Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-v6-ext-communities-02

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:26:48 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

Abstract:

   Current specifications of BGP Extended Communities [RFC4360] support
   IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, but do not support IPv6
   Address Specific Extended Community. The lack of IPv6 Address
   Specific Extended Community may be a problem when an application uses
   IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, and one wants to use this
   application in a pure IPv6 environment. This document defines a new
   BGP attribute, IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community that
   addresses this problem. The IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community
   is similar to the IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, except
   that it carries an IPv6 address rather than an IPv4 address.

The security considerations section states that "All the security
considerations for BGP Extended Communities apply" which I think is
reasonable given the scope of the document. As a result I have no
security concerns with this document.

--julien