Subject: [secdir] New Mailing List: cgasec

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:43:09 -0400

Hi All,

We've put together a mailing list to discuss the use of  
Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGAs) for security purposes  
across the internet.  The list address is [email-masked].  To  
subscribe, go to:  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cgasec.

We have published a draft in this area that can be found here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dong-savi-cga-header/

Abstract:

This document specifies an IPv6 extension header called the  
Cryptographically Generated Address (CGA) Extension Header. The CGA  
Extension Header holds the CGA parameters associated with the source  
CGA of an IPv6 packet. This information can be used to validate that a  
particular packet was sent by the node associated with a specific CGA,  
enabling secure IPv6 address-based access control mechanisms.
We're planning to hold a Bar BOF (the old fashioned kind, in a bar,  
with no presentations) in Maastricht to discuss the above draft and  
other possible work in this area.

Please send any feedback on the above document to the [email-masked]  
mailing list.  Please avoid cross-pointing your feedback to the full  
to: list on this message, unless you believe that it is pertinent to  
the hundreds or low thousands of people included on this message.   
Thank you.

We will be holding an old-fashioned Bar BOF in Maastricht (in a bar,  
no presentations), probably on Thursday night for folks who are  
interested in working our proposal, or related work in this technical  
area.  Further details about the bar BOF will be announced early next  
week, after I get to Maastricht and can scope out a location.

There has also been some earlier work in this area by Julien Lagnier,  
but I do not have a current reference.  Julien it is not my intention  
to omit your work from this discussion, so please feel free to send a  
pointer.

Margaret

---

From: "Laganier, Julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:40:20 -0700

Hi Margaret, all,

Margaret Wasserman wrote: 
> [...]

FWIW - here's a pointer:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-laganier-ike-ipv6-cga

Abstract

   This document describes IKEv2 peer authentication via IPv6
   Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA).  This technique have
   been proposed to solve several security issues in the absence of any
   centralized trusted security infrastructure and without any pre-
   arrangements, to provide IPsec self-evident authentication mode
   between IPv6 nodes or security gateways.

(IPsec is misspelled IPSec on the online dratf, I've corrected in the copy/paste above :)

--julien