Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of [email-masked]

From: Ran Canetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:12:35 -0400

***   I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
***   ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
***   IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
***   security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
***   these comments just like any other last call comments.

The draft describes potential threats and attacks, and consequently 
security requirements for the Access Note Control Protocol. (This protocol
allows configuring the components of DSL connections to the Internet.)

My main comment is that most (if not all) of the attacks seem to be generic 
  man-in-the-middle and DOS attacks. Also the short list of security 
requirements that are derived from these attacks (section 8) seem pretty 
generic authentication and secrecy requirements for Internet connections.
It would be nice to differentiate and highlight the security threats and 
concerns that are special to the ANCS setting. In particular, what are the 
trust relationships between the different  protocol principals/entities? 
Are they all run by the same administrative domain?  Also, are all links 
equally untrusted, or are there links that are less trusted than others?
Also, are all attacks equally devestating? Which are more costly/important 
to prevent?

Best,
Ran

_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/secdir