Subject: [secdir] [New-work] WG Review: Network-Based Mobility Extensions (netext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.  The IESG
has not made any determination as yet.  The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.  Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, April
21, 2009.

Network-Based Mobility Extensions (netext)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Last Modified: 2009-04-03

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Internet Area Director(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
TBD

Mailing Lists:
http://www.mobileip.jp/mailman/listinfo/netext

Description of Working Group:

Proxy Mobile IPv6, specified in RFC 5213, is a network-based mobility
protocol. It uses a Mobile Access Gateway (MAG) and a Local Mobility
Anchor (LMA) to allow hosts to move around within a domain while keeping
their address or address prefix stable. Proxy Mobile IPv6 has been
incorporated into a number of products and deployments are starting.
Certain deployment considerations, including localized routing and bulk
refresh of lifetime are already emerging.

The working group will focus on the following topics relevant for
network-based mobility:

Localized Routing: a specification for routing traffic between the
MAG(s) without involving the LMA. That is, allow the MAGs to route
traffic between hosts from one MAG to another, without being tunneled
all the way to the LMA. This reduces latency and backhaul load.
Applications such as voice can benefit from the reduced latency. Hosts
are not affected, as they still send and receive their packets via the
MAG.

Bulk Refresh: a specification of improving the signaling load for
binding lifetime refresh. The current specifications call for the
handling of each mobility session independent of each other. When a
large number of hosts are served by a single MAG, a periodic refresh of
the binding lifetimes can lead to a signaling storm. The purpose of the
Bulk Refresh feature is to construct a protocol feature that allows such
refreshes to occur on a per-MAG basis.

LMA Redirection: a specification for allowing an LMA to redirect a MAG
to another LMA. This is primarily needed as a way to perform load
balancing, and is complementary to the initial LMA discovery work in the
NETLMM WG.

The proposed activity will be complementary to the existing IETF Working
Groups, notably the NETLMM and MEXT WGs. The NETEXT working group will
also act as the primary forum where new extensions on top of the Proxy
Mobile IPv6 protocol can be developed. The addition of such new
extensions to the working group involves addition of the extension to
this charter through the normal rechartering process.

Milestones

May 2009 WG chartered
July 2009 Initial WG draft on Bulk Refresh
September 2009 Initial WG draft on LMA Redirection
November 2009 Initial WG draft on Route Optimization
December 2009 Submit Bulk Refresh to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC
January 2009 Submit LMA Redirection to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC
April 2010 Submit Route Optimization to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard RFC
_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/secdir