Subject: [secdir] [New-work] WG Review: Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, March 25, 2009.

Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Last Modified: 2009-03-12

Group Description:

The Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore) working group 
is chartered to maintain and continue the development of the 
core SIP specifications, currently defined as proposed standard 
RFCs 3261, 3262, 3263, 3264, and 3265.

The SIPCore working group will concentrate on specifications that
update or replace the core SIP specifications. In this context,
"update" means replacing or modifying protocol elements in the above
listed RFCs in ways that would affect most or all implementations of
those RFCs alone. Extensions to SIP that add new functionality that
would not be required of all implementations will be done outside of
this WG. The process and requirements for such extensions are
documented in RFC 3427bis, "Change Process for the Session Initiation
Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic
model and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and
integrating with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements will be a) interoperability
problems that stem from ambiguous or under-defined specification,
and b) requirements from other working groups in the RAI Area.

Although in general the WG will not work on extensions to SIP, it
may take on some previous work items from the SIP working group
to allow for a smooth transition. The adoption of new items requires
explicit agreement from the AD or rechartering.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2009 Identify requirements for test matrix to move 3261 to
Draft Standard
Mar 2009 Essential corrections to RFC 3261 (1st batch) to IESG (PS)
May 2009 Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to
IESG (PS)
May 2009 INFO package framework to IESG (PS)

_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/secdir