Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-altman-tls-channel-bindings-07.txt

From: Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:23:10 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document defines channel binding types for Transport Layer
Security (TLS), in accordance with RFC 5056.

The security considerations section seems adequate to me (especially
the discussion about the consequences of sending channel binding data
in the authentication mechanism).

It would have been nice with an example of an authentication mechanism
using one of the channel bindings in this document, perhaps in the
form of an illustrative appendix.

Nits:

-Section 2 should reference RFC 5056, not RFC 5246.
-There should be some spell checking, like "descritption"

-- Magnus

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:23:36 -0500

> these comments just like any other last call comments.

Thanks!

> form of an illustrative appendix.

I could certainly add a small example, particularly now that SCRAM is
approved for publication.

> -Section 2 should reference RFC 5056, not RFC 5246.

Yes, thanks.  This will be fixed.

> -There should be some spell checking, like "descritption"

As will this.

(I'll look into an XML syntax-aware spell check module for VIM.  If I
had such a thing I'd use it.)

Nico
--