Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-05

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

  This draft adds some new types verify connectivity and signal fault
detection or fault status over a Pseudowire. It states that it introduces
no new security issues beyond those defined in RFC 5085 and a couple of
I-Ds on Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) and that seems to be
correct. I see no security issues with this draft.

  On a non-security issue though, it appears that when doing IP
encapsulation of BFD it sends to a randomly selected IP address from the
loopback. I always thought that a loopback address MUST NOT appear outside
a router or host. Has that changed or am I misunderstanding something
about this draft?

  regards,

  Dan.

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:57:02 -0400

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your review and the security-focus validation of the  
document.
Regarding the non-security issue, your understanding of the draft is  
correct; however this is already addressed in S3.2 of the draft:
      "The destination IP address
       is a (randomly chosen) IPv4 address from the range 127/8 or IPv6
       address from the range 0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:127.0.0.0/104.  The
       rationale is explained in Section 2.1 of [RFC4379]."
Hope this clarifies and thanks again for your review.

--
Thumb typed by Carlos Pignataro.