Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-ltru-4645bis-10

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:27:49 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. 
  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security 
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

My heart sank when I was assigned this document because it's 950 pages, 
but 940ish of the pages are a registry ;)

This document provides procedures to update the IANA Language Subtag 
Registry.  The Subtags are copied from ISO documents.  I can't think of 
any security concerns for the procedures themselves.  The Security 
Considerations section points to draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-21.txt for any 
issue with tags themselves.

Assuming the copy from the ISO document was exact, I support this 
document becoming an RFC

spt

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:50:26 -0600

Sean Turner <turners at ieca dot com> wrote:

> My heart sank when I was assigned this document because it's 950 
> pages, but 940ish of the pages are a registry ;)
>
> Registry.  The Subtags are copied from ISO documents.

Not all of them, and not exactly.  They are adapted from ISO documents 
and from the existing Registry according to the process described in the 
other 10ish pages.

> I can't think of any security concerns for the procedures themselves. 
> The Security Considerations section points to 
> draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-21.txt for any issue with tags themselves.
>

I'm glad to see the support.  However, I'd like to be sure it is for the 
right reasons.  Other reviewers who read this and assume the Registry is 
copied exactly from ISO sources may balk when they find that it is not 
exact.  The text explains everything.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
Editor, draft-ietf-ltru-4645bis
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ