Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-07

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:54:11 -0800

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's  
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the  
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the  
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat  
these comments just like any other last call comments.
Section 9, Security Considerations.
"The architecture for GMPLS controlled "transport" Ethernet assumes  
that the network consists of trusted devices"   I believe what is  
meant is "The architecture for GMPLS controlled "transport" Ethernet  
assumes    that the GMPLS core network consists of trusted devices".   
This is fairly vague, and it would be useful to use the terms from  
draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework-07, and say  
something like "A GMPLS controlled "transport" Ethernet system should  
assume that users and devices attached to UNIs may behave maliciously,  
negligently, or incorrectly.  Providers are trusted to not be  
malicious."
The document refers the reader to draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls- 
security-framework-07 for most security considerations, which is a  
fair thing to do.
draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework-07 recommends  
encryption, so I suggest adding a reference to IEEE 802.1AE Media  
Access Control (MAC) Security, like this: "Cryptography can be used to  
protect against many attacks described in [draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and- 
gmpls-security-framework-07].  One option for protecting "transport"  
Ethernet is the use of 802.1AE Media Access Control Security, which  
provides encryption and authentication."
Nit: Section 1. "SONET/SDH TDM" needs a comma
regards,
David

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:18:30 -0500

Thank you for the comments!