Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-04

From: Shawn M Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:53:09 -0600

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This draft describes various network congestion/latency issues faced by 
P2P and client/server applications, and offers guidance for resolving 
these issues by providing these applications network topology and 
bandwidth information, etc.

The security considerations section does exist and describes that the 
solutions to these network issues involves a 3rd party that both sends 
and receives sensitive information for the applications.  The draft then 
suggests that this information should be protected/authenticated and 
references the requirements document, draft-ietf-alto-reqs, for this 
guidance.  draft-ietf-alto-reqs outlines security requirements, such as 
mutual authentication, privacy, etc.  So really I didn't find any 
security issues within the scope of the reviewed document.

General comments(s):

Thanks for including the various examples.

Editorial comment(s):

s/with a public/with public/

-- 
Shawn.