Subject: [secdir] README: Change in review deadlines

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:03:43 -0400 (EDT)

Summary: please complete last call reviews by the end of the last 
call.

Details: based on feedback from doc authors and the IESG, the ADs 
announced in Stockholm that they would prefer our initial reviews be 
sent by the end of IETF last call.  That way, our comments can be 
processed along with any other last call comments and aren't an 
unpleasant late surprise to doc editors.

We previously asked for reviews within seven days, though most of us 
were in the habit of letting that slip, often until the doc appeared 
on telechat.  Most last calls are at least two weeks and often four 
weeks.  Depending on how the last call announcement and assignment 
cycles interact, this means that we should have at least one week and 
usually more to get the review done.

To facilitate this, we have added a deadline field to the review 
assignment messages.  This should list the last call end date (or, for 
docs scheduled on an IESG telechat, the Tuesday before the telechat), 
but there may be errors in some of the dates, especially for older 
documents.  Feel free to check the last call announcement to be 
certain.  Also, since there were no assignments made during the 
Stockholm meeting, some of you are getting assignments of docs with 
last calls ending in the next few days.  Knowing that this is a change 
in practice, feel free to take a week to get those done.

I may also be shifting the assignment schedule somewhat to allow more 
time for reviews.  Expect to see some variation.

If you'd like more visibility into your secdir assignments and 
history, I can give you access to the review assignment tool.  Just 
drop me a note.  (Despite an announcement about this at San Francisco, 
we didn't open the tool up for experimentation then.)

And we're adding a few new members: Tina TSOU is on the list now, and 
Russ Mundy will be joining us soon.

As always, let me know when you're going to be offline for an 
extended period, particularly if you're in the next few names in the 
rotation.

-- Sam