Subject: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-enum-iax-05

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:46:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

  I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

  draft-ietf-enum-iax-05 registers the Inter-Asterisk eXchange (IAX)
protocol according to the guidelines specified in ENUM (RFC 3751).
The registration requirements of RFC 3751 specify that a registration
proposal must have a security analysis and this draft says:

     "this Enumservice provides another fact, visible to anyone
      anonymously, that may be harvested and possibly exploited."

While this is correct I think it would be better use to the language of
RFC 3751 section 3.1.3(2) and say something like: "the protocol provides
for disclosure of information that may facilitate an attack or a
violation of user privacy in some way." Also, this draft has a typo in
section 4: RFC 3822 should be RFC 3833. Other than that, I have no
problems with the draft's security considerations.

  regards,

  Dan.