Subject: [secdir] [New-work] WG Review: Open Authentication Protocol (oauth)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.  The
IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.  Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday,
May 5, 2009.

Open Authentication Protocol (oauth)
-------------------------------------

Last Modified: 2009-04-06

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):

TBD

Applications Area Director(s):

Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:

TBD

Mailing Lists:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth

Description of Working Group:

OAuth allows a user to grant a third-party Web site or 
application access to their resources, without necessarily 
revealing their credentials, or even their identity. For 
example, a photo-sharing site that supports OAuth would 
allow its users to use a third-party printing Web site to 
access their private pictures, without gaining full control 
of the user account.

OAuth consists of:
* A mechanism for exchanging a user's credentials for a 
token-secret pair which can be used by a third party to 
access resources ontheir behalf.
* A mechanism for signing HTTP requests with the token-
secret pair.

The Working Group will produce one or more documents 
suitable for consideration as Proposed Standard that will:
* Improve the terminology used.
* Embody good security practice, or document gaps in its
capabilities, and propose a path forward for addressing the 
gap.
* Promote interoperability.
* Provide guidelines for extensibility.

This specifically means that as a starting point for the 
working group OAuth 1.0 (i.e., draft-hammer-oauth-00.txt), 
which is a copy of the original OAuth specification in IETF 
draft format, is used and the available extension points 
are going to be utilized. In completing its work to profile 
OAuth 1.0 to become OAuth 1.1, the group will strive to 
retain backwards compatibility with the OAuth 1.0 
specification.  However, changes that are not backwards 
compatible might be accepted if the group determines that 
the changes are required to meet the group's technical 
objectives and the group clearly documents the reasons for 
making them.

Furthermore, OAuth 1.0 defines three signature methods used 
to protect requests, namely PLAINTEXT, HMAC-SHA1, and RSA-
SHA1. The group will work on new signature methods and will 
describe the environments where new security requirements 
justify their usage. Existing signature methods will not be 
modified but may be dropped as part of the backwards 
compatible profiling activity. The applicability of 
existing and new signature methods to protocols other than 
HTTP will be investigated.

The Working Group should consider:
* Implementer experience.
* The end-user experience, including internationalization.
* Existing uses of OAuth.
* Ability to achieve broad implementation.
* Ability to address broader use cases than may be 
contemplated by the original authors.

After delivering OAuth 1.1, the Working Group may consider 
defining additional functions and/or extensions, for 
example (but not limited to):
* Discovery of OAuth configuration, e.g., 
http://oauth.net/discovery/1.0.
* Comprehensive message integrity, e.g., 
http://oauth.googlecode.com/svn/spec/ext/body_hash/1.0/draf
ts/1/spec.html.
* Recommendations regarding the structure of the token.
* Localization, e.g.,
http://oauth.googlecode.com/svn/spec/ext/language_preferenc
e/1.0/drafts/2/spec.html.
* Session-oriented tokens, e.g.,
http://oauth.googlecode.com/svn/spec/ext/session/1.0/drafts
/1/spec.html.
* Alternate token exchange profiles, e.g., draft-dehora-
farrell-oauth-accesstoken-creds-00.

The work on extensions is within the scope of the working 
group charter and requires consensus within the group to 
add new milestones.

The Working Group will also define a generally applicable 
HTTP authentication mechanism (i.e., browser-based "2-leg" 
scenerio).

Goals and Milestones:

Apr 2009 Submit 'OAuth: HTTP Authorization Delegation 
Protocol' as working group item (draft-hammer-oauth will be 
used as a starting point for further work.)
Jul 2009 Submit a document as a working group item 
providing the functionality of the 2-legged HTTP 
authentication mechanism
Jul 2009 Start of discussion about OAuth extensions the 
group should work on
Oct 2009 Start Working Group Last Call on 'OAuth: HTTP
Authorization Delegation Protocol'
Nov 2009 Submit 'OAuth: HTTP Authorization Delegation 
Protocol' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
Standard
Nov 2009 Start Working Group Last Call on the 2-legged HTTP
authentication mechanism document
Nov 2009 Prepare milestone update to start new work within 
the scope of the charter
Dec 2009 Submit 2-legged HTTP authentication mechanism 
document to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
Standard

_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/secdir