Subject: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:47:09 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

   The Routing Over Low power and Lossy network (ROLL) Working Group has 
   been chartered to work on routing solutions for Low Power and Lossy 
   networks (LLN) in various markets: Industrial, Commercial (Building), 
   Home and Urban. Pursuant to this effort, this document defines the 
   routing requirements for building automation. 

The Security Considerations appear to take into account various
requirements for different systems.  What seems to be lacking is
direction about how or when to apply various requirements and what
it means to the deployment.

For example, what would it mean to a deployment if it has
authentication versus not having authentication?  Also, it's unclear
how these requirements would apply to an implementor.

Variable security policies is a good idea, but it requires more
guidance because the end user will never understand the ramifications
of choosing one policy over another.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:17:02 +0100

Derek,

I appreciate the review and hope that it will be useful to the authors.

Since a new revision is expected, maybe the authors will be able to work 
with this.

Cheers,
Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:47 PM
Subject: sec-dir review of draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt