Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-isis-genapp

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:58:24 -0700

This document is about using the reliable flooding mechanism of IS-IS
to advertise information for applications unrelated to IS-IS in a way
that doesn't use up "T" values in the TLV encoding.

So, since it's just syntax, there really aren't any security considerations.

It would have been nice if the authors explained what "V" "I" "D" and
"S" mean in the context of the flags, as in, what word is "V" the
first letter of, what word is "I" the first letter of...

Unless I missed it in the spec, the authors just give rules like:

                 D bit (0x02): When the GENINFO TLV is leaked from
                 level-2 to level-1, the D bit MUST be set. Otherwise
                 this bit MUST be clear. GENINFO TLVs with the D bit set
                 MUST NOT be leaked from level-1 to level-2. This is to
                 prevent TLV looping.

                 I bit (0x04): When the I bit is set the 4 octet IPv4
                 address associated with the application immediately
                 follows the Application ID.

Radia

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:34:50 -0700

Well, I think it would be good to repeat saying "Scope"and "Down" in
this document, and try to think of some words that start with "I" and
"V" that make some sense in the context of how those flags are used,.

Radia

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Radia -
>
> The use of "D" and "S" is copied from RFCs 4971/5305. The initials were
> not further identified there and we used identical text in describing
> them. (That's my excuse anyway)
>
> As a point of information:
>
> "S" - flooding "Scope"
> "D" - Indicates the TLV has been leaked "Down" from Level2 to level1
>
> The choice of the letters "I" and "V" was arbitrary.
>
>   Les
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Radia Perlman [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 2:58 PM
>> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
>> [email-masked]
>> Subject: secdir review of draft-ietf-isis-genapp
>>

---

From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:15:51 -0700

Radia -

"S" - flooding "Scope"

   Les