Subject: [secdir] [New-work] WG Review: Recharter of Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Transparent Interconnection
of Lots of Links (trill) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. 
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments
to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Thursday, July 29, 2010.

Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)
----------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last updated: 2010-07-22

Chairs:
  Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
  Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
  Archive:	http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge

Description of Working Group

  The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
  routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
  arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
  technology and encapsulation with a hop count.

  The current work of the working group is around operational and
  deployment support for the protocol. This includes a MIB module and
  other pieces needed for operations, but also additional ways to
  extend and optimize TRILL for the properties of the networks on
  which it is deployed.

  The WG will work on the following items:

  (1) A MIB module for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed
  for the protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB module and
  the IEEE 802.1 MIB modules for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

  (2) Addition of optional support for ARP / Neighbor Discovery
  optimization.

  (3) Refinement of the TRILL Header Options feature and specification
  of an initial base set of options.

  (4) Support for RBridge campus VLAN regions, such that the same VLAN
  ID can have different meanings in different regions, requiring
  configuration only at border RBridges.

  (5) Write up how Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)
  will be handled in networks using TRILL.

  (6) Determine how the support the TRILL protocol provides for data
  centers can be improved, such as by adding support of the IEEE 802.1
  "Data Center Bridging" standards.

  (7) Document interoperability test results of protocol
  implementations.

Goals and Milestones:
  Done     - Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
  Done     - Accept problem statement and applicability as a WG work
             item
  Done     - Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL
             extensions
  Done     - Accept architecture document as a WG work item
  Done     - Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
  Done     - Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements
  Done     - Submit problem statement and applicability to IESG for
             Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit base protocol specification to IEEE/IETF expert
             review
  Done     - Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for
             publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - First draft showing what is needed for a MIB module

NEW:
  Done     - Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping
  Done     - Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options
  Jul 2010 - Initial WG draft on ARP/ND optimizations
  Aug 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge MIB module
  Aug 2010 - Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as
             Proposed Standard
  Aug 2010 - Submit RBridge Campus VLAN Regions to IESG for
             publication as Proposed Standard
  Oct 2010 - Submit RBridge MIB module to IESG for publication as
             Proposed Standard
  Oct 2010 - Submit TRILL ARP/ND optimizations to IESG for publication
             as Proposed Standard
  Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft for RBridge support of Data Center
             Bridging
  Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM
  Apr 2011 - Submit RBridge support of Data Center Bridging to IESG
             for publication as Proposed Standard
  Apr 2011 - Submit RBridge OAM to IESG for publication as Proposed
             Standard 
  Jul 2011 - Re-charter or shut down the WG

_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work