tls-07.txt

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:08:28 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

I apologize for doing this so late.

This document defines how to use TLS to secure NETCONF exchanges.

I don't have any security issues but I do I have a question about the 
last paragraph in 2.1.  It says that TLS 1.2 MUST be supported and that 
future versions of TLS will also be supported and those mandatory to 
implement algorithms MUST also be supported.  is that also saying that 
an implementation must support all future version of TLS too?

spt

---

From: Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:14:59 +0100

Dear Sean Turner,
Thank you for your review.

> I don't have any security issues but I do I have a question about the last
> paragraph in 2.1.  It says that TLS 1.2 MUST be supported and that future
> versions of TLS will also be supported and those mandatory to implement
> algorithms MUST also be supported.  is that also saying that an
> implementation must support all future version of TLS too?
>
>
   This document is assumed to apply to
   future versions of TLS, in which case the mandatory to implement
   cipher suite for the implemented version MUST be supported.

If a future TLS version is implemented, so the mandatory cipher suite of
that version must also be supported. But this doesn't mean it is mandatory
to support any future TLS versions.

Best regards
Badra